May I have a squat form check please?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd appreciate the experienced folks in here giving me some tips! I just recently dropped the weight to focus on hitting parallel, I hope I'm there... Here's the video:

Squat form check 1/10/14, 275x5 - YouTube

i think my elbows are too high, but if I try dropping them lower I feel like the bar is going to slide down my back. I guess I lose the "shelf".

Any help is appreciated! Reps from my lowly rep power for comments ;)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everything looked fantastic. If you want some more upper back tightness to keep you upright when the weights get heavier, then you will have to pull the elbows down more. Pulling the elbows down should CREATE a shelf, not eliminate it. If it doesn't, then build yourself a shelf. 100 band pullaparts every day and it'll come as fast as it possibly can.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Everything looked fantastic. If you want some more upper back tightness to keep you upright when the weights get heavier, then you will have to pull the elbows down more. Pulling the elbows down should CREATE a shelf, not eliminate it. If it doesn't, then build yourself a shelf. 100 band pullaparts every day and it'll come as fast as it possibly can.
Thanks for the feedback! I will work on pulling my elbows down.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^ They looked pretty darn good to me too dude.
If I added anything, it might be to ask if you have experimented with stance width. You look good and strong on the #275x5, but just wondering if a tad wider power stance, might help or hinder!?!?

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I'd appreciate the experienced folks in here giving me some tips! I just recently dropped the weight to focus on hitting parallel, I hope I'm there... Here's the video:

Squat form check 1/10/14, 275x5 - YouTube

i think my elbows are too high, but if I try dropping them lower I feel like the bar is going to slide down my back. I guess I lose the "shelf".

Any help is appreciated! Reps from my lowly rep power for comments ;)
I don't know if it's the angle, but your knees seem to travel quite a bit forward

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Think about pushing your elbows forward and in towards your lats. That should create a better shelf for ya. Other then that I see no issues. More knee movement then I like, but not a red flag or anything.

Famine

Famine

Awards
The bar stays lined up with your feet, so I like that.

I'm a big fan of the "So You Think You Can Squat" series on youtube. After watching that, my first go-to suggestion is usually work on the posterior chain focusing a lot on hamstrings: SLDL, GHR, and hypers.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
Think about pushing your elbows forward and in towards your lats. That should create a better shelf for ya. Other then that I see no issues. More knee movement then I like, but not a red flag or anything.
exactly. ditto on all the above. knees a tad over the toes too much, but overall nice drop depth. good stuff.

I find the hardest thing with squats is keeping my elbows forward and in. Its good though man. I wouldn't give you the stink eye at the gym ;)