Worst training advice you ever received?

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
When I was in high school some kid told me I should "bounce out of the hole" while squatting.

That's pretty bad.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
How bout squats are bad for your back.

C'mon, you know we've all heard that one before

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That I should follow Ronnie Coleman's 6 day split AND add more onto it
Been there! "I'm benching 175 for five sets of ten, Y I no grow??"

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Taking advice from the news stand ads and masses from the photo & BBing community and not hard core lifters wanting to get larger and stronger.
For me, more the info that was NOT in the glossies, or muscles rags in the 70's 80's was, that using exclusively the big compound exercises, doing a good bit of the work standing, and doing it 2+times per week, added the largest mass ie: #50-#75 pounds to my large body structures and increased my strength/power to the upper natural limits.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Doing hanging leg raises for lower abdominal.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pulldowns and military presses should exclusively be done behind the neck.

Decline bench is best because it gives a great stretch.

Kickbacks are best for mass.

Squats are bad for your back, better stick to leg extensions.

You won't grow without 4-5 forced reps.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Been there! "I'm benching 175 for five sets of ten, Y I no grow??"
Brother, you need ta be thinking more like a bro. Eat as much peanut butter and raw eggs as you can stomach. Any kind of pain means you're growing and form doesn't matter as how much weight you can move. And make it a point to call your brahs bros, because that's what it takes to be a bro, brother. Dawg. And definitely always accept the first information regarding anything you read as axiomatic. And if you don't know what axiomatic means, that's okay, you're just already one step closer to thinking like a bro, dawg. One last thing... Never actually show any signs of progression, beacuse if you show improvement, you're disin' your wolf pack, brother. Bro.

... This is a combination of some things I've heard mixed with my idea of how certain dudes talk and think. You know.. Gym bros. :\

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Brother, you need ta be thinking more like a bro. Eat as much peanut butter and raw eggs as you can stomach. Any kind of pain means you're growing and form doesn't matter as how much weight you can move. And make it a point to call your brahs bros, because that's what it takes to be a bro, brother. Dawg. And definitely always accept the first information regarding anything you read as axiomatic. And if you don't know what axiomatic means, that's okay, you're just already one step closer to thinking like a bro, dawg. One last thing... Never actually show any signs of progression, beacuse if you show improvement, you're disin' your wolf pack, brother. Bro.

... This is a combination of some things I've heard mixed with my idea of how certain dudes talk and think. You know.. Gym bros. :\
Bro that's some deep **** brah. Brother, broski

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've heard ridiculous diet advice.

Some things that especially irritate me are people who use their whole body to do pull ups, people who do lat pulldowns wrong (you know what I mean), people who roll their shoulders during shrugs and people who do any biceps exercise incorrectly. It's the ****ing biceps! How can you **** up a curl? Oh, there are ways.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Our "strength coach" in high school told us that every rep for every exercise should be done as fast as possible and you should never spend more than 20 seconds on one set. Man, if I could go back and just kick him in the nuts.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
"As a beginner stick to machines and work out no more than 3 times a week."
Way to take all the fun out of lifting.
This is actually what every gym employee will tell you in Germany.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
Let's add to this with some awesome nutritional advice. Yesterday I was told that microwaving my food kills all nutritional value.... Ahhh, roll eyes!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let's add to this with some awesome nutritional advice. Yesterday I was told that microwaving my food kills all nutritional value.... Ahhh, roll eyes!
But denatured protein HAS NO nutritional value BRAH.....:banghead:

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
But denatured protein HAS NO nutritional value BRAH.....:banghead:
Exactly.. At least bad training advice normally happens at gym or from somebody who's been in a gym. Lol. The bad nutritional advice is rampant from young to old, fatty to anorexic from work to home!

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
You didn't know? Microwaves magically defiy conservation of mass.

Microwaves were originally theorized and carved in stone by a tempar in the 13th century who was stricken with divine insanity upon entering a natural cave located deep beneath Constantiople, said to be the lair of Baphomet. The cave was discovered in the 17th century by an alchemist who failed to create the device, but thoroughly documented his experiments. Later, Rasputin located the design and improved upon it, but never finished before he died in 1916 when much of his work was sold to the German government by one of his assistants. German physicists continued his work, misinterpreting it wildly, and wrote British patents from which radar technology later emerged. During WWII, American spies stole Rasputin's designs from the Germans, and a scientist eventually got it right in 1945.

The device was large enough to transmute a cow, a process they found also dramatically increased the heat of the load. By 1967, the transmutation box was small enough to fit on a kitchen counter. Thanks primarily to very clever marketing, over a million were sold in 1975 for cooking food. It's not until recently that civilians discovered that the microwave swaps the molecules of food with that of a different dimension, essentially stipping it of its earthly nutrients, a process known as transdimensional molecule rotation, which creates heat as a by-product.

Alchemy, b!tch!

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
Bench squat and deadlift 4 sets of 6. Not bad right? Well I was 12. I got this advice from my cousin who owned a powerlifting gym. Granted at 16 I had a 315 bench and 405 squat. Had a major knee surgery at 20. I wonder why?

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established

Microwaves were originally theorized and carved in stone by a tempar in the 13th century who was stricken with divine insanity upon entering a natural cave located deep beneath Constantiople, said to be the lair of Baphomet. The cave was discovered in the 17th century by an alchemist who failed to create the device, but thoroughly documented his experiments. Later, Rasputin located the design and improved upon it, but never finished before he died in 1916 when much of his work was sold to the German government by one of his assistants. German physicists continued his work, misinterpreting it wildly, and wrote British patents from which radar technology later emerged. During WWII, American spies stole Rasputin's designs from the Germans, and a scientist eventually got it right in 1945.

