Bigger Back

rlee68

Awards
I want a bigger back!!! I feel like no matter what I do my back doesn't get wide or grow. Deadlifts rows I have tried it all! I guess with this I am looking for suggestions. I feel the pump to my back but I just don't see any gainzzzzzz

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I want a bigger back!!! I feel like no matter what I do my back doesn't get wide or grow. Deadlifts rows I have tried it all! I guess with this I am looking for suggestions. I feel the pump to my back but I just don't see any gainzzzzzz
How is your diet? Main thing that had to be dialed in to grow.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What does your routine/layout sets /reps look like?
As natty says, diet = a good portion of mass gains after the training.

The back is a large muscle area and has the propensity to grow larger than say chest or arms, but it can take some time to build that depth, width and thickness.
A half inch on the arms is a huge increase, but on the back is barely noticeable.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ It takes extended time to see real width and thickness on the back in comparison to other parts IMO and experience

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
Food.

Pull-ups.

Heavy carry work.

Deadlifts.

Lots and lots of everything I just said. The back can take a pounding. Give it to it!!!!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To build on the good conversation already started:
Nutrition, exercise selection, programming, progressions...

We can next talk technique. Limb and vector angle, scapula placement, and core bracing will all make a difference in how the muscles are recruited and to what degree.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards

We can next talk technique. Limb and vector angle, scapula placement, and core bracing will all make a difference in how the muscles are recruited and to what degree.
Not to thread hijack, but a question regarding back training and technique.

On heavy rows, my knees and legs can hurt quite a bit and I feel I'm not getting my worth out of the lift.. Leaning too far toward?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not to thread hijack, but a question regarding back training and technique.

On heavy rows, my knees and legs can hurt quite a bit and I feel I'm not getting my worth out of the lift.. Leaning too far toward?
Possible you can take a pic?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are not locking the knees are you?
If so, you should keep a slight bend in the knees at all times and keep an arch in your lumbar spine.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Nice to see you back here.

OP, the best exercises I found for developing the back are: Weighted Pull-ups, Deadlifts and it's variations (Rack Pulls, Snatch Grip, Reeves etc.), Heavy BB and DB rows, Prone Shrugs or Face Pulls and Seated Row

compudog

compudog

Awards
I like machine rows (seated cable rows and HS machines), because the ROM is good and the weight can get stupid. Which is what you need if you want to grow your back; stupid weight. For instance I can do db rows with 90's, but my seated cable row is around 300 and the ROM is a lot bigger. Same for the HS machines.

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
You are not locking the knees are you?
If so, you should keep a slight bend in the knees at all times and keep an arch in your lumbar spine.
No, not locking the knees. Don't have a picture, but your statement about keeping an arch in the lumbar seems like something I may not be doing.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, not locking the knees. Don't have a picture, but your statement about keeping an arch in the lumbar seems like something I may not be doing.
Set up similar to the bottom of an RDL, push the hips back.
RDL_3.jpg

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like machine rows (seated cable rows and HS machines), because the ROM is good and the weight can get stupid. Which is what you need if you want to grow your back; stupid weight. For instance I can do db rows with 90's, but my seated cable row is around 300 and the ROM is a lot bigger. Same for the HS machines.
That's all well and good, except the external load on the muscle will be similar in either case. The only difference with cable and machine rows is you do not get the same core and stabilization muscle recruitment, which might be ok if your workout requires a significant volume and/or frequency of lumbar loading, but will reduce the GH response to training.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, well the pic Zir Red provided should give you a little reference, but I might add, you do not have to keep the legs or back super tight or in hyper tension, just kind of a semi relaxed state, but work the lats.
Also have most of the weight on either the mid foot or more heels and not forward on the balls of the feet.

compudog

compudog

Awards
That's all well and good, except the external load on the muscle will be similar in either case. The only difference with cable and machine rows is you do not get the same core and stabilization muscle recruitment, which might be ok if your workout requires a significant volume and/or frequency of lumbar loading, but will reduce the GH response to training.
Pretty much the latter. My lumbar routinely gets hammered by squats, deads, and bench, which is a actually one of the reasons I went back to machine rows. I'm not sure how much GH I actually have, I suspect it's diminishing, I'm 47. Awfully tempted to supplement there, if it wasn't so expensive I probably would have by now.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are loading axially (squats, deads, lunges) then the metabolic and neural-endocrine (i.e.: gh secretion) response to training will be high. As for supplements, it may be worth reading up on some of the research peptides than can increase GH production.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Incorporate all of the following into your workouts, eat plenty, and make sure your get adequate rest and I see no reason why you cant have a BEASTLY back.

Wide Grip Pull Ups, Close Grip Pull ups, Hammer Grip Chins, Weighted Dead Hangs (Hands as wide as possible), Bent over row, Dumb Bell Row, Dead Lifts, RDLs, Rack Pulls, Good Mornings

Pick 5 to 6 of these exercises to do on each back day. 2-3 of the exercises shoot for higher rep ranges(8-12) the others go HEAVY! 3-6 reps is perfect. You will need to track your progress and make sure you are still progressing each time you do an exercise. If you arent getting stronger, chances are, you wont be making any muscle gains ;)

Some people believe in a set routine, to me its way too boring and you hit plateaus much quicker. I personally used this method to build a pretty good back and I've help many people pack on the size they wanted by doing the same thing. Hope this helps! =)

acethetics

acethetics

Awards
Eat more