I can front squat without knee pain, but not back squat.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I can do front squat completely fine, but when I do back squats I always have knee pain. I am doing box squats and boxed front squats.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Get a vid. Willing to bet you're leaning pretty far forward on the back squat but there's not much most can do other than offer conjecture.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Get a vid. Willing to bet you're leaning pretty far forward on the back squat but there's not much most can do other than offer conjecture.
I'll try and take a video now and upload it, keep in mind I have a very crappy camera.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
I'll try and take a video now and upload it, keep in mind I have a very crappy camera.
You weren't kidding... Very difficult to see shin position... I'm gonna bow out. What I mentioned previously is the biggest culprit I know for knee pain. Even on a hack if I put my feet low and my knees get past my toes I do get a bit of pain. Here's a question, does it hurt on a smith machine?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You weren't kidding... Very difficult to see shin position... I'm gonna bow out. What I mentioned previously is the biggest culprit I know for knee pain. Even on a hack if I put my feet low and my knees get past my toes I do get a bit of pain. Here's a question, does it hurt on a smith machine?
I workout at home, so I don't have access to a smith machine. I can try another video at a lower angle maybe.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Nevermind. There is no way I can record it by myself.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, we can't see your knees!!

What I did notice is:

Your unrack sucks. You "good morning" it out of the rack. Get your hips underneath you, hamstring tight, feet torqued in, and squat it up to unrack it.

Now, once you walk it out, you don't even acquire any bracing before you initiate the squat. The second you get your last foot walked out, you continue into the squat. I'm not saying to take your sweet time and and waste energy, but walk it out, set your feet, squeeze your glutes and brace your core to maintain a braced neutral spine. Then break at the hips, sit down and back, while either "spreading the floor" with your feet, or "screwing your feet into the ground. That will allow your to gain some tension, your hips open up, and your knees move outwards, in return-giving you a more perpendicular shin angle (which may be the culprit to your knee issues)

Then when you lock out you're squat, fully lock it out, just don't stand up and go directly into the rack. Squeeze your glutes and finish it off. Your lower back will feel better.

Also, tight muscles can contribute to knee pain as well. You should get a video of your front squat, too, so we can see what the differences are.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Why the box?

And if front squatting doesn't hurt, and you're not worried about a competition squat, then just continue front squatting if you can resolve the knee issue.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

What I did notice is:

Your unrack sucks. You "good morning" it out of the rack. Get your hips underneath you, hamstring tight, feet torqued in, and squat it up to unrack it.

Now, once you walk it out, you don't even acquire any bracing before you initiate the squat. The second you get your last foot walked out, you continue into the squat. I'm not saying to take your sweet time and and waste energy, but walk it out, set your feet, squeeze your glutes and brace your core to maintain a braced neutral spine. Then break at the hips, sit down and back, while either "spreading the floor" with your feet, or "screwing your feet into the ground. That will allow your to gain some tension, your hips open up, and your knees move outwards, in return-giving you a more perpendicular shin angle (which may be the culprit to your knee issues)

Then when you lock out you're squat, fully lock it out, just don't stand up and go directly into the rack. Squeeze your glutes and finish it off. Your lower back will feel better.

Also, tight muscles can contribute to knee pain as well. You should get a video of your front squat, too, so we can see what the differences are.

And if front squatting doesn't hurt, and you're not worried about a competition squat, then just continue front squatting if you can resolve the knee issue.
Yeah, I know. I tried to record my knees, but I can't get the angle right and right now no one else is here to help me. I'll upload a video later tonight of my front squat. The reason I started box squatting, is because when the weight gets heavier I have the habit of not squatting low enough.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Well, we can't see your knees!! What I did notice is: Your unrack sucks. You "good morning" it out of the rack. Get your hips underneath you, hamstring tight, feet torqued in, and squat it up to unrack it. Now, once you walk it out, you don't even acquire any bracing before you initiate the squat. The second you get your last foot walked out, you continue into the squat. I'm not saying to take your sweet time and and waste energy, but walk it out, set your feet, squeeze your glutes and brace your core to maintain a braced neutral spine. Then break at the hips, sit down and back, while either "spreading the floor" with your feet, or "screwing your feet into the ground. That will allow your to gain some tension, your hips open up, and your knees move outwards, in return-giving you a more perpendicular shin angle (which may be the culprit to your knee issues) Then when you lock out you're squat, fully lock it out, just don't stand up and go directly into the rack. Squeeze your glutes and finish it off. Your lower back will feel better. Also, tight muscles can contribute to knee pain as well. You should get a video of your front squat, too, so we can see what the differences are. What kind of shoes do you wear? Why the box? And if front squatting doesn't hurt, and you're not worried about a competition squat, then just continue front squatting if you can resolve the knee issue.
I was hoping one of you power guys would jump in. Squat isn't one of my best lifts to explain. Need bench advice I got it but not squat. Glad to see you validate my shin angle theory though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was hoping one of you power guys would jump in. Squat isn't one of my best lifts to explain. Need bench advice I got it but not squat. Glad to see you validate my shin angle theory though.
Shin angle is shoes are big. And everyone squats differently too, so it's ultimately up to the person to find what's "right"

