Best angle for hack squat machine?

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I'm never sure as to what is the best angle between the platform of the hack squat machine/press, and the actual machine. It seems like 90 degrees is about right, because anytime I lower the platform (which increase the angle to greater than 90), it hurts my knees more.

What do you think?

Is 90 degrees the ideal angle, or something greater or even less?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
whatever is the best as you think it is, do NOT stop the knees at 90 degrees. it is a very weak position.

as for a machine, just do the barbell version and then you dont have to worry about it.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Stop short of 90 degrees, or go deeper?
always deeper. its better for the knees and for hamstring development.

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
Ive always went all the way down possible on hacks , but I use light weight and do them after heavy squats and leg presses, then finish with leg extensions and sometimes lunges,,i used to alternate different days between either using hack squats or front squats on the smith with legs forward.. for hams I do lying leg curls, seated leg curls & stiff legged deadlifts..

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I go light as well (following heavy work), and also slow - controlling the movement and really trying to feel the muscles being worked.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
whatever is the best as you think it is, do NOT stop the knees at 90 degrees. it is a very weak position.

as for a machine, just do the barbell version and then you dont have to worry about it.
No squat hack in my gym unfortunately, so it has to go with machine. Interested on input as well on feet placement since I will be going on a guided position. Should I keep my feet well in front of my body or what?

Last time I had some lower back pain, like I pinched something, so surely would appreciate input on how to perform a better movement on the machine.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
a hack squat can be done without a machine. doing it that way then you dont have to worry about foot placement or how deep you go.

here is a link explaining the lift.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html
Impossible at my gym, no free standing bars, only one is at the bench press and that is impossible to re-rack with heavy weights. Not to mention it is always crowded as f...

And no, unfortunately, no other gyms in the area that have the option of free standing squats.

It comes down to: smith machine, or no squat at all, just leg presses.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Impossible at my gym, no free standing bars, only one is at the bench press and that is impossible to re-rack with heavy weights. Not to mention it is always crowded as f...

And no, unfortunately, no other gyms in the area that have the option of free standing squats.

then to be honest, your gym is a worthless pile and you need to leave.

if no other gym is around, then get what you need at home; a bench, a cage, and an olympic weight set. you can get all that for about a grand. it will last you 20+ years. not bad for less than 50 bucks a year. i paid about 800 for that stuff about 12 years ago. still have it, still using it, still in great shape. sure i paid a little bit more upfront than i could afford at the time. but i am now saving hundreds every year and i can do what i want, what i need, when i want, and how i want.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
then to be honest, your gym is a worthless pile and you need to leave.

if no other gym is around, then get what you need at home; a bench, a cage, and an olympic weight set. you can get all that for about a grand. it will last you 20+ years. not bad for less than 50 bucks a year. i paid about 800 for that stuff about 12 years ago. still have it, still using it, still in great shape. sure i paid a little bit more upfront than i could afford at the time. but i am now saving hundreds every year and i can do what i want, what i need, when i want, and how i want.
I live in a metropolis, not in the US, in an apartment, with no better gym option within a 50 minute drive. There is no way around it, which brings me back to the original question as to what would be the best angle.

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards

all you need is a smith machine... do smith squats, leg press, front squats on smith with legs forward, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raise on smith, calf extension on leg press

5 sets of each your legs will grow

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
all you need is a smith machine... do smith squats, leg press, front squats on smith with legs forward, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raise on smith, calf extension on leg press

5 sets of each your legs will grow
are ****ing kidding me? all you need is a smith machine? how about the exact opposite. avoid that pile of crap like the plague!

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
are ****ing kidding me? all you need is a smith machine? how about the exact opposite. avoid that pile of crap like the plague!
if thats all he has access too than thats all he needs.. wtf u talking bout? you dont think you can grow off smith squats combined with leg presses, leg ext etc..?? I didnt say replace the free weight squat in a rack with a smith machine, i said if all you have is a smith machine then thats all you need to make your legs grow combined the other leg excercises.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If u truly want results , then invest... Olympic set, cage etc....what the other guy said...
Screw the smith machine... Ha...

