1 Day per week as good as 4?

Angular Air

Awards
I don't have much time, and a limited gym membership, and so I've been thinking of just going 1 day/week and training everything on that day - is that a bad idea?

WHy do people do body parts on 4 seperate days instead of just going 1 day per week and training every body part on that day?

Training each body part 1 day a week is the ideal right? Or should one hit the same body part more than that per week?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I don't have much time, and a limited gym membership, and so I've been thinking of just going 1 day/week and training everything on that day - is that a bad idea?

WHy do people do body parts on 4 seperate days instead of just going 1 day per week and training every body part on that day?

Training each body part 1 day a week is the ideal right? Or should one hit the same body part more than that per week?
It can be done, but my reasoning behind spreading it out is you use up a lot of energy in one workout, not really allowing you to hit each bodypart effectively. What I mean is lets say you do deadlifts, than squats, than something else. By that point your body is pretty fatigued not allowing you to concentrate on certain lifts or bodyparts. Now if this is your only option I suggest you plan your workout around a few key compound exercises. Deadlifts for sure seeing as they hit around 70% of your entire muscular system. Squats, bench, shoulder presses, barbell curls, calves and abs could be done at home. That'll hit just about everything right there. Once a week will be fine with this. Just make sure you're not screwing around. Light weight is not an option. This will probably take you some time to complete so plan on being in the gym for 2 hours or so. 2 Warm up sets and 2 work sets for the big three. 1 warm up and 2 work sets for the rest will suffice. Don't take my word for it though. There's plenty of reading on the net for this type of training. Researching is your best option.

big_D

Awards
IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD GET IN THE GYM IS ONE DAY A WEEK ...I WOULD GO TWICE IN ONE DAY..LIKE EARLY MORNING AND LATE EVENING ! DO LIKE BACK AND SHOULDERS MORNING..GO HOME REST ALL DAY EAT GOOD AND DO CHEST, LEGS AND ARMS IN EVE !WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU WENT MORE OFTEN BUT DO WHAT YOU CAN !

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
you can definitely grow and grow very well on 2 days a week ... is that possible for you to do?

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
"Training each body part 1 day a week is the ideal right?"

that's the wrong mindset to have. there is no "ideal" when it comes to training. and furthermore, to an extent, goals define means.

OLers often squat 4 times a week. that would be less than optimal for a BBer.

but no workout scheme is ideal. that type of mindset will necessarily lead to false conclusions

i agree that if you can only workout one day a week, that two sessions (or maybe even three) in that day would give better results than one session

frequency + volume are two very important parameters. F is necessarily low with you. with only one workout per week, F+V would be exceptionally low. two in the one day will give much better results ceteris paribus

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
you can definitely grow and grow very well on 2 days a week ... is that possible for you to do?
I was going to ask if that was a possibility. That would make a world of difference.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
if i was going to workout 2 days a week AND those days were seperated by at least 1 off day, i would try (assuming you've built up a decent base) a 20 rep squat program variant

that could be very effective on 2 days a week

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
there are westside barbell programs that would work great on a mon/thurs split

Angular Air

Awards
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll try to do at least 2 days a week, upper body and lower body days...

I did some research on the net and indeed found some good info...

jeep69

Awards
Glenihan, you got an e-mail bro, I have a question for ya about training

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i don't think i got your email, i get a TON of junk mail so its possible i accidently deleted it ... which email address did you send it to

jeep69

Awards
na, I posted it wrong, I ment to ask what was your e-mail adress?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well i don't want to post my main email address for several reasons but email me at [/email] and make it clear in the subject you're from AM and i'll do my best to help you out :)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I tried that once and it simply didnt work for me, a minimum of 2 days per week is needed for most people. If its any help try just 2 sets per exercise with lighter weights. Sometimes if you force yourself to wo you might be suprised how much strength you can muster even though you feel tired.