Pain in elbow during bicep movement?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

Pain in elbow during bicep movement?

So I've had a sharp stinging pain in my elbow right where the bicep would attach at. It's been there for the last 6 months or so. It only hurts while doing something that involves the bicep to work. I've been wearing a compression sleeve some help. 2 weeks ago I bought a elbow ice pack and ice it after each workout. Still pain though doesn't seem to be getting better. I've been working out for about a solid 5 years I'm 28 first time having pain there. I'm thinking it's tendinitis or tennis elbow same thing I think. But I wanna go to the doctor to figure this out. Should I see a regular doctor or a physical therapist? Thanks guys.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Do you have a dull ache when not in use?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

No I only have pain while working out. Or when I try to flex my bicep muscle there's a sharp pain
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Has it gotten worse over time or remained constant? If it's sharp you may have a small tear.
    Getting my "figure" back:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/254395-mountainman-1-oly.html#post4600696
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.

I think seeing a Doc. would be more beneficial and then he may recommend trying PT to avoid surgery

Just an idea as Im not a Doc lol
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  6. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Save the copay:
    Overuse injury aka:tendinitis
    Rest (a couple weeks) ice, NSAIDs
    Continued overuse will only exasperate the condition. Pain is supposed to be a protective mechanism - don't ignore it.

I cannot lift a cup of coffee without pain in my Brachial radial tendon. I bump it into something and it's almost excruciating.

Best of luck!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

It's been the same. Maybe slightly better. But still there when ever engaging the bicep to have a load on it.
  8. Registered User

You should give peptides a try..I've been fighting tendonitis on both the interior and exterior of my elbow. I've been dosing ghrp 6 and cjc no dac 100mcg 3x a day for about two months. The results are nothing short of amazing...tendonitis has cleared up and even with a caloric surplus my midsection is tighter than ever. Unless you have a reasonable source for HGH, peptides are well worth the money.
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WeT.DoLPhiN View Post
    You should give peptides a try..I've been fighting tendonitis on both the interior and exterior of my elbow. I've been dosing ghrp 6 and cjc no dac 100mcg 3x a day for about two months. The results are nothing short of amazing...tendonitis has cleared up and even with a caloric surplus my midsection is tighter than ever. Unless you have a reasonable source for HGH, peptides are well worth the money.
    I know little about peptides so forgive me in advanced: are these localized injections?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    I know little about peptides so forgive me in advanced: are these localized injections?
    These are sub q injections. Saves some pros from having surgery. Really does work wonders for temdons and ligaments. Coupled with rehab work and 4 week deload it would improve almost any joint pain.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeT.DoLPhiN View Post
    Don't suggest peptides without asking some questions about the poster.

Hes on cycle atm I believe. He could have out trained his tendons. Asking about a "friend"
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Most elbow pain is a result of tightness and/or adhesions in the thoracic.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by newman897 View Post
    So I've had a sharp stinging pain in my elbow right where the bicep would attach at. It's been there for the last 6 months or so. It only hurts while doing something that involves the bicep to work. I've been wearing a compression sleeve some help. 2 weeks ago I bought a elbow ice pack and ice it after each workout. Still pain though doesn't seem to be getting better. I've been working out for about a solid 5 years I'm 28 first time having pain there. I'm thinking it's tendinitis or tennis elbow same thing I think. But I wanna go to the doctor to figure this out. Should I see a regular doctor or a physical therapist? Thanks guys.
    I suggest contrast showers,epsons salts baths,2 week deload, and foam roller work.

I also will ask you post your macros* KEEP IT TO CALORIES,FATS,carbs and protein not listing your meals*

And please list all supplements and "other" stuff your on so we can better help you
  14. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    These are sub q injections. Saves some pros from having surgery. Really does work wonders for temdons and ligaments. Coupled with rehab work and 4 week deload it would improve almost any joint pain.
    I know well enough to know that my issue is overuse and over training and the best and first course for acute tendonitis is rest (aka: stop doing what makes it hurt). It takes strength to stay away...

Thanks.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.

I know well enough to know that my issue is overuse and over training and the best and first course for acute tendonitis is rest (aka: stop doing what makes it hurt). It takes strength to stay away...

Thanks.
    I take off 2 weeks a year. I am like a crack addict in that time lol. MUST LIFT!!!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.

