Working Major/Minor Body Parts within 24 Hrs of Each Other

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
Okay, this is likely a complete NEWB category question .... but as I cannot recall an answer, I'm asking anyway . . .

Is it okay to workout relative body parts two days in a row?

e.g. . . . .
If I work SHOULDERS fairly intensely on a Monday, can I/should I work CHEST the following day - or is that too much load and/or tear upon my shoulder muscles?

Same goes for working BICEPS on one day, and then BACK the following day.

Thanks - Looking forward to some informed insight/advice.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shoot for upper/lower/upper/lower.

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
My general/usual workout schedule has been something along the lines of the following:

Mon - Chest/Triceps
Tue - Back/Abs
Wed - Legs
Thur - Shoulders/Abs
Fri - Biceps
Sat - Rest
Sun - Tennis w/ Friends + Rest

Been trying to switch things up lately - which is what prompted my original question.

I'm thinking I don't really want to work legs twice in one week - as I work them pretty intensely on my "leg day" as it is.

Thoughts?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your legs are a high capacity, high endurance group of muscles. Unless you train your legs like Tom Platz then you could do twice a week to see maximum progress. My current split is:

Chest/Traps
Quads/Calves
Delts/Lats
Hamstrings/Calves

I take a rest day once about every 2 weeks or so. No issues with over training, and I have volleyball practice every week.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, this is likely a complete NEWB category question .... but as I cannot recall an answer, I'm asking anyway . . .

Is it okay to workout relative body parts two days in a row?

e.g. . . . .
If I work SHOULDERS fairly intensely on a Monday, can I/should I work CHEST the following day - or is that too much load and/or tear upon my shoulder muscles?

Same goes for working BICEPS on one day, and then BACK the following day.

Thanks - Looking forward to some informed insight/advice.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but ?'s like this, helped me to understand the best ways for myself to train and push for higher levels. (If that is what you are after!?)

What exactly are your goals???
What does your Monday W/O look like ie: sets/rep numbers etc.?
I think the question more should be..., How will I progress or gain from it?
Is there a reason why you choose that layout?
Do you feel it is the most efficient/best way to train for you to achieve your goals?
Do you have some kind of progression plan?

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If the foundation of your program is heavy compounds, I say No. It is not advised. I WOULD NEVER train back the day after bi's/chest the day after I trashed frontal delts. I run into this problem with only one group: hamstrings. I do heavy deadlifts the day before leg day. My solution: add a rest day. Training is only the stimulus, growth occurs elsewhere. Here's a split I have liked for a while_____
M-Chest/Back
T-off
W-Legs
Th-Shoulders/Bi's/Tri's
F-off
S-Legs
S-Off
Repeat

If you are focusing on compounds, this will be more than enough: example, chest is going to get hit twice practically because on Triceps, I do dips and close grip-HEAVY.. Traps get hit hard because I do a lot of upper back training on back day and on shoulder day I do a lot of upright rows, lateral raises, and rear delt movements. I love this split, and I will probably use it until I'm at least 265+ lbs.

----EDIT-----
I also am a low-volume trainer, I doubt this style would work well if I did 5-6 exercises/4+ sets per exercise....
I prefer 3 exercises, 2-3 working sets per small group,tops.... For Back, I'll do quite a bit for but I only hit lower/mid back once a week. everything else directly/indirectly gets hit twice....