cardio for cutting for bodybuilding

cory0475

cory0475

Awards
Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods. First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?

cory0475

cory0475

Awards
Oh ya the cross country season was 2 years ago. I haven't done any running since

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods. First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?
HIIT generally for 20 minutes, maybe 30 is plenty. And HIIT has been shown in studies to help, not hinder with size. Tell those guys at the gym to start reading more than just Highlights magazines.

cory0475

cory0475

Awards
But for continuous high intensity cardio for 45 min?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Logey1111

Logey1111

Awards
I usually do 10-15 minutes of HIIT followed by another 20-30 of slow steady state cardio. I have had excellent results.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Hey guys I've been arguing with some guys at the gym over cardio methods.
Right theres your problem, bad place to look for wisdom :)

First keep in mind that my body composition is an ectomorph mesomorph mix. So I have been doing 30 minutes of high intensity fasted cardio and just recently increased up to 45 minutes. This guy at my gym says that going to cost me gain and that I should just walk on an incline for the same amount of time. Anyone have an opinion on this. Also I use to be a cross country runner and gain 20 lb. My last season. What should I do?
So i have similar metabolism (body type has been dismissed but some people are carb sensitive). What worked for me was fasted cardio with OEP and extra yohimbine at intervals. Yohimbine means no luecine or protien to work. If I knew about forskolin and T2 Id have done that as well.

This is IMHO max fat loss but youre going to dip into muscle, particularly is you break beyond the "fat burning zone" around 120ish for most guys.

Theres some that believe casein + luecine sipped during is best for some weight loss without muscle loss while others say bcaas as a middle ground. So there is no right answer, its kinda of a sliding bar of max loss vs slow but careful trimming.

Mystere3

Awards
I prefer weighted vest walking, but HIIT is fine; don't do it for too long tho.

cory0475

cory0475

Awards
Right theres your problem, bad place to look for wisdom :)

So i have similar metabolism (body type has been dismissed but some people are carb sensitive). What worked for me was fasted cardio with OEP and extra yohimbine at intervals. Yohimbine means no luecine or protien to work. If I knew about forskolin and T2 Id have done that as well.

This is IMHO max fat loss but youre going to dip into muscle, particularly is you break beyond the "fat burning zone" around 120ish for most guys.

Theres some that believe casein + luecine sipped during is best for some weight loss without muscle loss while others say bcaas as a middle ground. So there is no right answer, its kinda of a sliding bar of max loss vs slow but careful trimming.
I guess I should say one more thing about max loss vs. Slow but careful. I have 7 weeks before my first bodybuilding show and I still need to loss 11lb. Which should I be doing slow but careful or max loss

Mystere3

Awards
Weighted vest walking is good. The heavier the better.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
I guess I should say one more thing about max loss vs. Slow but careful. I have 7 weeks before my first bodybuilding show and I still need to loss 11lb. Which should I be doing slow but careful or max loss
Cory keep in mind for contest you have other factors like your water management (both flushing properly and topical), skin tightness from tan/coconut oil/prep H/etc, so on. That will help some but it can only do so much so til then try to keep your mass and cut safe but slow. Might look at "The Ultimate Cardio Solution: Disclosed" by Chris Shugart on T Nation, supposedly its the zero muscle loss cardio solution, but expect to be on the extreme slow side of the fat loss spectrum.

With 7 weeks you can do alot with that if you're strict. I'd look at the anabolic diet, cut your carbs, bcaa around the clock and make sure your just under maintanence but staying high protien. Dont be afraid of fat in your diet to keep energy up and for T needs. That way you keep your gains (albiet deflatted looking without carbs) and cutting down nicely.

Go over your stack, make sure youre doing forskolin with the right beta 2 antagonists, maybe look at a cycle of T2, maybe the ageforce patch as its the only way to get Tyr-Somatostatin in your system i know of.

Before contest you will be mega senstive to carbs so then you can backload you will swell, manage your water, and be ready. Best of luck buddy

polackpl

polackpl

Awards
I found recently that 30 minutes of HiiT was eating away my gains
Downed it to 15-20
Listen to your body and moniter your progress

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Everyone's body responds a little different. Hiit for about 20 minutes post workout has worked the best for me. Good rate of fat loss while maintaining gains.

Ambizione

Ambizione

Awards
I have always done an hour of LISS post workout with bcaas. I weight train 6 days a week though so I believe HIIT would only hinder my progress and burn out my central nervous system. I do my cardio everyday as well. If you are competing, depending on whether you are using AAS or not is a huge determining factor, however if not I would stick to LISS and adjust according to your needs. I would really focus on the training if I were you, you can turn up the intensity by keeping your rest periods short (30-45) seconds and focus on your mind muscle connection.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
I would do 15 mins HIIT post workout, or 20 mins HIIT in the mornings. I personally think its best to be sipping on BCAAs, I believe your body performs on a much higher level when in a fed state which will end up helping you burn more overall calories from a more intense workouts.