Dumbell pullovers?

the_swol_god

the_swol_god

Banned
Awards
I've been trying to get bigger lats lately and I was wondering whether or not to include db pullovers in my back workout. Some people say they are more for chest but others say they work the Lats more. What do you guys do them for and how should I be utilizing them.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm of the "chest" school of thought. I use the cable version with triceps rope, that way you don't lose tension, and it makes setting up and replacing the weight much easier. For lats, rows, pull ups, chip ups, then more rows.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB pull overs primarily targets the chest.The lats are also involved as synergistic muscles. Doing pullovers with a barbell will be a better option IMO. Your other (more common) option is pull downs/ chin ups/ pull ups

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
that exercise has always cracked me up with its talk of muscles it hits. you look at the movement of the shoulder girdle and direction of force it is the same as pullups/chinups and straight arm lat pulldowns. and speaking of that last exercise, that just about lays it out right there what it works. but guess what, the body is not an isolated thing. many muscles are involved, lats, pecs, triceps, etc.

to the OP, if you believe it will work, do it and do it hard. if you dont believe it will help, leave it out and save your energy for other work.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I personally love hitting them from all angles. I enjoy them more tied in with my Chest exercises and after flys. Provides great pumps and I use Dbs and cables on different bench angles depending on the day.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One of my favorite exercises. Really brings out the side body muscle details. Always upper back on a bench witg your body perpendicular to the bench. Keep your ass low and get a full stretch with your reach. Feel it stretch your chest and sides. Focus on FORM. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. I save it for the end of my chest workouts.

I usually do no more than 2-3 sets for 15-20 reps. Usually just use 50 or 55lbs. On this exercise there is no need to go real heavy. Concentrate on technique and you will see progress much faster. Again, don't worry about going very heavy. If you don't use top form then you're basically wasting your time and possibly risking injury. And that's no good ;)

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I like the cable version with a wide grip using the lat pulldown bar

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
I like to use the DB and BB. The key to isolating your Lats with this movement is to keep tension on them by keeping the ROM from the floor to forehead. The movement starts recruiting more pec the further you go over the head. Getting a good stretch at the bottom sets the exercise up really well too..

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Having a pullover machine is best. Blessed to have one at my gym.

polackpl

polackpl

Awards
From the world's of arnold
He "believed' strongly that doing DB pullovers slowly expanded the ribcage over years
I do DB pullovers and see great results with my chest as well as my back
I do chest and back in the same day, so maybe my back grows :)
Opinion: Do DB pullovers

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
From the world's of arnold
He "believed' strongly that doing DB pullovers slowly expanded the ribcage over years
I do DB pullovers and see great results with my chest as well as my back
I do chest and back in the same day, so maybe my back grows :)
Opinion: Do DB pullovers
correlation does not equal causation. its like saying ice cream sales go up in the summer. crime goes up in the summer. therefore increased ice cream sales cause an increase in crime. or even better, an increase in crime causes an increase in ice cream sales.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I do them as part of my chest routine. They primarily hit chest with some lat/back ancillary action. For more lat growth you can't go wrong with barbell rows. vary your grip width to target different portions of the lat area more or less. Don't let your ego drive you to go so heavy that you cannot feel the muscle working and squeeze your back tight at the top of each rep otherwise you aren't getting the most out of the lift. Keep the weight moderate and focus on the back muscle contraction .... imagine you are pulling your elbows up .... don't focus on your hands pulling the bar up otherwise too much emphasis will be placed on the arms/biceps and the back muscles will not be as heavily recruited. Remember your body will try to lift the weight in the most efficient way .... you need to mentally select (focus) on the target muscle to see maximum results. With ego driven too heavy weight this is not possible.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Performing pullovers while lying on a bench (not across) and only bringing the dumbbell up to the top of your head will target and keep constant tension on your lats. Focus on flexing your lats throughout the movement and don't go so heavy that you're using your triceps to help support the weight. Your lats will be on fire using this approach.

[video=youtube_share;CVz8KjQtXho]http://youtu.be/CVz8KjQtXho[/video]

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Pullovers are for intercostals and serratus.. Anyone who does DB pullovers for lats = fail. Do pullups and rowing movements for back muscles.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Pullovers are for intercostals and serratus.. Anyone who does DB pullovers for lats = fail. Do pullups and rowing movements for back muscles.
i always found this entertaining. the lats are attached to the spine and cross over the shoulder to the humerus. during the pullover and the pullup/chinup the shoulder girdle moves in [relatively] the same path. so how does one exercise work the lats and the other not???? no one has ever been able to explain that to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 14
Training Forum 50
Training Forum 10
bobsaget2191 Training Forum 4
Santee Training Forum 12