How to grow stubborn calves and fight genetics? Routines?

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
The rest of my body is finally filled in, even my quads and hamstrings but my calves suck...I've got a shorter muscular physique and my weight bears on my outter legs and calves (genetics)...making is very hard to grow my inner calf peak/head. I've been killing them 3 days a week on the seated calve press with a wide stance and lighter weight to hit full ROM until I can't do anymore...I'm now adding standing smith machine calf raises using two stacked plates and this other seated calve machine.....My growth is ridiculously slow compared to any other muscle and they are very frustrating to workout and get the full contraction and pump I want..I NEED THEM TO GROW!!!! any suggestions?

Mystere3

Awards
High weight with high volume.

Do 4 sets of 20 on each exercise and end each set with an isometric hold to failure.

Do seated, standing, donkey calf raises and also do calf raises on the leg press machine. When you do squats, start each set with 20 calf raises.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
High weight with high volume. Do 4 sets of 20 on each exercise and end each set with an isometric hold to failure. Do seated, standing, donkey calf raises and also do calf raises on the leg press machine. When you do squats, start each set with 20 calf raises.
Pretty much covered it right there!

emantest

emantest

Awards
High weight with high volume. Do 4 sets of 20 on each exercise and end each set with an isometric hold to failure. Do seated, standing, donkey calf raises and also do calf raises on the leg press machine. When you do squats, start each set with 20 calf raises.
Agreed, you have to kill them to grow them. After all the above finish with just standing on a block calves raises for about 100-200 and try to raise with big toe.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
I have small calves, blame it on genetics. No amount of weight, reps will make them grow. They pump up after sessions, but always return to skinny calves. The rest of my body responds well to size. I have smashed them in every possible way. I've given up. It's not possible, in natural gain.

DavidSandler

Awards
I go a different route then those who advocate high reps. Treat them like any muscle you work, they naturally respond slower for several reasons, one being genetics (but they can still grow), another being that they are part of a very effective lever system so the load become an important part of the equation. There are other reasons (fiber types and other mechanical and anatomical issues), but this should suffice. Stick to heavy weight reps of no more than 12 per set. Do at least 6 sets, and do them FIRST (yes FIRST) in your pogram. DO 2 sets of each toe position (pointing in, pointing, out, and straight). Start with the standing or anything where your knees are not bent, before the seated to fully activate the big Gastrocnemius. Then hit another 3 or 4 sets in seated the position. Take your time and go FULL RANGE OF MOTION (meaning heels down as far as they can go and then come up as high as possible on your toes). Keep on them and hit them like you want them to grow and believe that will respond with hard work.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
Good info. and vids thanks evryone. I'm going to make them my number one priority from now on with full ROM till exhaustion...Heavy days, High rep days, standing, seated, bodyweight, negatives, supersets, and stair stepper...TIME TO GROW THESE CALVES!!!!!

Mystere3

Awards
Watch the most recent train with kai videos, he spends the first 20 min talking about how to grow calves.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The other thing about your original post, which I'm sure people caught, is that you mentioned killing them with seated raises, and just now adding standing work. If you're looking for the diamond shape then raises with your legs extended (standing smith machine, leg press, donkey, 1 leg dumbbell) should make up the majority of your calf work. Seated raises are primarily for the soleus (the flat muscle under the gastrocnemius) and shouldn't be negleted, but you should focus on straight legs.

ShaneSolomon

ShaneSolomon

Awards
Watch the most recent train with kai videos, he spends the first 20 min talking about how to grow calves.
^true that. Those train with Kai videos are gold.
Definitely recommend giving it a watch, as he gives good advice dedicated to calves.

Oh and enjoy the DOMS :)

NASMTyler

Awards
all I can say is… Calf implants! I need them as well

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Run up hills. Drag sleds. Jump on boxes. Do more functional exercises they are the only things that work for me. Extensions don't do anything for calves. IMO.