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I know. I tried to record my knees, but I can't get the angle right and right now no one else is here to help me. I'll upload a video later tonight of my front squat. The reason I started box squatting, is because when the weight gets heavier I have the habit of not squatting low enough.
Well, if it's too heavy in the hole at proper depth, sucks to say this, but the load may be too heavy then, considering that's the weakest part of the lift for a raw squatter.

And sounds good dude.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well, if it's too heavy in the hole at proper depth, sucks to say this, but the load may be too heavy then, considering that's the weakest part of the lift for a raw squatter.

And sounds good dude.
Yeah I know, I lighted the weight as well, but without a guide even starting at light weight I seem to always want to do partial squats. I mean I like box squatting, so I'd like to continue to do them. Also maybe I should state, that I am flat footed and I don't wear any shoes while squatting.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
Try pushing your knees out, many people let knees cave in while rising. Keep your knees in line with your toes. Meaning if your toes are facing slightly out push your knees out also. Helped my knee pain a ton. Also fish oil and glucosamine with msm. Upped my doses

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

What I did notice is:

Sean's good post as usual^.

Agree too, with almost rushing onto the box.
IMO, keep your form and speed to box the same no matter if it is just the bar, or max weight. Slow deliberate descending down to the box (no flopping onto it) and keep an arch, (up right, chest up, putting your balls on the box helps cement that arch in too. I don't rock "back" either. Then take that same form and just do it as a free squat. If a box squat does not hurt your knees, then the back squat should not either, IMO!?

Depending on your shoes and heels (that can make a dif on knee angles) and you need to get a good vid of the shins feet etc. to see where the shins track. They need to stay over the feet and not torque in or out.

I think this guy has been said to be pretty good at them, and I guess most importantly, his back squat looks almost exactly like this without the box...

Box Squats - YouTube

Ignore the loads being used here, (as learning to squat is not about how much but how well and efficient you do it and he is also using a suit) but just watch as he has pretty much the same form (as if he were going to a box) but is doing a free squat...

jo jordan squat training - YouTube

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
to record your legs, put the camera on the ground please

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Took some still shots from the video using the plates as reference from start to "lockout."

