Homemade gym equipment

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Lets start a thread about inexpensive options for workout equipment, additions for those of us frugel types.

Fat grips > pipe insulation
Weighted jump rope > heavy gauge clad copper cable with pvc handle
Weighted vest > backpack or miltary load out vest with zip locks of sand in pouches
Bands > surgical tubing
Chains > see bands
Ab wheel > carpet square face down on smooth floor, smooth plastic pad on carpeted floor
shaker cups > mason jars (I like no plastics with food, same lids work on wide mouth jars).
glass drink bottles > see shakers

Any others?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hummmm . I saw these things. Max grips .
image-718297959.jpg

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Home gym bodybuilding . com

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
what is that ?
It takes out the forearm for back exercises so you can't focus on heavy weighted exercises with out looking at loss of form.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
home depot is your friend.

galvanized pipe has built me farmers, an axle, yoke, cambered squat bar, and safety squat bar.

from plywood i build a lifting platform, belt squat stand, glute hame raise, and working on a reverse hyper.

most built using a quick google search for a how to and spending from 10-50 cents on the dollar to buying it premade.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
home depot is your friend.

galvanized pipe has built me farmers, an axle, yoke, cambered squat bar, and safety squat bar.

from plywood i build a lifting platform, belt squat stand, glute hame raise, and working on a reverse hyper.

most built using a quick google search for a how to and spending from 10-50 cents on the dollar to buying it premade.
Pixs? These are awesome ideas.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I made a power rack with materials from lowes, tested up to 1000lbs

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Pixs? These are awesome ideas.
this is where i got the idea for the reverse hyper:
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/reverse_hyper_built_for_inside_the_power_rack?id=5258178&pageNo=0

here is a pic of what my farmers look like. i also have a 1.5" handle on the opposite side of the smaller handles:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-v3rbtT3hKFY/TcZNZo-c9pI/AAAAAAAAAqA/rlCUVw-92Xk/s1600/diy+farmers+bar+using+tubing.jpg

ill get pics when i get home on the other stuff.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
A lot can be done with concrete rebar, pvc, rubber and some other house hold objects

dumbbells.gif

3596805922_cfa2073b1a_m.jpg

for_making_of_homemade_weights_out_of_concrete_we_will_ne_7.jpg

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Great ideas! I think we get caught up in the commercialized hype and think we NEED that special equipment to get swole. Let us not forget the basic principle that is bodybuilding ..... lift something heavy and put it back down. Then repeat.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Yeah some great posts, keep them up!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
^^ i would have used 4x4's on most of that wooden power rack. it looks a bit wobbly with just 2x4s.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. While the guy says 400lbs is fine in the cage, he's also got it attached to the wall.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Agreed. While the guy says 400lbs is fine in the cage, he's also got it attached to the wall.
anchoring to the floor is much better.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
image-1025598382.jpg

What do you think ?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Awesome thread. Don't forget about kegs and tractor tires for some other fun exercises.

NASMTyler

Awards
I think all of those are perfect for a home gym. All you really need for upper body is a pull-up station and a dip station. Get huge!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think all of those are perfect for a home gym. All you really need for upper body is a pull-up station and a dip station. Get huge!
Is that all you do for chest and back?
Curious to hear more about your entire routine because I follow a bare minimum approach...

Obernodo

Obernodo

Awards
Doorway Pull-ups - Doorway pull-up bars are available from many exercise equipment suppliers. The bar simply rests on the door jam. There are no modifications made to the door entrance.

Basement Steps - If you have open-ended stairs leading into your basement, you can perform pull-ups from one of the top steps. You will likely need to kick your feet up to ensure full range of motion. This low-tech alternative will not require any construction.

Tree Branch - A thick tree branch makes an outstanding pull-up station. Grab the branch and start pulling. Another option is to hang a rope or towel over the branch. Grab one end with each hand and you’ve got yourself a fine towel pull-up station. This variation of the pull-up is particularly useful for forearm and grip strength.

Swing Hanger Pull-ups - Another basement friendly pull-up option can be constructed with a pair of industrial-strength swing hangers.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have one on days I can't go to the gym.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Wound up trying to make some farmer's walk handles. I see some for sale for like $130, so I was wondering why people were making their own... surely, it's cheaper. I intended to find out. I didn't want to go with the two poles with handles look because I wanted the handles themselves to have some weight and I found a 6x6 in my backyard. Supplyhouse.com is like 70% cheaper than any hardware store... Otherwise, this is like a $350 project.

6x6: Free
2x36" 5/8 threaded rod: $13.14
#14x3 screws: $6.38
16 5/8" nuts: $5.60
16 5/8" washers: $2.64
2x1"x8" black nipple: $6.04
4x1.5"x12" black nipple: $18.60
4x1.5" black floor flange: $17.24
Shipping: $14.01
=========
$83.65

I needed a 5/8" bit ($9.01) and sprang for a can of textured Rustoleum spraypaint ($5.76), bringing my total to $98.42.

I attached some scrap wood to the bottom so that I wouldn't have to recess the nuts.

Sadly, I only have so many matching plates... time to get more. [EDIT: Picked up more plates, handles easily managed 210lbs of plates each for a few runs]
The handles each weigh 40lbs... I've been considering bolting 5lbs to them to make math easier.
The whole thing took me a couple hours and was kind of fun, but if I had to pay for the wood, I'd be down $120, which is perilously close to buying a set.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PhantomReaper Nutrition / Health 56
Supplements 7
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 2
hercules_22 Supplements 6
Powerlifting/Strongman 40