Shrugs for girls? - AnabolicMinds.com

Shrugs for girls?

  1. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Shrugs for girls?


    I train my traps some as it is with upright rows and deadlifts and I was thinking of incorporating shrugs into my workout as well for a bit of an increase in trap size. Thoughts on shrugs for girls?

  2. New Member
    ChefJoey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    47012

    Reputation

    Wouldn't matter in relation to gender.

    Shrug on!
  3. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJoey View Post
    Wouldn't matter in relation to gender.

    Shrug on!
    Haha thanks for the advice! :-)
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629265

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Depends on if you want your traps to grow. I think physique competitors shy away from a lot of trap work. It isn't seen as very feminine. But if you want them shrug on. I like to control mine and really squeeze at the top.
  5. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,574
    Rep Power
    148225

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If you want traps that are balanced with your physique, incorporate barbell OH Press into your routine.

    No need for shrugs. Stick with compound movements for trap development, then they will be balanced with your delts. JMO
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  6. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    If you want traps that are balanced with your physique, incorporate barbell OH Press into your routine.

    No need for shrugs. Stick with compound movements for trap development, then they will be balanced with your delts. JMO
    yeah I overhead press as well, thanks for the advice Ill probably just go heavier on them!
  7. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Depends on if you want your traps to grow. I think physique competitors shy away from a lot of trap work. It isn't seen as very feminine. But if you want them shrug on. I like to control mine and really squeeze at the top.
    Yea idk man...saw a girl with big traps the other day it made her look really beastly. Even on a relatively small frame
  8. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,205
    Rep Power
    1218421

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I stay away from shrugs...
  9. Senior Member
    mountainman33's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,880
    Rep Power
    390721

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    For nice balanced traps over hand grip rows and face pulls give the most bang for your buck. My wife has a strong sexy back from those.
    Getting my "figure" back:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/254395-mountainman-1-oly.html#post4600696
  10. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Depends on if you want your traps to grow. I think physique competitors shy away from a lot of trap work. It isn't seen as very feminine. But if you want them shrug on. I like to control mine and really squeeze at the top.
    Yeah I'm really wanting to do bikini but I think a little bit of trap gains might go a long way. Thanks for the advice! :-)
  11. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Yea idk man...saw a girl with big traps the other day it made her look really beastly. Even on a relatively small frame
    It's definitely just all about finding the perfect proportion!
  12. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    I stay away from shrugs...
    Yeah! Up until now I have as well, I'm still a little iffy but I might work them in to my training maybe once a week :-)
  13. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
    For nice balanced traps over hand grip rows and face pulls give the most bang for your buck. My wife has a strong sexy back from those.
    I do these every back day! Thanks for the advice!
  14. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629265

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by madiskinny View Post
    Yeah I'm really wanting to do bikini but I think a little bit of trap gains might go a long way. Thanks for the advice! :-)



    If that is your goal I would suggest keeping an eye on your traps if you started shrugging. Bikini isn't about looking beastly haha.
  15. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    If that is your goal I would suggest keeping an eye on your traps if you started shrugging. Bikini isn't about looking beastly haha.
    Yeah I understand and my body frame is pretty small! I think I'm just going to continue doing compound exercises for traps and if I need any more size, I'll try incorporating shrugs a bit :-)
  16. Senior Member
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,234
    Rep Power
    136753

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Lose the upright rows, they will wreck your shoulders over time. Compound barbell movements, OH presses, Pendlay rows, you'll be good
  17. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    Lose the upright rows, they will wreck your shoulders over time. Compound barbell movements, OH presses, Pendlay rows, you'll be good
    Thanks I'll definitely consider that!
  18. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,574
    Rep Power
    148225

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by madiskinny View Post
    yeah I overhead press as well, thanks for the advice Ill probably just go heavier on them!
    During your OH press, make sure your head is 'going through the window' between your arms. You will really feel it in your traps. The bar should never be in front of you at the top, your head / form should look just like this. Many people don't do it right, not saying that you don't though

    Name:  the-overhead-press.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  197.1 KB

    If you do OH press like this, your traps will grow, as they are stabilizing the bar at the top. Make sure to lock out completely, and keep your core & glutes engaged.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  19. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    During your OH press, make sure your head is 'going through the window' between your arms. You will really feel it in your traps. The bar should never be in front of you at the top, your head / form should look just like this. Many people don't do it right, not saying that you don't though

    Name:  the-overhead-press.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  197.1 KB

    If you do OH press like this, your traps will grow, as they are stabilizing the bar at the top. Make sure to lock out completely, and keep your core & glutes engaged.
    Alright awesome! Thanks for the pic, super helpful :-)
  20. Senior Member
    fame126's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    264941

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    During your OH press, make sure your head is 'going through the window' between your arms. You will really feel it in your traps. The bar should never be in front of you at the top, your head / form should look just like this. Many people don't do it right, not saying that you don't though <img src="http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=96 215"/> If you do OH press like this, your traps will grow, as they are stabilizing the bar at the top. Make sure to lock out completely, and keep your core & glutes engaged.
    thats good advice ima try that tomorrow i usually end up arching my back a bit and almost never "put my head through the window" thanks for the tip
  21. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,574
    Rep Power
    148225

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Yup no problem. If you just hold your arms overhead and push your head forward, you can really feel your traps flexing, even with no weight.

    I also like to warm up using a thin/long PVC pipe, really stretching at the top, and doing what's called 'shoulder dislocations' with the pipe (holding pipe at waist level in front, moving arms up in an arc - fully locked out, and all the way around to your back). This really improves shoulder flexibility and is a good warm up for a shoulder workout.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHHgOF50Ac
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  22. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    101795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    i would drop those upright rows and do hang clean, hang snatch, snatch grip deads, and farmer's walks to work not just traps but all the surrounding muscles as well.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  23. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i would drop those upright rows and do hang clean, hang snatch, snatch grip deads, and farmer's walks to work not just traps but all the surrounding muscles as well.
    Alright awesome thanks for the advice!
  24. Elite Member
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,144
    Rep Power
    702602

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I think some video of you shrugging is in order...


    All joking aside I would look at maybe some Barbel or meadows/pendlay rows variations or doing some light deadlifts with a shrug at the top. I find high rep rows of any kind with a barbel really hit my traps.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  25. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I think some video of you shrugging is in order... All joking aside I would look at maybe some Barbel or meadows/pendlay rows variations or doing some light deadlifts with a shrug at the top. I find high rep rows of any kind with a barbel really hit my traps.
    Okay awesome thank you! And haha maybe next back day I'll upload one!
  26. Senior Member
    mountainman33's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,880
    Rep Power
    390721

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by madiskinny View Post
    maybe next back day I'll upload one!
    Yay!
  27. Senior Member
    fame126's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    264941

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by madiskinny View Post
    Okay awesome thank you! And haha maybe next back day I'll upload one!
    my fingers will stay crossed
  28. Elite Member
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,585
    Rep Power
    2483384

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Do you deadlift or perform any oly style lifts such as cleans, snatches etc... I rarely shrug and think I've got decent traps.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
  29. New Member
    madiskinny's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    38764

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
    Do you deadlift or perform any oly style lifts such as cleans, snatches etc... I rarely shrug and think I've got decent traps.
    I SLDL on back day and DL on leg day. I also power clean on occasion
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. need help for girl friend
    By andrewchap in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM
  2. RPM for girls?
    By MentalTwitch in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
  3. T3 for girls
    By Kitchen Chemist in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in