Squat strength

amcartxs

Awards
Hey guys, so I have been training for 4 years now but have only been squatting for a year and a half .. I learned how to properly squat ass to grass and went from there. I literally started from just the bar and increased to 225x 5... I am currently doing a push/pull/leg routine with one day off and then repeat... Therefore I have been dead lifting and squatting twice a week but the past two weeks these 2 lifts have decreased... Especially my squat ... I have a hard time getting 185 for 5 reps when I usually can get 12 reps... Do you think I just need to take time off from these exercises for a couple of weeks? Could it be lower back fatigue? Thanks for the help.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have had this happen over the years.
A few things I will just throw out...
How much and how long have you been pushing/adding to them?
Are other lifts faltering also?, and do you just feel flat?
Do you feel real energetic going in to do them still, or more blazah and in need of a week off, or dare I say deeeeeelooooooad?
Eating enough or carb cutting at all? (carbs or lack of have given me less energy)

The human body runs in peaks and valleys. We don't always seem to have great control over that, even if we want to. Sometimes the mind is strong but the body weak and vice versa.

Lastly, congrats on the gains in strength etc. (and give yourself a pat on the back don't get down on yourself, it does nothing, believe me)
How much BW have you added along with those strength gains?

amcartxs

Awards
I have had this happen over the years. A few things I will just throw out... How much and how long have you been pushing/adding to them? Are other lifts faltering also?, and do you just feel flat? Do you feel real energetic going in to do them still, or more blazah and in need of a week off, or dare I say deeeeeelooooooad? Eating enough or carb cutting at all? (carbs or lack of have given me less energy) The human body runs in peaks and valleys. We don't always seem to have great control over that, even if we want to. Sometimes the mind is strong but the body weak and vice versa. Lastly, congrats on the gains in strength etc. (and give yourself a pat on the back don't get down on yourself, it does nothing, believe me) How much BW have you added along with those strength gains?
Thanks man
I have been going pretty heavy every workout usually 5 working sets and 3 warm ups sets working sets I would work up to 90% of my 1 rep max.. The only lift that has also gone down is deadlift.. I really think that my lower back is fatigued.. I feel flat after warmups for squats.. Like it's uncomfortable in a way but squats have always been my most comfortable exercise .. I'm eating 2500-3000 kcals everyday.. Also I have added about 25-30 lbs with those strength gains.. Also I'm 175 lbs
Thanks again for your input

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
It's just one of those times dude. I go through this crap once in awhile too. Hell, half of this last year was playing catch up to the maxes from the year before.

I think it's because my life got a little more stressful and I lost a little fire in me for awhile

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Working up to 90% or more of your 1RM repeatedly in the same exercise with no variations is a surefire way to backslide in your gains. Luckily, there are ways around this.

Many lifters simply don't go that heavy that often and train submaximally for strength, which can be done with great effectiveness. There are examples of guys training in the 60-80% range for years on end who make gains in strength. They'll consistently work on producing maximal force and using optimal technique with weights hundreds of pounds less than their competition max, enter a short, heavier peaking cycle with weights approaching those that they will use in competition, and then compete and set PRs.

The other solution is to put slight variations into the movements, such as the lifters at Westside Barbell will do. They will work to a max for the upper and lower body once a week, but they change the exercise slightly so as to avoid stagnation. It can be as big as maxing on squats one week and deadlifts another week, or as subtle as changing the height of the deadlifts or changing the bar that they squat with.

People will tell you one is better than the other, but it really boils down to how you want to train and what your body responds to. And sometimes, you can follow these rules above and still end up getting beat up, if that's the case you'll have to deload or reset your weights and start again, which isn't the end of the world.