Full body compound or Split Body ?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

Full body or Split ? Floor Press ?

I'll be running a Cycle soon, I need to get as much as I can out of it.....

I've been doing a very rigorous full body compound routine at home -

1) BARBELL FLOOR CHEST PRESS
    2) BARBELL FLOOR CLOSE GRIP CHEST PRESS
    3) PUSHUPS
    4) BARBELL BENT OVER ROW
    5) BARBELL ONE ARM ROW
    6) BARBELL BICEP CURLS
    7) BARBELL DEADLIFTS
    8) BARBELL ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS
    9) BARBELL LUNGES
    10) BARBELL CALF RAISES

While this is KILLER WORKOUT (try doing this in under 60 minutes!)

I'm considering moving to a 3 times a week split body routine. Something like Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Shoulders/Traps/Legs....

Whatever the case I am working out FROM HOME.

(That's why you see the "Floor press" above).

I have all the required equipment and weight (and bars - hammer, preacher). I'd like to stick to compound exercises, but its tough when you get to the arms and shoulders (there's only so much you can do).

Which of the 2 do you think could provide the most benefit (not cutting, bulking, etc.) but just in overall terms of building muscle.

I have gotten some great pumps and results from the full body workout, but I'm not sure its enough to kill each muscle group like I'd like so i get the most benefit of my cycle.

Sketch
    Last edited by Sketch2000; 01-04-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Adding Floor Press to the title will help others learn about this exercise.
    Mentally Unstable - Divided Mind

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

Right now I've changed to a 3x a week split body consisting of the following -

Chest / Triceps

Barbell Floor Press
    Barbell Wide Grip Floor Press
    Barbell Close Grip Floor Press
    Pushups
    Overhead Hammer Tricep Press
    Skull Crushers
    Tricep Pushups

Back / Biceps

Barbell Row
    One armed Barbell Row
    Barbell Deadlifts
    Barbell Romanian Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Reverse Preacher Curls
    Behind the Back Barbell Wrist Curls

Shoulders / Traps / Legs

Barbell Push Press
    Overhead Shoulder Hammer Press
    Barbell Front Raise
    Dumbell Lateral Raise
    Barbell Upright Row
    Barbell Snatch Shrug
    Barbell Lunge
    Barbell Standing Calf Raises

** All following the 5x5 Strength set/rep routine besides the pushups.....
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Just a few comments and opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch2000 View Post
    I have all the required equipment and weight (and bars - hammer, preacher). I'd like to stick to compound exercises,
    Do you have a rack or some kind of safety unit to bench and perhaps squat in? I did not see that listed!?

Personally, I am not wild about that split you have found, but I am an old schooler and some of these "beat up a muscle group with tons of volume in one day then resting it for 7", was not my choice of the best training approach. I am more geared towards some volume but frequency and all about focus on the big groups and adding weight to the bar on the big stuff.
    Natty or whatever, 5x5's are set up to powerize the body and build strength mass. You do not have to focus on really low reps or singles, because working hard on say the deadlift, the squat, heavy rowing pressing BP's, dips etc, with heavy weight, (in say the 70%-80% range for multi sets and reps adding weight weekly) will put overall mass and elicit systemic changes on nearly anyone if they are eating enough.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

K. thanks bro.

Im benching off the floor ( barbell floor press). I dont mind it as its actually better for your chest and better for my shoulder issues ( my elbows don't pass my body on the way down).

I dont have a rack. thats the reason why im doing barbell lunges as opposed to squats.

I did the chest and triceps workout last night. definitely killed that muscle group. the 5x5 is definitely something im not used to but perhaps thats a good thing.

The back workout im looking forward to the most. hard heavy duty all compound exercises!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

I get your point though. im just working with what I have for the moment.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

I don't see how you can get the full motion of a bench press on the floor
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

I mean if that's all you have to work with I guess it'll have to do but it's definitely not better for the chest or shoulders rather than using a bench or safer for that matter
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch2000 View Post
    I get your point though. im just working with what I have for the moment.
    That's the point of the Floor Press. Check this out -

http://www.criticalbench.com/floor-press.htm

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115073151

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4863755

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl..._floor_presses

** It's a great exercise that (many believe) work your pectoral muscles MORE then the bench press. The reason being is you have a stop of motion, then a lift. Many people use the bench press and get a "better" (bigger) range of motion which in turn forces you to use muscles other then your chest to complete the exercise (lats, back and so on).

