OVERTRAINING

ethan_wilde

ethan_wilde

Awards
Post your own beliefs or knowledge on overtraining topic. Please use self experience of you can. Deciding whether to do 6 day high intensity workouts each day different body part of spread my workouts out and have off days.

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
If you have to ask if you're overtraining...YOU'RE NOT OVERTRAINING

capo180

Awards
  • Established
With proper nutrition and sleep, two hours of working out a day won't kill you.

Touey

Touey

Awards
over training is a jiigzzsaw puzzle

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It really is and honestly dependant on the individual. There will always be guys who recover faster and have fewer injuries than most but just make sure your routine isnt the cause of ruining the rest of your day or few days.

What have you done in the past? Athletics, workout regime, or completely new?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
over training is a jiigzzsaw puzzle
Haha, nice callout my friend.

Well OP, firstly, Overtraining is NOT muscle based. So if you feel sore and under-recovered for a few days, that is not overtraining. Overtraining is VERY uncommon in BBers, if it even occurs at all. In order for Overtraining to occur, the intensity worked at must be very high (i.e. training repetitively at >90% of 1RM or something similar). This is not related perceived intensity (I feel like I worked hard today is an example of this) but the actual definition of intensity in resistance training is based on a percentage of your 1RM.

The higher the intensity (closer to 1RM) the greater the CNS recruitment and the more recovery/ smarter programming is needed to prevent overtraining.

I must stress that this is very uncommon in BBers and 'feeling tired', whilst a sign of overtraining, is not a basis for diagnosing yourself with the syndrome. The most common thing you will experience is under-recovery rather than actual overtraining.

Mystere3

Awards
I think it depends on how you define overtraining. I think most people would argue if you lifted chest six days a week with 20-30 working sets a day, you wouldn't be giving it adequate time to recover.

Somewhere between there, and not training, is the sweet spot.

It also matters if you're on or not.

When off I tend to lift with a 5 day split with 9-12 working sets and 7-14 finishing sets (FST 7) with relatively high intensity (70-80% 1RM) and when on, I'll add 3 sets a day and an extra day where I focus on lagging areas with 20 rep sets at 50-60% 1RM.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I think it depends on how you define overtraining. I think most people would argue if you lifted chest six days a week with 20-30 working sets a day, you wouldn't be giving it adequate time to recover.

Somewhere between there, and not training, is the sweet spot.

It also matters if you're on or not.

When off I tend to lift with a 5 day split with 9-12 working sets and 7-14 finishing sets (FST 7) with relatively high intensity (70-80% 1RM) and when on, I'll add 3 sets a day and an extra day where I focus on lagging areas with 20 rep sets at 50-60% 1RM.
One does not simply create there own definition for the term, "Overtraining".

Mystere3

Awards
So you'd argue lifting chest with intensity 7 days a week isn't overtraining?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So you'd argue lifting chest with intensity 7 days a week isn't overtraining?
I was referring to the first line of your post.

People can lift chest for 6 days and not overtrain. You'd struggle to recover but thats not overtraining, thats just poor programming.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One does not simply create there own definition for the term, "Overtraining".
47624963.jpg

What is "overtraining" for one person may not be for another....

And into the rabbit hole we go.....

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
OP, I'm asking this because you've made yourself a slight pain in the àss when you ask questions. So... What exactly are you looking for here? Just a debate, advice, what?
Do you feel "overtrained"?

Touey

Touey

Awards
[video=youtube;2AB9zPfXqQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AB9zPfXqQQ[/video]

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
To me, over training simply means under recovering. At 30 years old I was able to work 50-60 hours a week landscaping, lift 4 days a week, and still throw 5 days a week and kept it up for months on end without any lay off or "deload". That stint when from June til October, and I was able to peek properly for my world championship even though my job created non optimal circumstances. I just made sure I covered all my bases with Supplements, slept a solid 7-8 hours each night, and made sure my calorie intake stayed at maintenance or better(except for a month when I dropped 10lbs for nationals). It was definitely hard at first, but my body adapted and I made it work. I could have easily fallen to the wolves if I had pressed it too hard, ate poorly, cut into my sleep to have more "fun" time, but I didnt. I made it my priority to keep my body recovering optimally so I didnt have to compromise my whole season simply because I had to work too much. Cheers!