They can be localized. There's numerous logs of individuals using PEG MGF, IGF lr3, GHRH + GHRPs for localized pain (elbows, knees and some ankles)

There NOT just sub q, for convenance yes. You can take it IM (what I do) as well
    MYOKEM SPONSORED ATHLETE
    Psalms 62:1-62:2
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I know well enough to know that my issue is overuse and over training and the best and first course for acute tendonitis is rest (aka: stop doing what makes it hurt). It takes strength to stay away... Thanks.
    How mobile is your thoracic?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How mobile is your thoracic?
    Thoracic spine? Dude - I'm 48

My flexibility has gone to **** and more noticeable the last couple years since I started playing baseball. I've always had an issue with my middle spine (T6-T10 ish) and have a C5/C6 compression injury years ago.

I need to develop and stretching, relaxation and meditation routine really bad.

Your suggestion(s)?
  19. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Bueller?
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Look up Kelly Starrett thoracic mobility on YouTube. You'll find all the info you need.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

This was exactly my story last year!! I had calmed down with working out for a bit (like 2 months) and started back up. I felt strong so I kept moving to heavier weight and more reps. I had felt some minor pain in my left elbow while lifting for a few weeks but I ignored it. One day during pull ups my left arm gave out and I felt a sharp pain shoot up my whole arm from my elbow. Had an MRI which didn't show anything and deduced it was tendonitis. I left it alone and just did cardio for a month and when I tried to lift again it still hurt but not as bad. I tried elbow wraps, sleeves, etc and none worked. Aspirin, ice, keeping the weights light and not doing anything that hurt my elbow is how I eventually got back to normal. It took almost a full year before my elbow felt normal though I admit I ran an osta/S4 cycle at some point which seemed to help it a bit. Overall just use aspirin, ice, rest as needed and don't do anything that hurts it.
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    This was exactly my story last year!! I had calmed down with working out for a bit (like 2 months) and started back up. I felt strong so I kept moving to heavier weight and more reps. I had felt some minor pain in my left elbow while lifting for a few weeks but I ignored it. One day during pull ups my left arm gave out and I felt a sharp pain shoot up my whole arm from my elbow. Had an MRI which didn't show anything and deduced it was tendonitis. I left it alone and just did cardio for a month and when I tried to lift again it still hurt but not as bad. I tried elbow wraps, sleeves, etc and none worked. Aspirin, ice, keeping the weights light and not doing anything that hurt my elbow is how I eventually got back to normal. It took almost a full year before my elbow felt normal though I admit I ran an osta/S4 cycle at some point which seemed to help it a bit. Overall just use aspirin, ice, rest as needed and don't do anything that hurts it.
    Thanks man. That's exactly what I'm gonna do is ice , rest, anti inflammatory stuff. And just lay off and thing that hurts it for a good month and try to slowly ease back into it.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Sounds to me like it could be due to an imbalance in the extensors/flexors of the elbow. Do you put just as much (if not more) attention on the triceps as the biceps in comparison? You should be.

I'm not saying that's definitely what it is, but a lot of times the same thing happens to the shoulders when someone has internal humerus rotation, protracted shoulders when they overwork the chest and neglect the back, lordosis when they over work the hip extensors and under stimulate the hip flexors or place stress on the ACL when the quads are significantly more active than the hamstrings.

If you're putting too much emphasis on the biceps, this could indeed be the problem. If it is, stretch the biceps and start a 2:1 ratio of tricep stimulus vs. bicep stimulus.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Sounds to me like it could be due to an imbalance in the extensors/flexors of the elbow. Do you put just as much (if not more) attention on the triceps as the biceps in comparison? You should be.

I'm not saying that's definitely what it is, but a lot of times the same thing happens to the shoulders when someone has internal humerus rotation, protracted shoulders when they overwork the chest and neglect the back, lordosis when they over work the hip extensors and under stimulate the hip flexors or place stress on the ACL when the quads are significantly more active than the hamstrings.

If you're putting too much emphasis on the biceps, this could indeed be the problem. If it is, stretch the biceps and start a 2:1 ratio of tricep stimulus vs. bicep stimulus.
    You asked the question I was going to ask. I've had the same problem myself with imbalance in my bicep Tricep training... Also not stretching my arms is what caused the real pain. So my question is do you stretch the Muscle groups regularly?
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  74K lbs.

Thumbs up Pain in the Elbow!