Another GREAT reason to use the floor press (or the bench press, and stop at the midway point, meaning - NOT LETTING YOUR ARMS PASS OUR BODY - THEY SHOULD STAY PARALLEL WITH YOUR BODY) is that it is EXTREMELY good for people with shoulder / joint issues.

When people extend their arms beyond this point (when the bar hits the chest your arms are beyond your body, they are in pointed backwards, elbows pointed out - they should be flat which allows you to reach about 2 inches above your chest)

I've had 2 Orthopedic Surgeons tell me that this exercise (Bench Press) and the Military Press are the most dangerous when it comes to shoulder problems. When you bench and hit your chest your shoulder joint is actually "rubbing" against eachother (sometimes you can actually feel it).

I of course thought all of this was bull---- until my brother told me, who is now recovering from his 2nd shoulder surgery. He too had Orthopedic surgeons tell him.

One of the articles I posted above points this out. It is way more beneficial for your shoulder stability and strength. Now if you don't have any issues with your shoulders (and hopefully you never will) by all means do what you do. But I think the floor press (as stated in the articles above) has some real benefits.

Check out the article - many believe it works the pectoral muscle more then the bench. It also forces a lot of pressure on your tricep muscle in order.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.93%

Quote Originally Posted by rj123 View Post
    I mean if that's all you have to work with I guess it'll have to do but it's definitely not better for the chest or shoulders rather than using a bench or safer for that matter
    See the previous post re: the Floor Press.

As for Safety My main concern is not having a squat rack. I have a "rack" i"ve put together for the Floor Press.

I'ts also only a matter of time (a month at the most) until I get back in the gym.

I'll continue to do the floor press (many people do it at the gym - you'd be surprised - they use the rack for obvious reasons - so they have a place to lock it - and use a yoga mat like i do to lay on) its best when incorporated with other chest exercises such as the bench. When i do go back to the gym I will utilize the bench (mostly incline as it doesn't affect my shoulders as much) and if i do use the bench i will use the rack and/or the barbell bench but ensure my arms do not pass my body! That is the key for (what i think is better strength in the triceps and chest - which is debatable - see the articles i posted) but its also MUCH healthier for your shoulders.

Anyway, this is all i have to work with at the moment. Once i get into the gym i usually stay away from Workout programs.
    I tend to do what i want to do. I think workout programs can become monotonous and given the fact our body needs constant adjustment and change I tend to go in and kill each muscle group as intended but mix up the exercises.

I will say its AMAZING what you can do (at home) or at a gym with just a Barbell, Weight, Preacher Bar, Hammer Bar, and Dumbbells.

Barbell / Compound movements being the most powerful of lifts (in my opinion)

So here's my workout for now - I'm still sore from Thursday nights Chest and triceps!
    I've clarified some of the exercises a little (adding what bar I'm using for each), its a pretty good workout, again, when you do powerlifting type exercises (power cleans, squats, deadlifts, and compound movements i think you'll find your strength gains are far higher then the iso and machine exercises done at the gym).

EVERTHING 5X5 BESIDES OTHERWISE SPECIFIED BELOW.

Chest / Triceps

Barbell Floor Press
    Barbell Wide Grip Floor Press
    Barbell Close Grip Floor Press
    Pushups (3 SETS TO FAILURE)
    Overhead Hammer Tricep Press (WITH HAMMER CURL BAR)
    Skull Crushers (WITH PREACHER CURL BAR)
    Tricep Pushups (3 SETS TO FAILURE)

Back / Biceps

Barbell Row
    One armed Barbell Row
    Barbell Deadlifts
    Barbell Romanian Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Hammer Curls (WITH HAMMER CURL BAR)
    Reverse Preacher Curls (WITH PREACHER CURL BAR)
    Behind the Back Barbell Wrist Curls

Shoulders / Traps / Legs

Barbell Push Press
    Overhead Shoulder Hammer Press (WITH HAMMER CURL BAR)
    Barbell Front Raise
    Dumbell Lateral Raise
    Barbell Upright Row
    Barbell Snatch Shrug
    Barbell Lunge (GIVEN NO SQUAT RACK THESE WILL BE DONE AT 3 SETS MAX REPS)
    Barbell Standing Calf Raises (GIVEN NO SQUAT RACK THESE WILL BE DONE AT 3 SETS MAX REPS)

SKETCH

Similar Forum Threads

1. Full Body Routine or 5x5 Training
    By MAxximal in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM
  2. How's my full body 3 day split?
    By Machwon1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
  3. 5 day split or total body routine?