The Cardio Comedown

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
I found this article interesting and logical. Thoughts and discussion are encouraged.

The Cardio Comedown

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IMO, this most strongly applies to top tier athletes, bodybuilders, and endurance freaks. A super heavyweight can't be a marathon runner and vice versa, but for more recreational athletes, like most of us on AM, there's lots of wiggle room.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
IMO, this most strongly applies to top tier athletes, bodybuilders, and endurance freaks. A super heavyweight can't be a marathon runner and vice versa, but for more recreational athletes, like most of us on AM, there's lots of wiggle room.
That was my initial thought as well. Most of us aren't working toward being a marathon runner or an IFBB pro, so it would seem that "not excelling" at either one wouldn't necessarily be viewed as a negative for many people. It does lend itself toward the idea though, that if you want to excel more than you are, you might be well served not to deviate from specialization to much.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree. There's definite truth to what he is saying. From experience, I get better bulking gains when I cut cardio..but then my endurance goes to hell and I suck wind just climbing stairs (at 204 pounds). At 168 with lots of cardio, I have way more endurance but my strength gets cut in half...but I don't care since I don't compete at anything. Over the years I've learned to just have fun with whatever goals I have at the moment.