The device was large enough to transmute a cow, a process they found also dramatically increased the heat of the load. By 1967, the transmutation box was small enough to fit on a kitchen counter. Thanks primarily to very clever marketing, over a million were sold in 1975 for cooking food. It's not until recently that civilians discovered that the microwave swaps the molecules of food with that of a different dimension, essentially stipping it of its earthly nutrients, a process known as transdimensional molecule rotation, which creates heat as a by-product.

Alchemy, b!tch!
Lol idk where you got this from but that was entertaining.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Alchemy, b!tch!
But you know Rasputin didn't really die right?

I do know that the 5th dimension makes delicious treats. I'm just glad we can rotate those molecules into our dimension.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards

Alchemy, b!tch!
Most entertaining thing I've read on this forum in awhile

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haven't been offered advice in probably 20 years, but to hear what the CF trainer was telling my wife in her boot camp made me lose my cool.

-Never squat w/ legs more than shoulder width because you'll pull muscles
-Make sure your knees never go over your toes when squatting, your toes should lift off the ground
-avoid the gym if you want to be in your best shape
-you have to eat 6 times a day if you want to lose weight and build muscle

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Haven't been offered advice in probably 20 years, but to hear what the CF trainer was telling my wife in her boot camp made me lose my cool.

-Never squat w/ legs more than shoulder width because you'll pull muscles
-Make sure your knees never go over your toes when squatting, your toes should lift off the ground
-avoid the gym if you want to be in your best shape
-you have to eat 6 times a day if you want to lose weight and build muscle
Should of harpooned him with a barbell

Or told him there's something black in his mouth. Then when he opens up, spit in it

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Someone told me I shouldn't squat because it would make my knees "pop." Also, he said the only thing you need to grow massive legs was lunges and extensions/curls because that's all that the Rock does.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Admittedly, if I found out The Rock ate nothing but Twinkies and ran marathons, I'd seriously consider working it into my training.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone told me I shouldn't squat because it would make my knees "pop." Also, he said the only thing you need to grow massive legs was lunges and extensions/curls because that's all that the Rock does.
Someone told me on this forum that full squats are bad for your knees. :(

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually, I'm fairly certain I saw a study that showed deeper squats do involve more quad activation than squats at parallel.
Haha, I'm being sarcastic Jim. It doesn't translate well over the net.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually, I'm fairly certain I saw a study that showed deeper squats do involve more quad activation than squats at parallel.
I believe I posted that along with many others in that thread saying that full squats are beneficial

But we all know that anyways

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Someone told me on this forum that full squats are bad for your knees. :(
I am risking looking stupid here (I am no squat expert), but can't full (ass to grass) squats be rough on knees? I always start with them but once I get past body weight my knees (mostly the one with prior partial meniscectomy) start hurting a whole lot so I switch to a narrower rom (still deeper than parallel but not full).

I always thought the best way to think about it is that full squats are better for quad development but can be harder on the knees so if you have knee problems you have to see what feels OK for your body. Is this way off? Sorry to make a serious post in here but I want to get my facts straight.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I am risking looking stupid here (I am no squat expert), but can't full (ass to grass) squats be rough on knees? I always start with them but once I get past body weight my knees (mostly the one with prior partial meniscectomy) start hurting a whole lot so I switch to a narrower rom (still deeper than parallel but not full). I always thought the best way to think about it is that full squats are better for quad development but can be harder on the knees so if you have knee problems you have to see what feels OK for your body. Is this way off? Sorry to make a serious post in here but I want to get my facts straight.
Yes, the deeper you go and the knee goes in front of the toes, it causes more compression at the knee joint. Thats why you can do squats, but not ATG squats. Yea, if you have past injuries, surgeries, ect, you just have to do what you can do.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am risking looking stupid here (I am no squat expert), but can't full (ass to grass) squats be rough on knees? I always start with them but once I get past body weight my knees (mostly the one with prior partial meniscectomy) start hurting a whole lot so I switch to a narrower rom (still deeper than parallel but not full). I always thought the best way to think about it is that full squats are better for quad development but can be harder on the knees so if you have knee problems you have to see what feels OK for your body. Is this way off? Sorry to make a serious post in here but I want to get my facts straight.
Multiple studies show that full squats are not bad and are more beneficial in several ways, permitting your knees are healthy and use proper technique.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the deeper you go and the knee goes in front of the toes, it causes more compression at the knee joint. Thats why you can do squats, but not ATG squats. Yea, if you have past injuries, surgeries, ect, you just have to do what you can do.
Multiple studies show that full squats are not bad and are more beneficial in several ways, permitting your knees are healthy and use proper technique.
OK so it seems like I had the right idea then (if you have past injuries, only go as deep as you can without irritating them)? Honestly between my back and my knees I stopped squatting for a few years, but I am really enjoying them again now and am able to go heavy and intense without hurting either as long as I keep form as close to perfect as possible and pay attention to how my body is handling the ROM. Thanks for the replies!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In general I feel pretty much any advice can be bad (even stuff that the majority of times is great advice) when it doesn't take in account the CONTEXT of question and who the advice is for.

As for this thread...at my old residence of work one of our workers told several of our athletes that if they didn't get protein in ASAP after a lift that their muscles would eat themselves. At that moment I felt beyond overly qualified at my position. :p

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
My girlfriends boss told me that it's impossible for him to lose fat, but he could shape it

M nice with the guy, but he's an idiot