"spreading the floor" with your feet, or "screwing your feet into the ground. That will allow your to gain some tension, your hips open up, and your knees move outwards
I find that my knee pain is least when my feet are parallel to eachother (straight) and my knees push outward like they're tied together and I'm trying to pop the string. Foot position is, of course, very individual - I recommend experimenting. Do you use a different position in the bs than the fs? Also make sure you are 100% on your heels. Moving your weight forward (which, from the vid, looks like what's up) will put you up on the ball of your foot, causing knee pain.
Then when you lock out you're squat, fully lock it out, just don't stand up and go directly into the rack. Squeeze your glutes and finish it off. .
This... you lean forward at the end of your squat. Hang out and enjoy the lockout a hot second, haha.
Front squats are pretty awesome by themselves. While back squats are great, if they're causing injury, you're not going to get far.
The reason I started box squatting, is because when the weight gets heavier I have the habit of not squatting low enough.
In that case, quit taking a nap on the box. Just barely grace it with your presence and leave. Lean back, give the box a butt-tap, and go. If the box is merely a reference point, there's no need to take a vacation on it. You're letting out all of your tension, which you need to get back out of the hole properly.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
http://s37.photobucket.com/user/BrainStorm_wow/media/Front01_zps035acb71.mp4.html
http://s37.photobucket.com/user/BrainStorm_wow/media/Front02_zps829b7781.mp4.html
I'll try and take videos of my shin position. Yes I put the camera on the ground, but it winds up being up too high, or too low. All I have is a 10 year old point and click camera to work with. No smart phone and no video camera. I'm not sure if I can even get shoes to train in. I wear an 11 1/2 4E and I am extremely flat footed(zero arch). It's impossible to find shoes with no support in them at that size. I'll have to learn to squat bare foot.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The one thing I would ask, unless I missed it, what kind of knee pain do you experience? Is it front of knee (patellar tendon) or internal (meniscus, perhaps or one of the internal ligaments)? One knee or both knees? I've had patellar tendonitis in both knees since college from constant jump training, and in order for me to be able to perform squats w/o knee pain I have to thoroughly warm up, but I also need to start with light weight and a narrow stance, then I can start working to a wider stance with heavier weights. I also focus on a very slow descent before I drive up. These 3 strategies have allowed me to sqaut with virtually no knee pain. If I don't follow them then my knees ache during and for days after.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The one thing I would ask, unless I missed it, what kind of knee pain do you experience? Is it front of knee (patellar tendon) or internal (meniscus, perhaps or one of the internal ligaments)? One knee or both knees? I've had patellar tendonitis in both knees since college from constant jump training, and in order for me to be able to perform squats w/o knee pain I have to thoroughly warm up, but I also need to start with light weight and a narrow stance, then I can start working to a wider stance with heavier weights. I also focus on a very slow descent before I drive up. These 3 strategies have allowed me to sqaut with virtually no knee pain. If I don't follow them then my knees ache during and for days after.
Both knees, but only one knee at a time will hurt. Inside of the knee and in front, but usually not on the outside of the knee.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both knees, but only one knee at a time will hurt. Inside of the knee and in front, but usually not on the outside of the knee.
Do you have any previous injuries? How long has this been an issue?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What kind of injury. Details man....
Impact. I hit my knee pretty hard while biking and the second time I hit the same knee doing stretches. Then in 2011 I felt something pull in the same knee and to this day if I lay on my back sometimes my knee will get real stiff. I talked to two different doctors and they kept saying inflammation. It might be time to get an MRI. Like I said though no pain when front squatting and on the back squat I still get pain in the other knee as well, so I still think it's a form issue. In fact my left knee(the one that I didn't injury in the past) has been hurting more than the right knee when I squat.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
That was a great angle and to me I see the issue.

Your feet are to far externally rotated. This causes excessive pronation of the foot, therefore rotating the lower leg internally and collapsing the structure all the way up the hips. This forces one to squat on top of their legs instead of between them.

Point your feet more forward and push your knees out. This external rotation will force more supination of the foot and allow easier movement of the knees outward and allow you to squat between the legs and allow it to be more of a hip dominant movement instead of a knee dominant movement

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Something to remember too is, (for anyone really) if one is going to post form vids, I agree with the schools, that it is probably best to use the working weight/loads you will be using after your W/U's, since the form you most likely want critiqued is going to be the heavier work form that needs to be done and kept on your "working sets" and not just a light warm up or empty bar.
Just sayin'

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Something to remember too is, (for anyone really) if one is going to post form vids, I agree with the schools, that it is probably best to use the working weight/loads you will be using after your W/U's, since the form you most likely want critiqued is going to be the heavier work form that needs to be done and kept on your "working sets" and not just a light warm up or empty bar.
Just sayin'
Well yesterday I was really sore from squatting already, that's why I only used and empty bar.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well yesterday I was really sore from squatting already, that's why I only used and empty bar.
Not a problem guy and I feel your DOMS. I was speaking generally and to the masses actually, since some people will post vids and ask to have their form looked at but then the form they post and the form they use on work sets, might be different. And you want the form on the work sets or regular heavy stuff, to be looked at and where you may need tweaking, so as to not get banged up or have to fix a bad habit later on.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I don't want to overdo the info either, but it looks like a few form glitches, that by learning and doing a few things to get a feel for "dropping your torso between the legs" will help, as it appears you are folding like a Z. Which, I used to do that myself. It just takes some practice and a bit of flexibility.
Things that may give you an idea towards better or standard form, might be goblet squats and or squatting up against a wall. There are quite a few vids, some great, some not so great.
I know Dan John wrote a few articles on squat form and using the act of holding a goblet below your chin, to get used to dropping your torso between the legs.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Here's a photo of a guy in the bottom of a good front squat next to you in your bottom position.

