3 Months Left, How Should I Attack?

ilcrba

Awards
Hey, I have been bulking for the last 2-3 months. Started at 145 and now I am sitting at 180. I have put on some good and bad weight of course but what I am looking to do is get the most out of the next 3 months. I am coming home from a deployment in 3 and don't want to come back looking like I just ate the whole time I was here. My plan was to keep bulking till about 1 month out, then doing some cardio and possibly crossfit. However I want to tackle at least 1.5-2 more months of bulking and get more weight on.

While bulking I am of course trying to put on size/muscle. Lately I have just been doing a Push/Pull/Legs. However I wasn't sure if I should stick with this or go with something else that will respond better for bulking?

Also, when I go to the gym I have no set weight, sets, or reps I do. I usually stick to 3-4 sets with 5-12 reps. Do you guys prefer sticking to the same thing each time or is constantly changing it better?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Why not start dieting down now? can always make your goal bf and than maintain it until you get home?

I usually go in the 8+ range... 8-12 is lower and 12-20 is higher hah that's bout how I do it. I usually keep compound lifts to the ~8 range

ilcrba

Awards
The only thing I am concerned about dieting wise is the food where I am located. Not all of it is healthy but a good amount is. But then the healthy food tastes so plain and there isn't anything to really spice it up to make it eatable 6 days a week. And all the food I eat here has so much Pam on it I am not sure if that is even healthy.

They have Chili here, if you let it sit in your bowl for 1 minute it will generate a 1-2mm coating on the top of pure oil. When they cook eggs in the morning for breakfast they spray pam on the grill and then all over the eggs. Even when I eat bacon there is a pool of grease/oil on the plate.

Do you have a set schedule you do for each workout or do you just lift what feels good and whats open at the gym?

rphash49

Awards
Do you have a set schedule you do for each workout or do you just lift what feels good and whats open at the gym?
Without structure it will be hard to make and maintain gains.

Example
Monday-legs
Tuesday-chest
Wednesday-back
Thursday-shoulders
Friday-arms

I destroy each body part and it takes me a week to recover.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Without structure it will be hard to make and maintain gains.

Example
Monday-legs
Tuesday-chest
Wednesday-back
Thursday-shoulders
Friday-arms

I destroy each body part and it takes me a week to recover.
I would argue the body has sufficiently recovered within a few days. Plus that looks horribly unbalanced. 4 days for upper body and one day for lower? You realise that almost 50 percent of your muscle mass is below the waist? It should have 50 percent of the split ;)

I prefer upper/lower splits twice per week with a core movement focus, i.e.

Monday: Bench + upper
Tuesday:squat + lower
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: OHP + upper
Friday: deadlift +lower

ilcrba

Awards
I am looking to start a new workout. Feel free to send me what you do for each of those days please.

Anyone recommend PHAT?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I am looking to start a new workout. Feel free to send me what you do for each of those days please.

Anyone recommend PHAT?
P.H.A.T is good.

My routine is sort of complicated and hard to explain as I have two training cycles running concurrently

ChefJoey

ChefJoey

Awards
I would argue the body has sufficiently recovered within a few days. Plus that looks horribly unbalanced. 4 days for upper body and one day for lower? You realise that almost 50 percent of your muscle mass is below the waist? It should have 50 percent of the split ;)

I prefer upper/lower splits twice per week with a core movement focus, i.e.

Monday: Bench + upper
Tuesday:squat + lower
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: OHP + upper
Friday: deadlift +lower
That is my exact layout! Get out of my head Jiggz!

I agree with the above. You don't need to stick to the routine to an exact point, but you certainly need some structure and a method to track progression.

Simply "feeling it out" in the gym doesn't seem to get people very far for a sustained period of time.