Squat depth

C

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I generally do full squats or ATG. A former bodybuilder with pro card in my gym suggested that ATG squats will ruin my hips. He said for quad size partial squats are best. 45 to 65 degree squat. Anyone ever heard of this?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
ya, from broscience. lol.

if ATG squats were bad for you then olympic lifting would have a high rate of injuries. in fact, that sport has some of the lowest injury rates of any sport in the world. so broscience says its bad, science says it is good for you.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I generally do full squats or ATG. A former bodybuilder with pro card in my gym suggested that ATG squats will ruin my hips. He said for quad size partial squats are best. 45 to 65 degree squat. Anyone ever heard of this?
There is actually a relatively new chronic study comparing ROM on leg development and fat loss. This is more pertinent than isolated EMG data.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=627435343971386

Study reference is at the bottom. :)

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
IMO, people that are getting injuries from high ROM squats are probably having some sort of form/control issue. We've all seen the guy who "bounces" out of the bottom of the squat, or whose knees are all over the place.
(Now granted, I've been guilty of this as well toward the end of a heavy set, sometimes it's just hard to avoid.)
Keep good control of the weight and you'll be fine.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Bouncing out of the whole is more pertinent to knee issues than hips. Unless you have some kind of structural issue (FAI), there's no need to fear below parallel. There are also numerous studies showing that taking a muscle through a full range of motion is superior to partial range, as noted. Keep your headphones in and ignore him next time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Training Forum 3
anab0lix Training Forum 38
genthoseffect Training Forum 122
E Powerlifting/Strongman 10
earthdog Training Forum 47