You need to adjust youself so you can get into the full squat position - even without a bar. Until you do so, you will have no idea what foot position is actually comfortable. It's a natural position you should be able to maintain for a long time.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Yeah, I don't want to overdo the info either, but it looks like a few form glitches, that by learning and doing a few things to get a feel for "dropping your torso between the legs" will help, as it appears you are folding like a Z. Which, I used to do that myself. It just takes some practice and a bit of flexibility.
Things that may give you an idea towards better or standard form, might be goblet squats and or squatting up against a wall. There are quite a few vids, some great, some not so great.
I know Dan John wrote a few articles on squat form and using the act of holding a goblet below your chin, to get used to dropping your torso between the legs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbPo-EX_5o
dan john and how to squat. well, how to do a lot of things but that vid is still awesome. its how i learned to finally squat properly. well at least start to, lol.

compudog

compudog

Awards
That's my recommendation as well; goblet squats. The OP needs to learn how to squat to a proper depth, which means, knees out and ass on the floor.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
All if you are assests to the community. Solid info ITT

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IIRC, Sean is flat footed and he squats with his feet forward. Do your mobilitywod homework and study up on how he gets the job done and you'll benefit. Then again, all but fifteen or so guys in the country are striving to squat more like he does.

EDIT: Anything over a 45 degree outward angle and you're sacrificing balance and stability. I personally like to set up at about 15 degrees from dead ahead, unless I'm doing wide stance box squats with a lot of sit-back, then I'm a little more than 30 degrees of external rotation. Screwing your feet into the ground will give you the best arch you're anatomically capable of.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Word, I'm flat footed like The Dude said. I'll squat wide with my toes out, or I'll squat moderate (like you) with toes forward(ish)

I vote that you reciprocate those pics I posted and find your groove. Secondedededed what The Dude, Paul, and Ozzie have for ya.

Do you always squat barefoot?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Word, I'm flat footed like The Dude said. I'll squat wide with my toes out, or I'll squat moderate (like you) with toes forward(ish)

I vote that you reciprocate those pics I posted and find your groove. Secondedededed what The Dude, Paul, and Ozzie have for ya.

Do you always squat barefoot?
Yes I can't squat otherwise. I mean I can, but any shoes I wear will have some sort of foam support. It's pretty hard to find chuck taylors in a 4E.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Is this an improvement at all? vid02_zpsbf9a8a93.mp4 Video by BrainStorm_wow | Photobucket
As I stated previously I am flat footed, so my feet angle is probably different than for most people.

I'm also flat-footed. You're rolling on to the outside of your feet. Leave the toes where they are, kick the heels out an inch or two to make the feet closer to parallel, perhaps. Since you're talking footwear, surely you have some dress shoes. Good enough for old time strongmen, good enough for you.

What's also going to help you is to either ditch or lower those catch bars. You have them placed so high that if you divebomb into a full squat, you'll knock yourself out with the bar.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I vote that you reciprocate those pics I posted and find your groove.
Yeah, good photo leads ^ and what about viding or trying some goblet squats, no weight to get more of a feel for dropping your torso down thru your legs?
As far as flat footed or not, I cannot see that making much of a difference on where your ankles, knees, hips, low back, chest relate to one another in improving your flexibility and form!?

compudog

compudog

Awards
Yeah, good photo leads ^ and what about viding or trying some goblet squats, no weight to get more of a feel for dropping your torso down thru your legs?
As far as flat footed or not, I cannot see that making much of a difference on where your ankles, knees, hips, low back, chest relate to one another in improving your flexibility and form!?
I'll third (fourth?) that. Goblet squats are IMO the best way to learn to squat properly. A moderate weight (40 lb for me) is sufficient to provide enough counterbalance so the squatter's torso stays nicely upright. Once the form is good with goblets (knees out ass on the floor) then the squatter can load some weight on the movement with front squats.

Also, being flat footed shouldn't make any difference, and shoes don't matter that much either. I use Vibram 5 fingers and they work just fine. I would do it barefoot if my gym allowed it but they don't.