fat man looking for some help

rw357

Awards
Hello,

After missing the last 7-8 months of lifting/exercising (pneumonia, broken foot, muscle tear other foot, in a nice chain, and just being lazy), I got fat.

I want to drop 6 inches off my waist (need to drop 10 to be honest). I decided to follow this routine:

JTM | Full text | High-Intensity Interval Resistance Training (HIRT) influences resting energy expenditure and respiratory ratio in non-dieting individuals

The lift is 3x leg presses, 2x chest press, and 2x pulldowns all using machines, I am doing 3 sets each. The reps are 6 reps (of what should be your 6 rep max), wait 20 seconds, go to failure, wait 20 seconds, go to failure. Rest 2.5 minutes between exercises.

Goal is twice a week of that, 1.5 times per week of a wingate type of stair running and hopefully a 0.75-1 per week traditional style lift (3x5 bench, 3x5 shoulder press, 3x5 barbell rows, 3x5 pulldowns, 3x5 squats, 5x1 deadlifts with 2 minute rests).

What I am looking for is advice on exercises. I have done this twice so far with the following exercises:

day 1 (after some warm ups)
3x lever deadlifts (Lever Deadlift (plate loaded)) though it was not raised
3x db incline bench
3x barbell rows

day 2 (after some warm ups)
3x stiff legged deadlifts
3x standing shoulder press
3x pull downs (really 4x because I underloaded first set because of unfamiliarity with the machine, new gym)

I am looking for suggestions on exercises. I felt the lever deadlifts in my quads as much as I did my glutes. I would like to keep that, especially since it really amps up my work out immediately, while getting rid of the stiff legged deadlifts (the pace made my back stiffen). I am looking for suggestions for the 2nd day leg exercise. I don't want to do squats, because I get out of breath and there is a real risk. I was thinking dumbell squats but wasn't sure if that would be too similar to the level deadlift. (the reason I want to use the lever version is because the stripping of the weights is done during my rest period, and since the exercises makes me out of breath, I want the easiest stripping. I will do regular deadlifts on my traditional day).

On the db incline bench, I thought it was great, but the movement of bringing the dbs to my legs and holding there didn't allow for the 20 second rest to be effective. I am looking for a suggestion. I am new to the gym and area, so I don't have a lifting partner to trust with regular bench press. I would prefer to not use machines. I am mixed on doing dips because of shoulder issues.

Thanks in advance.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off you didn't mention your diet, which will be the biggest factor in dropping lbs. As far as workouts, try a proven system like 5X5 etc. With that much to lose, don't overcomplicate things. Get your diet in check and dedicate yourself to the program you choose and you'll see results

rw357

Awards
give a little bit more info,

diet: low carb, cutting calories mildly and creating the deficit through exercise
starting strength: 3 rep max bench 265, not sure on 1 rep deadlift max, but did 345 not that long ago and the sticking point was hand strength, don't do regular squats but 5x 120lb dumbell (held on the side) squats (highest gym had). The gym I was working at didn't have a squat rack a something that was kinda like a smith machine, didn't feel good.

I just joined a real gym. I am looking to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while dropping lots of fat.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
give a little bit more info,

diet: low carb, cutting calories mildly and creating the deficit through exercise
starting strength: 3 rep max bench 265, not sure on 1 rep deadlift max, but did 345 not that long ago and the sticking point was hand strength, don't do regular squats but 5x 120lb dumbell (held on the side) squats (highest gym had). The gym I was working at didn't have a squat rack a something that was kinda like a smith machine, didn't feel good.

I just joined a real gym. I am looking to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while dropping lots of fat.
I bolded the two big things there that stuck out for me. Mild cutting of calories will not drop lots of fat or ten inches like you had stated was your goal. If you're looking to retain muscle mass and drop fat, you can do what's called a recomp with your slight reduction of calories but with that much to lose, you would be much better to do a straight cut. Bigger caloric defecit. Then when satisfied with your weight, do a clean healthy bulk.

NASMTyler

Awards
diets is half of the battle. Just make sure you are hitting every body part with the weights and focus on getting a high-protein diet you should start to see good results

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
diets is half of the battle. Just make sure you are hitting every body part with the weights and focus on getting a high-protein diet you should start to see good results
Sorry diet is 90% of the battle.

You can't out train a bad diet.

I noticed you used the word "easy" or "hard" quite a bit in your original post OP. Nothing worth working for should be easy. If you are out of breath with the rest intervals you are using during your lifting then lengthen them for a bit. Cardiovascular function is extremely important in weight training no matter the rep scheme.

Lengthen the rests so that your heart rate is still elevated when you begin your next set but you aren't huffing for air. Slowly work into the twenty second rest periods because that is very short even for advanced lifters.

If the db incline doesn't allow enough time for adequate rest then use bb but reduce the weight and incorporate more time under tension so you can stick move the weight when you would pin yourself normally.