I had exactly the same thing, a sharp stabbing pain followed by a dull ache, deep inside my elbow.
    I tried various wraps, supports etc but the pain got worse and stopped me progressing up the weights.
    In desperation, I tried a little battery operated device made by Tenease.com. They offered a full guarantee and refund , so I went for it.
    After two weeks of using it the pain stated to ease, and within a month it had gone, I was really shocked that something so simple and relatively cheap, actually worked. This isn't Bull, I very rarely reply to posts, but this struck such a chord and I wanted to let you know it can be sorted quite quickly. Andy
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

Maybe a slight bit more on bicep then tricep. I try to hit both heads of the bicep good. Which then makes me do more sets trying to equally hit them both good. I try to isolate the triceps too. But maybe a tad more focus on bicep. Thanks I'll keep a eye on it. And throw in some more tricep to bicep once I start back up on it. I'm laying off any elbow flexion things for another 2 weeks.
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Maybe a slight bit more on bicep then tricep. I try to hit both heads of the bicep good. Which then makes me do more sets trying to equally hit them both good. I try to isolate the triceps too. But maybe a tad more focus on bicep. Thanks I'll keep a eye on it. And throw in some more tricep to bicep once I start back up on it. I'm laying off any elbow flexion things for another 2 weeks.
    Isolation of a particular head of a muscle is a myth. Hell, biceps training in general is overrated and overvalued. 99% of people do far too much volume for biceps relative to the size and importance of the muscle.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Isolation of a particular head of a muscle is a myth. Hell, biceps training in general is overrated and overvalued. 99% of people do far too much volume for biceps relative to the size and importance of the muscle.
    ^ Couldn't have said this any better myself.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

Possibly I don't really know enough to make a argument just from what I read and things I've watched. Would you agree changing your grip every now and then would be beneficial in terms of muscle growth?
  30. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Possibly I don't really know enough to make a argument just from what I read and things I've watched. Would you agree changing your grip every now and then would be beneficial in terms of muscle growth?
    I just do one DB and one BB variation each week. IMO, biceps respond well to higher frequency and less overall volume.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

I rarely if ever do any bicep iso curling exercises, (have not for probably 10 or so years now) with all of my arm curling coming from various rowing, chinning, pull dwn moves and compound work etc. and my arms are as big or bigger, than when I did 10 sets of curls 2 or so times per week. Also I recently did some strict curls and am 98% as strong in them now than back then, honest. I am with the overrated crowd.
    If anything, grip or forearm work, might be of more benefit IMO and or even maybe a few sets of hammer or reverse curls each week. Nothing wrong with a few sets, but IMO some guys spend waaaaaaaay too much time bombing and blitzing a small muscle that does not need so much iso attention.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

Update on the situation. I've layed off any biceps lifting movement. Including anything to do with biceps, back, or any type of chest fly since that seemed to put pressure on it. I've keep up with just going 3 days a week. I've been taking anti inflammatory stuff (aspirin) I've been icing my elbow atleast once a day and using penetrex anti inflammatory cream twice a day. I tried a lat pull down yesterday and it felt great where as before I could barely do it. Been about 4 weeks. Gonna lay off it another 2 weeks atleast but seems to be getting better. Thanks for the help guys.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  118 lbs.

I get that same pain when I do pull ups O.o
    --for video game, product and general funz, visit me at : UnicornDroppings.com
    --Like and subscribe to my youtube channel and i'll forever be your BEST friend ;) : http://www.youtube.com/unicorndroppingschan
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'7"  235 lbs.

I did too. It was anything that required my bicep to handle a load (only in my right elbow). It was fine outside of the gym. It's feeling better. Hopefully just tendinitis.
  35. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Update on the situation. I've layed off any biceps lifting movement. Including anything to do with biceps, back, or any type of chest fly since that seemed to put pressure on it. I've keep up with just going 3 days a week. I've been taking anti inflammatory stuff (aspirin) I've been icing my elbow atleast once a day and using penetrex anti inflammatory cream twice a day. I tried a lat pull down yesterday and it felt great where as before I could barely do it. Been about 4 weeks. Gonna lay off it another 2 weeks atleast but seems to be getting better. Thanks for the help guys.
    Sounds like the tricep tight. Put a baseball against the wall and self massage the area...especiallythe lower tricep. Saves getting ART. Works for me and my clients....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Severe pain in quads during lunges?
    By R1187 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 04:37 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM
  3. Pain in right bicep
    By newman897 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM