Chest Mass

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
Hey bros if you guys should shed some insight and help me gain chest mass that would be great. I consider myself a very experienced lifter. I am 6-1 190 lbs right now. I workout 6-7 days a week two hours and eat big and clean. I don't track macros. I am getting results from my chest workouts but not as much as my other body parts. For some reason I do not seem to have the mind muscle connection in the chest like I do everywhere else. Also my left left pec is significantly smaller than my right. So I pretty much only have been doing dumbbells instead of barbell. My workouts will usually look like
Incline dumbbells 3x 12-8 reps
Flat dumbbells 3x 12-8 reps
Cable crossovers 3x 12-8 reps
Then mix it up and hit different machines. Never do the same exercises
Usually finish with flat flyes 3x 12-8 super set with dumbbell pull over 15 reps.

Hard to get into detail about every little thing but I really focus on form and time under tension. Squeezing each muscle for each rep. I am going for size not strength because I am more into bodybuilding. Although I realize you should mix it up and get some different rep ranges in there to shock the muscle. The workout plan I gave is a typical chest day. For me no chest day is the same.

Well if you guys could shed any light on what has worked for you It would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Changing up frequency/volume/ or intensity are good ways to make a difference.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
6'1 190lbs
Workout 6-7 days/week
2 hour workouts
Uneven pectoral development
Don't track macros
Never do same exercises
Major in the minors

You aren't a "very experienced lifter." if you never repeat exercises, how do you track progression? With a scale?

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
6'1 190lbs Workout 6-7 days/week 2 hour workouts Uneven pectoral development Don't track macros Never do same exercises Major in the minors You aren't a "very experienced lifter." if you never repeat exercises, how do you track progression? With a scale?
I repeat exercises. I just never have a set plan going into the gym. Typically I start with flat dumbell or incline dumbell. So I know what weight I'm pushing compared to last week. But I guess maybe I should log it?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I repeat exercises. I just never have a set plan going into the gym. Typically I start with flat dumbell or incline dumbell. So I know what weight I'm pushing compared to last week. But I guess maybe I should log it?
Log it and the gains will come. You can see where you're lagging and make changes

A

aceroni

Awards
Add in barbell press.

I also have a slightly uneven chest, but it's genetics.
To leave out barbell presses is going to severely limit your chest mass.

Also, log it.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weighted dips. Leaned a lil forward to get more of the chest

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And pick one rep range to follow for a couple of weeks, then change the rep range again.

2 weeks at 10 -12 reps
2 weeks at 8 - 10
2 weeks at 5 - 8
Repeat

W

wyrd1

Awards
^solid advice. Track your workouts. Have a plan. Have a goal. Effort wins

R

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
One of the key benefits of programs like 5x5 and 5/3/1 is that they set goals for progress. You have a blueprint and every time you go to the gym you have a goal to hit. It's been very humbling getting back into lifting for myself, but setting goals for myself using 5x5 for the first 6 months-1year I know where I should be from one workout to the next AND if I need to make adjustments. It makes all the difference.

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
All good advice you guys are awesome. Much appreciated. I guess I'll start keeping track of it all and change up rep ranges. Also I'll start doing more barbell. I'm just sick of having an uneven chest

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Always track your workouts. Simple notebook and a pen. I have stacks of old notebooks and scratch paper (all I had when I left notebook at home) from workouts going back 6 years. Always good to have the data to see where you're progress is and where its not.

Intra08

Intra08

Awards
Exactly what everyone has added. I used to adhere to the "don't do the same workout twice" "muscle confusion" crap but I learned better. Alberto Nunez explained it in one of his old old videos. He explained that if you are constantly changing the exercises you do, then the strength increases you see have a lot to do with neurologic adaptations to the new movement..

N

NASMTyler

Awards
I think one of the most underrated exercises for chest is full range dips.

W

wyrd1

Awards
Just backing up the FUll rom. I see ppl with small chests that never use full rom on bench or dips but the small-chesters love cable crossovers.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
6'1 190lbs Workout 6-7 days/week 2 hour workouts Uneven pectoral development Don't track macros Never do same exercises Major in the minors You aren't a "very experienced lifter." if you never repeat exercises, how do you track progression? With a scale?
I agree, log everything. I log the big lifts and advance those and add on weight. But my accessory lifts I either add weight or switch up the reps depending in how I'm feeling. Start tracking.

S

Shaun235

Banned
Awards
Barbell press, grip the bar wide, don't keep your elbows down, flare them up and keep them even with your shoulder blade, it will give you the full stretch an work your chest nicely, you might have to drop your normal weight range a bit.
Should give you some nice size if your not doing it already.

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
My workout today

Pre exhaust with 3 sets cable flyes 10 reps each same weight

Incline dumbell press 60lbs each set. Been focusing on time under tension so each rep I explode up and lower the dumbbells 5 seconds..
First set 10 reps second 9 third 8

Next did this machine.. Don't know what it's called but it's kinda like a decline press. Did 3 sets 12-8

Next did 3 sets of dips as many I could do

Then incline flyes 3 sets 12-8 real controlled and squeezed the **** out of the pecs at the top

Then 3 sets dumbbell pull over 10,10,8 reps

What do you guys think of that workout? Usually I incorporate some flat in there but today I didn't. Main focus is developing a upper chest. Thanks dudes

S

Shaun235

Banned
Awards
6-7 days a week might be a bit much. If you want size, eat more, sleep more, train less.
Switch to 4 days a week.
Add more weight, lay off those machines and cable moves.
Barbells and Dumbells are your new best friend.

If your looking for more Upper body size than bottom, switch to Push/Pull/Legs but do upper body 2x an Legs 1x. It will allow you to hit your upper half more without spending 6-7 days in the gym. Plus if your spending that much time in the gym, to grow you need to be eating your ass off.
These are just my opinions, I had the same issue, I did this an it worked, I got a lot stronger to. Strength is going to equal size.

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
6-7 days a week might be a bit much. If you want size, eat more, sleep more, train less. Switch to 4 days a week. Add more weight, lay off those machines and cable moves. Barbells and Dumbells are your new best friend. If your looking for more Upper body size than bottom, switch to Push/Pull/Legs but do upper body 2x an Legs 1x. It will allow you to hit your upper half more without spending 6-7 days in the gym. Plus if your spending that much time in the gym, to grow you need to be eating your ass off. These are just my opinions, I had the same issue, I did this an it worked, I got a lot stronger to. Strength is going to equal size.
Thanks for the reply bro. I've gained 6 lbs of muscle over the last 3 months so what I'm doing is working. Chest is the only thing that I struggle with

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Add in barbell press.

I also have a slightly uneven chest, but it's genetics.
To leave out barbell presses is going to severely limit your chest mass.

Also, log it.
DBs work better than barbells for some (like me). Lets me use more chest and less shoulders.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing builds chest mass quite like the shake weight.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Nothing builds chest mass quite like the shake weight.
Absolutely false. The total gym is hands down the best. It's even chuck Norris approved and I could practice my punches with it!

W

WontOutWorkMe

Awards
I've been crushing the shake weight. Haven't seen ****