ThinkbigAX

Awards
Yeah, definitely looking into a Cage and a Olympic weight set. There's nothing like free weight squats IMO. As far as feet positioning, I like to step out about 4 inches from the edge of the front platform and take a wide stance so i can get deep and keep the pressure off my knees.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If u truly want results , then invest... Olympic set, cage etc....what the other guy said...
Screw the smith machine... Ha...
Jesus Christ...

I am well aware that:
- free squats are better
- hack squats are not the best
- leg press alone wont do anything

But if you pay attention I:
- Cant afford a squat rack for my house
- My house does not have room for a Squat Rack
- No gyms around have squat racks. NONE. No gyms within a 50 minute driving distance have squat racks. None, zip, nada. No if, and or but about it.

So, seeing MY ONLY OPTIONS, are either I use the Smith Machine or not squat at all, I ask once again; what would the best angle be for using this for squatting? Or ditch it and nothing but leg presses?

Constantly repeating "buy a squat rack... change gyms... invest" really is not helping at all as these are not viable options. I have to work with what I got, I miss Liftetime fitness in Michigan but that is not the card I have been dealt with where I currently am, simple as that.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm really sorry to hear that...
U r right, work with what u have...
Use ur imagination, lol..
At one point I had a motor bike tire tube filled with 30lbs of sand, ha ha... I'd throw it on my shoulders n do lunges with it...
Get creative my friend, wish u all the best!!
:)

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
If your gym has heavy dumbbells goblet squats are pretty great

ThinkbigAX

Awards
Jesus Christ...

I am well aware that:
- free squats are better

- No gyms around have squat racks. NONE. No gyms within a 50 minute driving distance have squat racks. None, zip, nada. No if, and or but about it.

So, seeing MY ONLY OPTIONS, are either I use the Smith Machine or not squat at all, I ask once again; what would the best angle be for using this for squatting? Or ditch it and nothing but leg presses?

Constantly repeating "buy a squat rack... change gyms... invest" really is not helping at all as these are not viable options. I have to work with what I got, I miss Liftetime fitness in Michigan but that is not the card I have been dealt with where I currently am, simple as that.
Well don't ditch them completely. You can step under the weight for squats on the smith machine then you step forward a step and lean against the bar and squat. This turns it into more of a hack squat feel and will kill your quads and also keep the pressure on your heels and not your knees.

Just my opinion due to old injuries. You can do everything you can do on free weights but your kind of slave to the machine.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If your gym has heavy dumbbells goblet squats are pretty great
I'm really sorry to hear that...
U r right, work with what u have...
Use ur imagination, lol..
At one point I had a motor bike tire tube filled with 30lbs of sand, ha ha... I'd throw it on my shoulders n do lunges with it...
Get creative my friend, wish u all the best!!
:)
Kinda two in one answer here: There are "somewhat" of heavy dumbbells. They go up to 90lbs. But that puts a halt at (duh) 180lbs. Which in all honesty isn't so much of a challenge so I've been doing with these as a widowmaker at the end of the workout, going up to 20ish reps. The only problem is that my arms (my shoulder and forearms more specifically) are the ones to give in, not my legs really. I have to stop because I can't grip anymore rather than because my legs are out.

Well don't ditch them completely. You can step under the weight for squats on the smith machine then you step forward a step and lean against the bar and squat. This turns it into more of a hack squat feel and will kill your quads and also keep the pressure on your heels and not your knees.

Just my opinion due to old injuries. You can do everything you can do on free weights but your kind of slave to the machine.
Appreciated! That's what I'm trying to grasp. I always stood under the bar, so I wasn't sure if I should step forward more or what. The last time I stepped right under it I had a sore back the next day. I'm assuming then I should take a few steps forward and work it more as a standing leg press for instance rather than try to adjust the movement to "fit" the machine?

