Troubling Wrist Pain --- Seeking advice

stindevil

Awards
Three months ago, I began to notice a pain in my wrist during pressing exercises and heavy squats.

(the pain emanates from the top of the wrist joint.)

I thought nothing of it, but it started to become severe and only surfaced while I trained.

I decided to give the wrist a rest and take a small break from training. Well, during the break I moved and started a new job,

which all left me little time to train. Two months have past and I have recently gotten back in the gym. The only problem is that the

pain in the wrist has once again surface.

I wear a wrist wraps, take advil, and occasionally put some icy hot on the wrist with the knowledge that it is going to

do little to help.

Now I am asking you guys what you think. What do you think is the cause of the pain? (I don't remember any particular instant when I thought I injured it.)

What do you guys think I can do to alieve the problem?

Thanks

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
sounds kinda like my wrist but I injured the sheath that holds the wrist together when I was in the Army

I would suggest first off go to a doc and see if they can figure out what is wrong.

As for exercises I dont do any pressing movements with a bar anymore. Try doing more DB work and maybe hammer machines if you have access. On squats make sure your only using your hands to stabilize the bar but if it still hurts you might want to try hack squats and leg presses as an alternative.

Good Luck

rajscorps

Awards
Get to the root of the problem and eradicate it. That obviously means staying off weight lifting for a while. You may want to visit an Orthopaedist to get a comprehensive evaluation. He’d recommend rest, ice and all that. I don’t think that’d help too much though, as your problem has re-surfaced and requires a permanent solution.

My advice would be to try “Trigger Point Therapy�. Google the term to read more about it. It’s not quackery and has enough science behind it to warrant your attention. Soak in as much as you can and give it a try.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you are doing curls with a straight bar switch to a kampered curl bar.My wrist used to kill me doing chest,triceps.squats and found out by using a straight bar to do curls was messing up my wrist, no matter what excercise I did..

stindevil

Awards
My advice would be to try “Trigger Point Therapy�. Google the term to read more about it. It’s not quackery and has enough science behind it to warrant your attention. Soak in as much as you can and give it a try.
Thanks Rajscorps. I 've already began to look into "trigger point therapy," and wanted to give it a try before I posted my question.

Renton405

Awards
PH/Roids can cause alot of joint pain on cycle...I dont know if your on one but its something to take into consideration if you are..

I get wrist pain/elbow when doing alternate dumbell curls, and tricep-pushdowns...Dumbells in general give me elbow pain for some reason...Since then i have eliminated those 2 and am using a EZ-curl for the curls, and barbells instead ..I also take glucosamine/chondratin supplement which works good for the joints....and pain is pretty much gone...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I have the exact same wrist problem that I've yet to get to the bottom of. I think part of the problem is a muscle imbalance in my forearms but there is definitely some kind of tendon/ligament damage to the wrist itself.

It is slowly getting better. I took a month or so off to get over some overtraining and let the wrist heal. It still hurts but is slowly getting better. I used a neoprene wrist wrap as well.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Three months ago, I began to notice a pain in my wrist during pressing exercises and heavy squats.

I thought nothing of it, but it started to become severe and only surfaced while I trained.

I decided to give the wrist a rest and take a small break from training. Well, during the break I moved and started a new job,

which all left me little time to train. Two months have past and I have recently gotten back in the gym. The only problem is that the

I wear a wrist wraps, take advil, and occasionally put some icy hot on the wrist with the knowledge that it is going to

do little to help.

Now I am asking you guys what you think. What do you think is the cause of the pain? (I don't remember any particular instant when I thought I injured it.)

Thanks
The problem is caused by bearing a load with excess external wrist rotation. Wraps will help for bench and curls, but for squats you need to either keep the bar very high and keep your hands in close which will reduce the load on your wrists somewhat, or brace the bar with your wrists instead of your hands. Also, wrap TIGHT and unwrap after each set to maintain circulation - they are made to be put on there tight, they don't do anything loose.

iwinulose2981

Awards
i have a ganglyan syst on my wrist. when i train it looks like a large marble is under my skin at the point where my thumb meets my wrist. pretty uncomfortable but if you dont have any physical symptoms like bumps i would guess it might be scar tissue building up rubbing on a bone during certain exercises. but then again i never went to medical school so who knows, :)

Phoenix rising

Awards

do little to help.

Thanks
I had the same problem. My pain also ran into my hands, both side of the wrist, both sides of the forearms, and both sides of the elbows. I was training without the aid of straps or wraps. NSAIDS and ICE were not effective in treating my pain. I went to an ART practioner in my area and received 3 treatments and the pain dissapeared. I would highly suggest ART. I've been in a period of lifting activity now for about 3 weeks between injuries and being sick. I'm going back for more treatment. I have some hamstring/glute/ and hip flexor work that needs attenton. I guess being as stiff as a board doesnt help the matter. I cant ever remember having good flexability and I'm now 29yrs old and am now paying the price. Heres a great link:http://www.activerelease.com/ Hope this helps :)