change routine (keep the same exersices)

nightmare1234

Awards
i would like to change my routine from P/P/L to phat but everyone told me that it isnt good to change the routine after three month coz the body has to adapt so my question is for how long should i stay in this routine for make change to phat ?
i would like to start doing the explosive set like in phat and power days ,
but i am sure that as layne nortone add to his routine the power day and explosive day will be better than i will do with my program ,
so what should i do ? how long to wait to make change ?

this is my current program

current routine:
routine :
LEGS/PUSH/PULL/REST/LEGS/PUSH/PULL

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves):

Barbell Squats: 4x6-8
romanian deadlift: 4x8-10
front squat :2x10
leg extension: 3x10-12
Hamstring Curls (circuit machine):4x10-12
Standing Calf Raises (circuit machine): 5x15

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x6-8
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x10
Seated (or Standing) Barbell Shoulder: 3x10-12
Dips lean forward : 2x8-10
incline dumbbell fly - 2x15
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns (circuit machine): 3x10-12
Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):

reverse grip row: 5x10-12 (hypertrophy day)
Lat Pulldowns with (Long Bar or V-bar) (circuit machine): 3x8-10
Seated Rows with cables - : 3x8-10
dumbbell row one hand 2x15
Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
Barbell Bicep Curls : 3x-10-12
(typically Hammer Curls): 3x10-12

overworked

Awards
I change my routine up every 8-12 weeks depending on how i feel. Am i still seeing results? Am i bored to the point its effecting my intensity? Or if i feel i need more focus on a particular area. Its up to you and everyone is different.

nightmare1234

Awards
can i add to my workout explosive for example 6 set of 3 reps of bench press with chain instead of the warm up in push day ?

overworked

Awards
Im not familiar with the explosive workout but if you feel that the change would be beneficial i would try it both ways and see which way works better for you.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
current routine:
routine :
LEGS/PUSH/PULL/REST/LEGS/PUSH/PULL

Legs (Quad/Ham/Calves)
Barbell Squats: 4x6-8
romanian deadlift: 4x8-10
front squat: 3x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x6-8
or
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x10
Seated (or Standing) Barbell Shoulder: 3x10-12
Dips lean forward : 2x8-10
Rope Pushdowns: 4x10-12

Pull (Back/Biceps):
reverse grip row: 5x10-12 (hypertrophy day)
dumbbell row one hand 4x15
Face-pulls: 3x-15-20
Barbell Bicep Curls : 3x-10-12
I cut crap out of your routine. If you're gonna lift 6 days a week, then you need to cut down on your stuff.

Explosive or dynamic work, like your bench, should NOT be a warmup. You still need to warmup and mobilize properly. You could have 150lbs on the bar but try to exert 300lbs of force through it. Search "compensatory acceleration training (CAT)" and also Pripelin's chart.

You could follow your bench press by some lighter presses to focus on CAT.

If you're going to follow PHAT, then follow PHAT. Don't screw around with something that's already good. Basterdizing templates for no reason is pointless. What you've listed, isn't Layne Norton's program.

I might also recommend an upper/lower/upper/lower "split" since I don't like training 6x a week.

*In keeping with the title of your thread, you can still use the original compound exercises that you wish"

Example:

Upper
Horizontal Press (Bench)
Bench Press accessory
Horizontal Row (Barbell or dumbell row)
Bi/Tri

Off

Lower
Deadlift
Stiff legged deadlift
Front Squat
Pull-ups

Off

Upper
CAT/Dynamic Bench
Overhead Press
Another row variant
Bi/Tri

Lower
Squat
Good mornings
Lunge variant

Off

Pick one exercise for each movement I listed, and hammer the fück out of it for 5 sets for whatever rep range tickles your pickle.

More, 6 days a week of a lot of movements, doesn't always mean it's better.

What PHAT should be:
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html

See Option 4, similar to what I setup. This is 5/3/1. If it seems interesting, then do it. If not, then at least follow the example template.
http://pfaufitness.blogspot.com/2012...e-and.html?m=1

Similar to what I set up, except it brings up utilizing specialized variants of your big 3 lifts AND utilizes different methods of effort days (maximal, dynamic, and repetition)
http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

nightmare1234

Awards
ty very very much for your question ,
i know that my routine isnt the best this is why i want to start layne norton phat but as i know to change routine after two month or three isnt optimal the body has to adpat so what whould u do instead of me ?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ty very very much for your question , i know that my routine isnt the best this is why i want to start layne norton phat but as i know to change routine after two month or three isnt optimal the body has to adpat so what whould u do instead of me ?
What would I do? Everything I said in that first post of mine..

nightmare1234

Awards
u said this :
If you're going to follow PHAT, then follow PHAT. Don't screw around with something that's already good. Basterdizing templates for no reason is pointless. What you've listed, isn't Layne Norton's program.

but i am not following phat because it isnt optimal to change routine every 3 months as i have heard ,
and the routine u had suggested me is different than mine so if i will change my routine it will be to phat routine and not your so your answer helped me to understand alot but i didnt understand if i should keep my routine or change it to phat ??
or i should wait some month for change to phat

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm having trouble understanding. Your thread title says your changing your routine. Now you're saying you don't want to change routines?

You're fine to change your training, ESPECIALLY if it's better than what you're doing.

nightmare1234

Awards
so all the talking about staying at least for some months in workout routine is;nt right ?
if i will change my routine to phat i will need 3 more month to only adapt .
so i losed 3 month that i could gain some muscle ,
i just Consults with u
ty

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
so all the talking about staying at least for some months in workout routine is;nt right ? if i will change my routine to phat i will need 3 more month to only adapt . so i losed 3 month that i could gain some muscle , i just Consults with u ty
You're thinking about it too much. Just do it. It's better than the training you were doing previously.

They say to stick to a program for a few months, so that you can wreak all the benefits of it.

Your body will handle you training differently. You have nothing to worry about.

nightmare1234

Awards
ty very much man ,
only one question take a situtation that i start a phat and want to change to other program for how long should i stick with phat before changing to other routine that my muscle gain will not slow down ?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ty very much man , only one question take a situtation that i start a phat and want to change to other program for how long should i stick with phat that my muscle gain will not slow down ?
Until it stops producing results and/or you find something better to obtain your goals with, permitting that diet is inline with your goals.

nightmare1234

Awards
ok ty very much i will start phat,
some question when u got time .
1. i am training home dont have hack squat so is it possible to do front squat and regular squat in the same day (power day)? in additional i want to add regular deadlift , can i do it in powerr day too ? or it is too much ? layne nortone suggest not to do it and not to do front squat and regular squat on same day ,
but i think i can handle it what do u think ?
2. i want to start cardio , what do u think is the best time in this routine ? there are two rest day one of them is after legs day , so i have problem to do cardi twice a week

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You can alternate deadlifts for squats every other week. I believe he mentions it in that article I posted.

Front squat would be a very very good replacement for front squats.

nightmare1234

Awards
no chance i do deadlift in lower power day what is the problem ?? and romanian deadlift on hyper?
i want to do both squat and deadlift if i will change every 4 week as layne nortone suggest i will not improve my weight so much not at deadlift and not in squat :)
ty very much