I really don't want to let go of the squat, specially because I try to follow DC training, which would be a PITA if I tried to do without squats in it...

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
You only use one dumbbell in the goblet squat I'll post a link to a video when I get off the phone and onto the computer. Its kind of like a front squat

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
Jesus Christ...

I am well aware that:
- free squats are better

a squat is a squat is a squat.. doesnt matter if on a smith or in a rack.. sure a barbell squat is better than being "trapped" by the smith's fixed plane of motion and you will not get the added benefit of utilizing every "stabilizer" muscle but just focus on the contraction and squeeze. go heavy and go deep and you will grow..try different foot positions and focus on the movement. I would do something like this, 2 sets of warm up & 5 working sets:

2 x 15-20 reps warm up
2 x 10-12 reps
2 x 6-8 reps
1 x 8-10 reps

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
a squat is a squat is a squat.. doesnt matter if on a smith or in a rack..
really? want to try again. lets look at the people that know squats the best, powerlifters. they do not allow a machine in competition. why is that? because its a machine, not a squat.

sure something is better than nothing but comparing a smith machine or even a hack squat to a squat is just silly. there have been many studies comparing machine squats to squats. usually they are broken into 3 groups for training, a squat only group, a machine only group and a squat and machine group. the squat group always gains the most strength. the machine group only always gains the least if any. some i have read showed the machine only group lost strength on the squat while having the greatest gain on machine squats.

what i see here is a lack of desire to succeed. where there is a will, there is a way. i see no will, therefore there is no way.

the excuse of, cant get the equipment is a cop out. i got my first cage and bench and olympic weight set for a few hundred dollars total. i lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and gave up my living room space to train the way i needed to. 12 years later i have garage gym that can put many commercial gyms to shame. some of the equipment i made myself to help keep costs down. i had a will and i found a way.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
really? want to try again. lets look at the people that know squats the best, powerlifters. they do not allow a machine in competition. why is that? because its a machine, not a squat.

sure something is better than nothing but comparing a smith machine or even a hack squat to a squat is just silly. there have been many studies comparing machine squats to squats. usually they are broken into 3 groups for training, a squat only group, a machine only group and a squat and machine group. the squat group always gains the most strength. the machine group only always gains the least if any. some i have read showed the machine only group lost strength on the squat while having the greatest gain on machine squats.

what i see here is a lack of desire to succeed. where there is a will, there is a way. i see no will, therefore there is no way.

the excuse of, cant get the equipment is a cop out. i got my first cage and bench and olympic weight set for a few hundred dollars total. i lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and gave up my living room space to train the way i needed to. 12 years later i have garage gym that can put many commercial gyms to shame. some of the equipment i made myself to help keep costs down. i had a will and i found a way.
Alright dude, for calling me out;

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment that is 480 sq feet. Feel free to design something that would allow for me to have a living room, a bedroom and a fking squat rack in there. By all means, please, PLEASE do. Show me the floorplan in which I will have a couch, a bed, a TV and a fking squat rack and where I should keep the weight. Please do not forget the area where I entertain anyone who would eventually come in to visit me and how I'm going to fit that motherfcking rack in and out of the apartment.

Now, lets pretend I have the room. Care to buy this 1,500 piece of equipment? (btw, no weight included, that's extra, by all means throw in the 300lbs in too). http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-529846312-power-rack-gaiola-agachamento-_JM . Note, you do realize that is an USED piece of equipment correct? Each plate of 45lbs also cost at least $50 on the same used item website. We'll call it 350 with the bar for short. Just a quick 2k, easy enough in a city which cost of living compares to Manhattan.

Now, I've walked to every single gym in my surrounding, none have a squat rack. None. I do not own a car as I live in a metropolis and there is no where to park. I would have to take a bus. A motherfking bus, and with traffic, the closest place is literally 50 minute ride, in a 90 degree temperature with no AC, just to GET to the gym, and then there is the ride back. Did I mention I work from 7am - 6pm, the earliest? And no, there isn't a gym with a rack near my job either as I work extremely close to where I live.

