May I have a squat form check please?

  1. Board Supporter
    hypo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    524
    Rep Power
    421

    May I have a squat form check please?


    I'd appreciate the experienced folks in here giving me some tips! I just recently dropped the weight to focus on hitting parallel, I hope I'm there... Here's the video:

    Squat form check 1/10/14, 275x5 - YouTube

    i think my elbows are too high, but if I try dropping them lower I feel like the bar is going to slide down my back. I guess I lose the "shelf".

    Any help is appreciated! Reps from my lowly rep power for comments

  2. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,432
    Rep Power
    544841

    Everything looked fantastic. If you want some more upper back tightness to keep you upright when the weights get heavier, then you will have to pull the elbows down more. Pulling the elbows down should CREATE a shelf, not eliminate it. If it doesn't, then build yourself a shelf. 100 band pullaparts every day and it'll come as fast as it possibly can.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  3. Board Supporter
    hypo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    524
    Rep Power
    421

    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Everything looked fantastic. If you want some more upper back tightness to keep you upright when the weights get heavier, then you will have to pull the elbows down more. Pulling the elbows down should CREATE a shelf, not eliminate it. If it doesn't, then build yourself a shelf. 100 band pullaparts every day and it'll come as fast as it possibly can.
    Thanks for the feedback! I will work on pulling my elbows down.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,797
    Rep Power
    115615

    ^^^ They looked pretty darn good to me too dude.
    If I added anything, it might be to ask if you have experimented with stance width. You look good and strong on the #275x5, but just wondering if a tad wider power stance, might help or hinder!?!?
  5. Registered User
    throneof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    32420

    Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    I'd appreciate the experienced folks in here giving me some tips! I just recently dropped the weight to focus on hitting parallel, I hope I'm there... Here's the video:

    Squat form check 1/10/14, 275x5 - YouTube

    i think my elbows are too high, but if I try dropping them lower I feel like the bar is going to slide down my back. I guess I lose the "shelf".

    Any help is appreciated! Reps from my lowly rep power for comments
    I don't know if it's the angle, but your knees seem to travel quite a bit forward
  6. Registered User
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    106495

    Think about pushing your elbows forward and in towards your lats. That should create a better shelf for ya. Other then that I see no issues. More knee movement then I like, but not a red flag or anything.
  7. Registered User
    Famine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    15

    The bar stays lined up with your feet, so I like that.

    I'm a big fan of the "So You Think You Can Squat" series on youtube. After watching that, my first go-to suggestion is usually work on the posterior chain focusing a lot on hamstrings: SLDL, GHR, and hypers.
  8. Registered User
    Dulce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  118 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    4263

    Quote Originally Posted by PumpHouse View Post
    Think about pushing your elbows forward and in towards your lats. That should create a better shelf for ya. Other then that I see no issues. More knee movement then I like, but not a red flag or anything.
    exactly. ditto on all the above. knees a tad over the toes too much, but overall nice drop depth. good stuff.

    I find the hardest thing with squats is keeping my elbows forward and in. Its good though man. I wouldn't give you the stink eye at the gym
    --for video game, product and general funz, visit me at : UnicornDroppings.com
    --Like and subscribe to my youtube channel and i'll forever be your BEST friend ;) : http://www.youtube.com/unicorndroppingschan
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Back squat form check
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 01:29 AM
  2. Front Squat form check
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
  3. Front Squat form check
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM
  4. ATG Squat Form Check (vid)
    By 808rebel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 01:23 AM
  5. Stone Load form Check please
    By polskishelby in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 11:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in