Stuck in Rut with Workouts

derekn83

Awards
I'm 31 years old, weigh 205, 5'10",17% bf. Working on dropping weight to 195. Already lost about 7 pounds by doing more cardio and eating cleaner then in the past. The problem is I'm having a hard time staying motivated in the weight room. I feel like I been doing the same workout for years. Every once in a while I switch up my routine but after a few weeks I go back to what I usually have do. Just curious if anyone else been through this and you have any suggestions. Here is a example of my usually workout. I appreciate any suggestions.

Warm-up: 10 mins of Stair Master
Dumbbell Bench 5 Sets x 8 Reps
Cable Press 4 x 10
Cable Flyes 4 x 10
Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 8
Dips 3 x 6
Tricep pull downs 4 x 12

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I don't see a need for cable and db flyes, stick with pressing and a secondary and keep the dips, try weighted dips also....

Look into 5x5

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The problem is I'm having a hard time staying motivated in the weight room. I feel like I been doing the same workout for years. Every once in a while I switch up my routine but after a few weeks I go back to what I usually have do. Just curious if anyone else been through this and you have any suggestions.
Working out is actually pretty boring and kinda redundant for most people. It is another reason why many have trouble sticking to a plan. I think the reason I have loved it this long (30+ years) is that it always makes me feel great and I love getting stronger or hitting new goals.
You have to have little goals set, in order to reach them and have your work payoff. Otherwise, it can become drudgery.
What about a training partner to help keep you motivated?

Warm-up: 10 mins of Stair Master
Dumbbell Bench 5 Sets x 8 Reps
Cable Press 4 x 10
Cable Flyes 4 x 10
Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 8
Dips 3 x 6
Tricep pull downs 4 x 12
So, can I ask if you work any other groups? (legs, hips, back???)
The exercises you mentioned, pretty much only hit chest maybe shoulders and about 20%-30% of the body's musculature?
Is this your full W/O?

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Agree with PaulBlack. Setting small goals can be a huge motivator. Don't think it has to be a PR. Rather, go for yearly or quarterly PRs every time you step into the gym. The goal can be a total weight or the number of reps per weight. It can be time under tension. Keep detailed logs and map out the night before what your goal will be the next day. Personally I have been in the gym for 25 years and goal mapping still keeps me excited to get in the gym 6 days per week.

Your routine looks to be an excellent roadmap to the land of boredom. The same sets and same reps and same weights every time you enter the gym? No lower body work?

Check out a 5x5 program such a stronglifts and track your results. Such a program has goal setting baked in the cake because the weights are increased each time you step into the gym. 5/3/1 is fantastic too, as it varies the exercises daily, the reps weekly, and adds weight monthly.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Variety is the spice of life my friend. Like the other gents have said, doing the same thing every time you go into the gym is a one way street to boredom and eventually failure.

There are literally thousands of programs out there for novice and intermediate lifters. Starting Strength would be a good one to check out. Madcow would be another although it's a bit more advanced and semi geared to bodybuilding.

Look over a handful of programs and see wich ones look like they would be interesting to you and give them each a try. You will eventually find one you DO enjoy so don't get down.

If you need any help finding a program shoot me a PM and I'll help you out as much as I can.

derekn83

Awards
Thank you guys for the feedback. I was doing less reps and more weight for a long time but I noticed I get my heart rate up more when I go at a fast pace with lighter weight. Also less rest in between sets. As for my workout I usually do back and biceps together, legs one day and then shoulders by themselves one day. I was just showing you my chest and tri workout to give you an example of the range of sets and reps I do for a given workout.

I do agreed I need to start setting more goals then just telling myself I need to lose weight. Would the 5x5 workout be a good idea to start doing while I am trying to lose body fat?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you guys for the feedback. I was doing less reps and more weight for a long time but I noticed I get my heart rate up more when I go at a fast pace with lighter weight. Also less rest in between sets. As for my workout I usually do back and biceps together, legs one day and then shoulders by themselves one day. I was just showing you my chest and tri workout to give you an example of the range of sets and reps I do for a given workout.

I do agreed I need to start setting more goals then just telling myself I need to lose weight. Would the 5x5 workout be a good idea to start doing while I am trying to lose body fat?
5x5 is well suited for any goal really. Most people tend to bulk while using this training style but it can be utilized during a cut as well.

Also most importantly what does your diet look like? Can't out train a bad diet.

derekn83

Awards
I actually just signed up with a nutritionist to help me clean up my diet that is why I asked about my workout routine to clean up on that side.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, since that is probably too general for most to pinpoint and have hyper focus on.
If your primary goal is to lose weight/BF, then diet, along with a simple well rounded program concentrating on the big groups and exercises, will work and of course a 5x5 can fit in there, but many guys will also add perhaps cardio sessions or maybe other more aerobic activities thru their week. Playing B ball swimming, some light jogging or even fast walking.

This IMO, cannot be said enough... The biggest factor that will have you hitting goals and setting new goals, is going to be how bad you want to succeed and how much determination you put into the work, effort, frequency and determination. Ask any successful lifter, business man, family man or what have you, on focusing their efforts.
Honestly, the harder the work, ie: standing and using the big compound exercises, like squatting, deadlifting, rowing, clean and pressing etc. and hitting the largest muscles groups like hips, legs, back, shoulders (loading the spine) and chest, will elicit the most systemic changes in calorie and energy gobbling and transform the body's muscle and cardio respiratory systems, more so than say a session devoted to one small muscle group like chest, with mostly lying or sitting exercises.

Deak007

Deak007

Awards
Just to throw my two cents in, I know this feeling...

What i did was supersetted everything... Mixed and matched combinations... Flat press with incline flye, INcline Press with Flat flye... etc. Help me get back on the correct path so that when I switched BACK to the style of training, it was beneficial...

KEY in body changes is nutrition... so kudos to you for going to a nutritionist!

derekn83

Awards
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I decided I am going to start StrongLifts 5x5 workout. Any advice?

And I had a question about bench. The workout is against dumbbells for bench but I work out by myself and sometimes there isn't someone around for a spot. Should I just use the barbell and be careful or use dumbbells?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I decided I am going to start StrongLifts 5x5 workout. Any advice?

And I had a question about bench. The workout is against dumbbells for bench but I work out by myself and sometimes there isn't someone around for a spot. Should I just use the barbell and be careful or use dumbbells?
I would still use bb although db's would be fine as well.

If you are nervous about not having a spotter then find a weight where you are JUST SHORT of failure for bb. For safety purposes this would be the best choice and you will still get plenty of progression as long as you keep the form tight and continue progressing up in weight.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I've tried and enjoyed both of these routines, here is a 5x5. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

And here is one I got from a t-nation article that I wish I still had the link to, really got some nice body composition from this:

First 4-weeks
Routine #1 – Size

Monday: Back Squat
Tuesday: Chin-Up
Wednesday: Incline Barbell Press
Thursday: Trap-Bar Deadlift
Friday: Seated Cable Row or Bent-Over Barbell Row
Saturday: Parallel-Bar Dip
Sunday: Off

Sets: 8-10
Reps: 8-10
Tempo: 3-0-1-0