So with all these quick variables in mind, by all means with that, show me the will to squat and the benefits for doing so instead of adapting. You go around making assumptions because you got your first rack when you were 7 years old in boonsville nebraska for 200 bucks and fit it in a 3 story house with a 3 car garage that cost a total of 40k. Yeah, that makes absolutely perfect sense. I am a total cop out.

Done ranting now.

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
Alright dude, for calling me out;

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment that is 480 sq feet. Feel free to design something that would allow for me to have a living room, a bedroom and a fking squat rack in there. By all means, please, PLEASE do. Show me the floorplan in which I will have a couch, a bed, a TV and a fking squat rack and where I should keep the weight. Please do not forget the area where I entertain anyone who would eventually come in to visit me and how I'm going to fit that motherfcking rack in and out of the apartment.

Now, lets pretend I have the room. Care to buy this 1,500 piece of equipment? (btw, no weight included, that's extra, by all means throw in the 300lbs in too). http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-529846312-power-rack-gaiola-agachamento-_JM . Note, you do realize that is an USED piece of equipment correct? Each plate of 45lbs also cost at least $50 on the same used item website. We'll call it 350 with the bar for short. Just a quick 2k, easy enough in a city which cost of living compares to Manhattan.

Now, I've walked to every single gym in my surrounding, none have a squat rack. None. I do not own a car as I live in a metropolis and there is no where to park. I would have to take a bus. A motherfking bus, and with traffic, the closest place is literally 50 minute ride, in a 90 degree temperature with no AC, just to GET to the gym, and then there is the ride back. Did I mention I work from 7am - 6pm, the earliest? And no, there isn't a gym with a rack near my job either as I work extremely close to where I live.

So with all these quick variables in mind, by all means with that, show me the will to squat and the benefits for doing so instead of adapting. You go around making assumptions because you got your first rack when you were 7 years old in boonsville nebraska for 200 bucks and fit it in a 3 story house with a 3 car garage that cost a total of 40k. Yeah, that makes absolutely perfect sense. I am a total cop out.

Done ranting now.
I kinda liked the sand in the truck tire method....at least you can use the tire for a chair and make the living room a beach when finished.. lol

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I kinda liked the sand in the truck tire method....at least you can use the tire for a chair and make the living room a beach when finished.. lol
It was a tire tube, taped up at both ends!
I live in a small oil town with one good gym,
And yes I have driven 45min, to get my a$$ to a gym, in my lil vw beetle, on the highway , with high winds and poor road conditions.. I work 7pm-7am... So unfortunately I don't feel sorry for the OP.... Determination is key......

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
It was a tire tube, taped up at both ends!
I live in a small oil town with one good gym,
And yes I have driven 45min, to get my a$$ to a gym, in my lil vw beetle, on the highway , with high winds and poor road conditions.. I work 7pm-7am... So unfortunately I don't feel sorry for the OP.... Determination is key......
Have I asked anyone to feel sorry for me? I stated that a squat bench purchase is not viable, plain and simple, and then I get called out for "not wanting it". And driving 50 minutes, paying an extra $200 a month in order to be able to squat 1 or 2 times a week when I have a perfectly good gym, which only downfall is not having a squat rack, 1 minute from where I live,is just not going to happen.

The only thing I did ask for was
"What is the best angle for a hack squat machine". If it was up to no Gym at all unless I went to one 50 minutes away from my place, I would most likely consider alternatives. When it comes down to 50 minutes for one exercise which I will do once every 2 weeks (Doggcrap workout, meaning it is only one of my series) I will adapt to a machine squat.

Which brings us back to "where should I place my feet in order to perform the best possible lift on a machine" seeing as that is the option on the table.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Can't seem to find another post of yours?
I also answered your question.

To repeat, whatever gives you maximal ROM without discomfort with the knees.

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
Plenty of pro bodybuilders have used smith machines...good enough for them, good enough for you... change up your foot positions to isolate different parts of the quads, just experiment and see how it feels.