New Workout To Do?

ilcrba

Awards
Just want to get some peoples opinion on what to do for the next 1.5-2 months while I am on a clean bulk. I am looking to go to the gym AT LEAST 4x a week as I am deployed and I have NOTHING to do when I am not at the gym.

5'9" 180lbs 17ish% BF
Bench: 265x1
Squat: 335x1
DL: 365x1

Looking to just put some good strength and size on while slowly losing weight. I am going to be working on my diet to make sure its cleaner then when I did my bulk. And should I throw in any cardio?

I was thinking about doing PHAT? But just wanted other suggestions.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Well if you got time you could try this routine I got from a t-nation article:

Routine #1 – Size

Monday: Back Squat
Tuesday: Chin-Up
Wednesday: Incline Barbell Press
Thursday: Trap-Bar Deadlift
Friday: Seated Cable Row or Bent-Over Barbell Row
Saturday: Parallel-Bar Dip
Sunday: Off

Sets: 8-10
Reps: 8-10
Tempo: 3-0-1-0
Rest Interval: 3 minutes

Routine #2 – Strength

Monday: Front Squat
Tuesday: Pull-Up
Wednesday: Standing Military Press
Thursday: Snatch Podium Deadlift
Friday: One-Arm Dumbbell/Cable Row
Saturday: Close-Grip Bench Press
Sunday: Off

Sets: 10-12
Reps: 3-5
Tempo: 4-0-X-0
Rest Interval: 3 minutes

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Is that 1 exercise a day?
Yea it is, I typically follow a 5x5 type routine but I decided to give this a try and I'd have to say it definitely got me moving bigger weight and looking more defined. Though Sean1332's suggestion may be better, he seems to know his stuff :)

ilcrba

Awards
Well I feel like I am at a plateu pretty much. I been basically just lifting the same weights each workout. I don't log anything (yes I know its bad). Just been basically going in for the pump. This is why I am stuck with the lifting lots all the time mentality.

I am going to try and find some info on the Wendler 5/3/1 and Big But Boring accesory work. Please link me if you know.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. The book contains everything. Some enjoy the Big But Boring template, I like the Periodization Bible.

There's articles online if you want to read up on it before you purchase.

ilcrba

Awards
Sean, what are you currently doing as far as a workout?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sean, what are you currently doing as far as a workout?
5/3/1 got me started, but the type of assistance work I do is similar. Right now I'm using the Cube Method. "

5/3/1" applies to the main lift, which is explained in the book.

Example:

Monday:
Deadlift
Stiff legged deadlift
Front Squat
Maybe a row exercise

Wednesday:
Bench
Incline dumbell
Barbell row
Tri/Bi

Friday:
Squat
Good Mornings
Unilateral work (lunges)

Saturday:
Overhead press
Another type of row or chin-ups
Tri/Bi

ilcrba

Awards
Hmm, just a big change from lifting a lot of different weights to something so little.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, just a big change from lifting a lot of different weights to something so little.
These lifts are meant to be done using 70%-90% of your 1rep max from what I understand, so I would think this shouldn't be easy.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What if I said to do each assistance lift for 5 sets of (vary it) 6-20 reps? More exercises and fluff doesn't always mean it's going to be better. I understand it doesn't look like much, and doesn't look like bodybuilding stuff, but hitting something for my back 3x a week has put on some nice size. Each group of muscles is being worked twice a week.

That's just my opinion. Anyone that's tried it and followed it to the T, has had success. If you look at some of the 5/3/1 log here, guys are hitting PRs every single week and they're also achieving their aesthetic goals.

I get that it's not appealing to everyone though and understand. Just my thoughts! Other people will chime in with other great ideas. A lot of people like PHAT, and I like it as well.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These lifts are meant to be done using 70%-90% of your 1rep max from what I understand, so I would think this shouldn't be easy.
Exactly. You use %10 of your max and the percentages are based off that number. It's not a walk in the park, though it's not going to grind you down into the ground either.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check my log; I do next to no accessory work and I have pretty ok pressing numbers.

I ran Cube for 12 weeks, other than that I've run 5/3/1 for a few YEARS. it's good enough that I don't need to change it, simple enough that anyone can do it, versatile enough that any training discipline can benefit from it.

Shît, spring for Beyond 5/3/1...that'll blow your mind.

ilcrba

Awards
Ok just another question about this..

I am currently doing a bulk, not a huge one like I just did. Looking to do another 10-15 lbs in 1.5-2 months. After that I am looking to cut fat. Is it possible to do HIIT or any other cardio while doing 5/3/1 to help shred some of the fat I have now? Or will this interfere with the program?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok just another question about this.. I am currently doing a bulk, not a huge one like I just did. Looking to do another 10-15 lbs in 1.5-2 months. After that I am looking to cut fat. Is it possible to do HIIT or any other cardio while doing 5/3/1 to help shred some of the fat I have now? Or will this interfere with the program?
Conditioning would be encouraged.

ilcrba

Awards
Ok, Do you think 2 months is enough time to see some changes? And would you prefer some running or some HIIT?

ilcrba

Awards
Actually not sure why I said that. I am mainly just looking to cut down in April before I come back home. I can just keep doing 5/3/1.