Best workouts to increase verticals?

lilbill

lilbill

Banned
Awards
Well i want a good vertical for next year. I really don't know much about forums so bare with me.
Also
Im 6'3
Im skinny :(

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
- Heavy squats
- Plyometrics(Box jumps with &/or without weight, etc)
- Weighted squat jumps(Barbell, dumbbells, weight vest, etc)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jump training is all I focused on in college, I'm 6'1" and had a 32" vertical. Squatting as deep as possible on strength days and Stiff Legged Deadlifts with as much range of motion as you can, both with as much dynamic effort as possible, and 3 to 4 days later do a plyometrics day. If you have no experience with plyos you'll need to start out slow and easy, don't start on boxes higher than 12". Rebounding depth jumps with 2 legs should make up the majority of your regimine. No weights, body weight is plenty. When you step off the box (step off, don't jump off) make the shortest contact possible with the floor and jump right back up in the air as high as you possible can. Every rep should be maximum effort. No half a$$ing them or don't even bother. Single leg plyos can be done as secondary exercises, but you'll need to perform them on much lower boxes, otherwise you may suffer tendon damage. And don't keep constantly keep checking your progress. Check to see how high you're jumping once every few weeks. It may seem like slow progress at first, and it may not feel like your working hard enough with plyos to jump higher, but they're not based on strength increase, they're based on nervous system response. Trust me, they'll produce for you.

madiskinny

madiskinny

Awards
Box squats box squats box squats! :) also striping jump squats

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha well stripping jump squats is something you should try!
I've seen some people who shouldn't do ANY stripping, especially the jumping kind.

thelast10

thelast10

Awards
Read up on Olympic lifts, You see pics of these 300lb powerlifters with insane verticals. Also read about plyometrics, there certain strength suggestions they have before starting them safely. Also I don't know if it exists anymore, but when I was looking to raise my vertical in high school, there was a program (I think it came with a VHS and a special basketball) and i'm not VHS old lol I just turned 26, but my vertical increased drastically... Keep in mind I lost 75lbs during the time I was working on my vertical. It also helps to work on your core when trying to improve your vertical.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jump training is all I focused on in college, I'm 6'1" and had a 32" vertical. Squatting as deep as possible on strength days and Stiff Legged Deadlifts with as much range of motion as you can, both with as much dynamic effort as possible, and 3 to 4 days later do a plyometrics day. If you have no experience with plyos you'll need to start out slow and easy, don't start on boxes higher than 12". Rebounding depth jumps with 2 legs should make up the majority of your regimine. No weights, body weight is plenty. When you step off the box (step off, don't jump off) make the shortest contact possible with the floor and jump right back up in the air as high as you possible can. Every rep should be maximum effort. No half a$$ing them or don't even bother. Single leg plyos can be done as secondary exercises, but you'll need to perform them on much lower boxes, otherwise you may suffer tendon damage. And don't keep constantly keep checking your progress. Check to see how high you're jumping once every few weeks. It may seem like slow progress at first, and it may not feel like your working hard enough with plyos to jump higher, but they're not based on strength increase, they're based on nervous system response. Trust me, they'll produce for you.
The other thing I would add to my suggestions would to be look at improving your form in jumping. When I coached college volleyball one of the biggest things I had to contend with in freshman was their jumping technique. There's no point in taking an approach, whether for hitting a volleyball or dunking, if you can't transfer that forward momentum into upward force, it usually means there is a breakdown somewhere. I could typically get 2" - 3" more vertical with a couple of sessions of approach and transfer work. One player I had could squat 235 for 10 but could just barely get above the rim. Using some simple technique work and practice he was dunking in 8 days. He is an extreme example, but you get the idea.

thelast10

thelast10

Awards
The real key to vertical leap is fast twitch muscles, do some research FTM and what you can do to strengthen them. Unfortunately (for me at least, some are blessed) but genetics play a huge factor in Fast Twitch Muscles.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The real key to vertical leap is fast twitch muscles, do some research FTM and what you can do to strengthen them. Unfortunately (for me at least, some are blessed) but genetics play a huge factor in Fast Twitch Muscles.
Any heavy weight strengthens your fast twitch muscle fibers. The "real key" is to take that strength you already have and use plyometrics (along with strenth training) to increase the use of the dynamic stretch reflex that your muscles store up and use during forcefull contractions.

Karch Kilraly, one of the highest vertical jumpers during the U.S. Volleyball teams "Reign of Terror" over the international teams in the 80's.had a 48" vertical leap. He established that jump with a combination of dynamic squats and power cleans, and a ton of plyometrics.

thelast10

thelast10

Awards
Plyometrics are indeed VERY GOOD for vertical, and explosive movements... Just make sure you read up on em, and how to do em safely, this is an excerpt out of the plyometrics wiki

Plyometrics have been shown to have benefits for reducing lower-extremity injuries in team sports while combined with other neuromuscular training (i.e. strength training, balance training, and stretching). Plyometric exercises involve an increased risk of injury due to the large forces generated during training and performance, and should only be performed by well-conditioned individuals who are under supervision. Good levels of physical strength, flexibility, and proprioception should be achieved before commencement of plyometric training.

The specified minimum strength requirement varies depending on where the information is sourced and the intensity of the plyometrics to be performed. Chu (1998) recommends that a participant be able to perform 50 repetitions of the squat exercise at 60% of his bodyweight before doing plyometrics. Core body (trunk) strength is also important.

Flexibility is required both for injury prevention and to enhance the effect of the stretch shortening cycle. In fact, some advanced training methods do combine Plyometrics and Intensive stretching in order to both protect the joint and make it more receptive to the plyometric benefits.[17]

Proprioception is an important component of balance, coordination and agility, which are also required for safe performance of plyometric exercises.

Further safety considerations include:
Age - should be taken into account for both pre-pubescent and the elderly because of hormonal changes.
Technique - most importantly, a participant must be instructed on proper technique before commencing any plyometric exercise. They should be well rested and free of injury in any of the limbs to be exercised.

Plyometrics are not inherently dangerous, but the highly focused, intense movements used in repetition increase the potential level of stress on joints and musculo-tendonous units. Therefore safety precautions are a strong prerequisite to this particular method of exercise. Low-intensity variations of plyometrics are frequently utilized in various stages of injury rehabilitation, indicating that the application of proper technique and appropriate safety precautions can make plyometrics safe and effective for most people.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Olympic lifts and KB Swings!!!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Google "Westside For Skinny Bastards", follow the program to the T, and enjoy both not being skinny anymore and having a better vertical. Westside powerlifters and DeFranco's athletes both have absurd box jumps from the dynamic effort coupled with maximal effot. Mountain Man is right about technique as well. Without honing technique, there will be no training that will carry over. All of the other suggestions in this thread have been spot on as well.