High/low training: your thoughts?

String3r

Awards
I have been doing a ton of research lately.
I have been especially interested in the rep ranges for maximal muscle growth. Optimal growth seems to involve low, moderate, and high rep ranges with their corresponding weights. I saw a workout in flex magazine that I have been running for 2 weeks. I will detail it here. I would like your input on this routine. I have been lifting for 12 years. I have only recently taken a more strategic/scientific approach to it. I'm 6' and weigh about 235 with 11-13% bf. So here it is:
Week 1: 15-5 week
Chest:
Db incline: 4x15-5-15-5
Db flat: 4x15-5-15-5
Dips: 3xfailure
High cable flyes: 3x 10-12
Back:
Wide Lat pull downs: 15-5-15-5
Neutral grip pull downs: 15-5-15-5
Db rows: 15-5-15-5
Cable rows: 3x10-12
Shoulders/Triceps:
Db shoulder press:15-5-15-5
Side raises:15-5-15-5
Cable rope high pulls: 15-5-15-5
Front raises: 3x10
Dips: 4x10
V bar triceps press downs: 15-5-15-5
Rope press downs: 15-5-15-5
Skull crushers: 3x 10-12
V bar press down: drop set till failure
Biceps:
Standing alt Db curl: 15-5-15-5
Standing alt hammer curl: 15-5-15-5
Standing Db curl (both at same time): 3x 10
Cable 21's: 2 rounds
Cable drop set to failure
Legs:
Leg press: 15-5-15-5
Leg extension: 15-5-15-5
Leg curls: 15-5-15-5
Calf raises: 4x20 (my calves respond more than any other bodypart)
The next week is the same but the 15-5 is replaced with a 12-7 scheme. I'm going into my 3rd week, starting with the 15-5 scheme after just finishing the 12-7, I have noticed a 10 pound increase on my 5 rep weight for virtually all lifts. Along with an increase in 15 rep weight. I'll start logging my weights and maybe post a pic from the start.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's basically a bastardization of the Texas method, which is built around compound movements and not muscles.

String3r

Awards
I have never seen or heard of the Texas method. I guess I'll look it up. But, I don't understand why you would say something is built around compound movements and not muscles. What does that even mean? There is obviously isolation work in the routine.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never seen or heard of the Texas method. I guess I'll look it up. But, I don't understand why you would say something is built around compound movements and not muscles. What does that even mean? There is obviously isolation work in the routine.
For example, you have a deadlift day where your training is built around improving your deadlift instead of having a "back" day or a bench day where you train to improve your bench press and not your chest (the bench press is a full body lift and not just a chest exercise).

String3r

Awards
And I don't bench with a powerlifting type of motion.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see you don't squat or deadlift either so that further illustrates my point about it being a bastardized version of the Texas method.

String3r

Awards
I'm a Marine, and I have to run 3 miles regularly for time. Added mass from deads and squats makes running exponentially more difficult. I asked for opinions about this split, you have given yours, I appreciate it, even though it wasn't in the form of advice.

Mystere3

Awards
That sounds good but time consuming... I like fst-7 for mad hypertrophy but short workout times.

I have been doing a ton of research lately.
I have been especially interested in the rep ranges for maximal muscle growth. Optimal growth seems to involve low, moderate, and high rep ranges with their corresponding weights. I saw a workout in flex magazine that I have been running for 2 weeks. I will detail it here. I would like your input on this routine. I have been lifting for 12 years. I have only recently taken a more strategic/scientific approach to it. I'm 6' and weigh about 235 with 11-13% bf. So here it is:
Week 1: 15-5 week
Chest:
Db incline: 4x15-5-15-5
Db flat: 4x15-5-15-5
Dips: 3xfailure
High cable flyes: 3x 10-12
Back:
Wide Lat pull downs: 15-5-15-5
Neutral grip pull downs: 15-5-15-5
Db rows: 15-5-15-5
Cable rows: 3x10-12
Shoulders/Triceps:
Db shoulder press:15-5-15-5
Side raises:15-5-15-5
Cable rope high pulls: 15-5-15-5
Front raises: 3x10
Dips: 4x10
V bar triceps press downs: 15-5-15-5
Rope press downs: 15-5-15-5
Skull crushers: 3x 10-12
V bar press down: drop set till failure
Biceps:
Standing alt Db curl: 15-5-15-5
Standing alt hammer curl: 15-5-15-5
Standing Db curl (both at same time): 3x 10
Cable 21's: 2 rounds
Cable drop set to failure
Legs:
Leg press: 15-5-15-5
Leg extension: 15-5-15-5
Leg curls: 15-5-15-5
Calf raises: 4x20 (my calves respond more than any other bodypart)
The next week is the same but the 15-5 is replaced with a 12-7 scheme. I'm going into my 3rd week, starting with the 15-5 scheme after just finishing the 12-7, I have noticed a 10 pound increase on my 5 rep weight for virtually all lifts. Along with an increase in 15 rep weight. I'll start logging my weights and maybe post a pic from the start.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a Marine, and I have to run 3 miles regularly for time. Added mass from deads and squats makes running exponentially more difficult. I asked for opinions about this split, you have given yours, I appreciate it, even though it wasn't in the form of advice.
Um, no. Squats and and deads do not make running more difficult unless you're improperly programming them. They're endlessly more functional than, say, extensive time spent on arms. It seems like you want to train for aesthetics instead of performance, which is your prerogative, but to say that squats and deads make running more difficult is completely untrue.

Mystere3

Awards
Yeah, lots of runners train both regularly as well as plyo like jump squats.

String3r

Awards
I understand this, I haven't trained squats or deads in 7 years. If I were to train them heavy I would gain pounds of muscle. Each pound gained requires more oxygen to fuel. Also, as far as time consuming, each workout besides the shoulders tris takes about 45 mins. I only rest 60 seconds between sets.
Today I hit chest for 15-5 coming off my first week of 12-7. I didn't get a great pump today, but it may be diet related.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understand this, I haven't trained squats or deads in 7 years. If I were to train them heavy I would gain pounds of muscle.
My wife is a former Marine and is currently FTAD. Since I've been training her we have included squats twice a week in her program and in a month and half she has shaved a minute 30 off of her PT run time. Squats would only help in my opinion.

String3r

Awards
Awesome, I'll give them a try, I've just been scared of getting heavier. 235 for 3 miles isn't easy.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome, I'll give them a try, I've just been scared of getting heavier. 235 for 3 miles isn't easy.
Just remember, if you're heavier because they are more muscular and stronger that extra weight and strength in your legs can only help you.

Mystere3

Awards
You're lifting a routine for max hypertrophy yet you're scared of putting on muscle mass?

String3r

Awards
I guess so. I can't afford for my legs to blow up (they are large already). I can't imagine running at 245-250. Yet I do not want to sacrifice my hard earned upper body mass.