Help my hammies!!!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
My quads are starting to overpower my hammies... My current leg workout consists of this please critique.

Squats
Leg Press
Hack Squats
Seated Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Calves.

I'm tired of just pigs on the back of my legs, I wan't some mean ass hogs!!!

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
on hacks place your feet as for out in front of you as possible while still keeping your back on the pad and go as deep as possible - go well below parrallel - you will definitely feel that in your hams and glutes

my toes stick out about two inches off the top of the platform when I do hacks just make sure you where non-slip gym shoes and press through the heel

Psoas10

Awards
I would split my legs into a quad dom and hip dom day. I would do some heavy sets of deads first. Then couple sets of good mornings or sldl. Then fininsh of with some one leg back extensions. Your quad day would start with some heavy squats, then some lunges, follwed by some one leg squats on the hack. Skip the leg curl and leg ext machines, because they suck.

left field

Awards
Bohica,

you've got a lot of quad exercises in there.

I would follow Psoas advice and deadlift, GM, RDL and, if you have access, GHR.

If you don't have access, try the poor-man's version. Go to the pulldown station and kneel on the pad facing away. Hook your ankles under the knee pad and put your toes on the plate behind. Very important as you need to press the toes back.

Now, keeping your body as stiff as possible from the knees to the neck, slowly lower yourself down until you need your arms to prevent yourself from hitting the floor. You'll be in a pushup position. Using your arms for a little boost, slowly raise yourself back up by firing your glutes and hams.

Try six.

Limp home.

Good luck.

lefty

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
OK, If I broke down legs how would i split it up?

Workout as of now

Day 1: Chest/Biceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Shoulders/Tri's
Day 5: Back
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Where would i split it, and where should I place calves??

Also whats the real name of GHR?

Thanks,
BOHICA

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Day 1: Chest/Biceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Shoulders/Tri's
Day 5: Back
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest
Toss in a few exercise, 6-8 sets of hamstring on your back day. Also, might want to readjust your feet placement on exercises like leg press in order to recruit more hamstring involvement. (ie higher on the leg press platform).
Sage

left field

Awards
Glute Ham Raise.

I'm not the guy to talk to about splits. I almost never use them preferring a total body approach, three days a week.

This is what I'm doing now...

Mon
Squat 10X3
Dips 4X6 superset with
Bent Over BB Row 4X6
Skull Crushers 4X6 superset with
BB Curl 4X6
Hanging Leg Raise 4X6

Wed
Bench 10X3
RDL 4X6 superset with
Standing Military Press 4X6
Standing Calf Raise 4X6 superset with
Upright Rows 4X6
Tricep Pressdown 4X6

Fri
Pullups 10X3
Decline Bench 4X6 superset with
DB Hammer Curls 4X6
Seated Calf Raise 4X6 superset with
GHR 4X6
Lunges 4X6

Off days are very light GPP or moderate steady state cardio.

This hits everything a couple of times a week with different exercises. Eat food and get rest and this'll make you grow.

For the record, this isn't my program.

Or try this...

http://www.ruggedmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2064&st=0

Goldberg's variation on a Bill Starr program. Get big.

Sorry, I couldn't help more.

lefty

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm going to break the leg days down like this
Quads/Calves:
Squats
Hack Squats
Leg Presses

Back/Hammies/Calves
Back Exercises
SLDL
Good Mornings
GHR
Calve exercises

Sound good?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
OK I have a hamstring challenge for you guys.

It is pretty damn strange but it DEFINITELY will work the livin crap out of your hams.

You kneel down with your feet under something which will prevent you from falling over. Almost like someone was holding your ankles if you were going to do sit ups but in reverse. I wedge my heels under the leg press back support.

Then you slowly lower your torso towards the floor without using your hands. Then back into the kneeling position. Good luck :)

left field

Awards
OK I have a hamstring challenge for you guys.

It is pretty damn strange but it DEFINITELY will work the livin crap out of your hams.

You kneel down with your feet under something which will prevent you from falling over. Almost like someone was holding your ankles if you were going to do sit ups but in reverse. I wedge my heels under the leg press back support.

Then you slowly lower your torso towards the floor without using your hands. Then back into the kneeling position. Good luck :)
Didn't I just say that?

:rofl:

lefty

left field

Awards
I think I'm going to break the leg days down like this
Quads/Calves:
Squats
Hack Squats
Leg Presses

Back/Hammies/Calves
Back Exercises
SLDL
Good Mornings
GHR
Calve exercises

Sound good?
Bo,

I'm not as young as you, so I have no idea what your work capacity is, but back exercises as well as SLDLs, GMs and GHRs will probably fry you.

These are tough exercises.

I have two exercises a week and my hamstrings are strong.

Good luck, bro.

lefty

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Bo,

I'm not as young as you, so I have no idea what your work capacity is, but back exercises as well as SLDLs, GMs and GHRs will probably fry you.

These are tough exercises.

I have two exercises a week and my hamstrings are strong.

Good luck, bro.

lefty
I started thinking that tonight when I was hitting back... especially since I'm starting it with deads. I think I am gonna cut out the GHR's for now at least and see how I feel/look in a month or 2.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Bohica, one thing I've noticed is that dumbell SLDLs fry my hams 10 times more than barbell SLDLs do. Try those out and see how your hams feel the next day :twisted: