push- pull movement question

J

jhizzle

Awards
Hey guys new to the board but I have been lifting for a few years now...what are your guys opinions on two muscle training? I hear some guys love doing chest/tris, back/bis but I like the idea of push-pull i.e. chest/bis back/tris...thoughts, opinions? Thanks

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like an upper lower!? Sure why not!?
I assume you are doing shoulders on another day?
What does the entire week look like or the entire routine?
Goals?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My current split:

Chest / Lats
Quads / Calves
Shoulders / Traps
Hams / Calves

Size, strength, propotion, and recovery have all been consistent.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if you do compound movements you are doing more than 2 muscles. bench - shoulders, lats, triceps, pecs. squats - abs, back, quads, hammies, calfs. deadlift - nearly everything.

J

jhizzle

Awards
I do chest/bis 3-4 movements each...back/tris 3-4 movements each....shoulders and legs alone...abs/calves eod

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is better to state what you are doing for the split rather than just state the split. For instance, are you doing sumo deads on back day? Because you are also incorporating legs into that, so it gives a better idea of what you are doing. That is just an example, but too often people don't list what they are actually doing and don't realize that they are in fact working more compound (or the opposite and not working enough muscle groups with too much isolation).

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I train my upper back muscles 3-4 times a week.

Over the course of the week my horizontal pull volume and vertical pull volume is about 1.5 times that my horizontal and vertical push volume, respectively.

I do not consider pairing chest with biceps a push/pull, as one is a torso muscle acting on the shoulder and the other an extremity muscle acting on the elbow.

N

NASMTyler

Awards
I love push-pull routines. I get some of my best gains from doing that

J

jhizzle

Awards
I train my upper back muscles 3-4 times a week.

Over the course of the week my horizontal pull volume and vertical pull volume is about 1.5 times that my horizontal and vertical push volume, respectively.

I do not consider pairing chest with biceps a push/pull, as one is a torso muscle acting on the shoulder and the other an extremity muscle acting on the elbow.
Thanks so you're telling me I shouldn't pair chest with bis to save my already injured elbow? Im just getting back into the swing of things usually I train one muscle group per day...all great advice I will post my specific routine soon.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My Split:

Bench/ Shoulders/ Core
Squats/ Back/ Hamstrings
OHP/ Chest/ Core
Rack Pulls + Knee Lifts/ Quads/ Hamstrings

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks so you're telling me I shouldn't pair chest with bis to save my already injured elbow? Im just getting back into the swing of things usually I train one muscle group per day...all great advice I will post my specific routine soon.
It really depends on overall volume, exercise selection, etc. To avoid accelerating imbalances at the shoulder girdle I suggest balancing horizontal abduction and horizontal adduction, as well as vertical abd and add. In other words, for every chest press you should do some variation of pendlay row. For every over head press a pull up variation. For every chest fly a rhomboid move such as a face pull. And avoid front raises.

It it doesn't have to be in the same session, but balanced over the course of the training cycle.

J

jhizzle

Awards
It really depends on overall volume, exercise selection, etc. To avoid accelerating imbalances at the shoulder girdle I suggest balancing horizontal abduction and horizontal adduction, as well as vertical abd and add. In other words, for every chest press you should do some variation of pendlay row. For every over head press a pull up variation. For every chest fly a rhomboid move such as a face pull. And avoid front raises.

It it doesn't have to be in the same session, but balanced over the course of the training cycle.
So you dont suggest front raises? I find those to be pretty effective. My elbow bothers me when plate loaded machines with fixed handle positions...I generally stick to free weights and cables.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you dont suggest front raises? I find those to be pretty effective. My elbow bothers me when plate loaded machines with fixed handle positions...I generally stick to free weights and cables.
That's fine re free weights/motion movements.

Most lifters have over developed and short anterior delts compared to the posterior delts. That's why I suggest minimizing direct ant. delt work

J

jhizzle

Awards
That's fine re free weights/motion movements.

Most lifters have over developed and short anterior delts compared to the posterior delts. That's why I suggest minimizing direct ant. delt work
True good point.