shoulder pain wtf?

P

powerking699

Awards
What's up y'all...have any of you had shoulder pain when BB bench press but not during db bench presss? What am I doing wrong ??? It just started as I'm getting stronger

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not real surprising. The DB's probably allow a bit more individual shoulder mobility and movement thru the ROM path, while the full bar is more dictating and limiting with rotation etc.

Might help too, to try some mobility work, L-flyes for the small cuff & external rotation muscles, band tractioning and some stretching along with doing the trigger points in the pecs, tris, bis, back, neck some!?

P

powerking699

Awards
Thanks foe the reply man...only.my left shoulder hurts ...machine flys hurt the most ...i took a month off bench press and have been doing a lot of rotator warm up before training but tried to press yesterday and same thing so I grabbed 75lb db and had no problem

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As a dude that has recently come back from shoulder surgery I would definitely advise doing some band work, and isolation exercises for the shoulder as Paul listed above. I wish I had been doing those before the injury as I can really tell a difference now.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Generally speaking, most shoulder injuries due to increased strength comes from an imbalanced shoulder development.

Implement a 10 minute warmup session for shoulders and be sure to incorporate heavy rear delt work in ur routine. Also focus on hitting the stabilizer muscles as much as possible.

The rotator cuff has lots of various muscles in there that need to be trained as well.

P

powerking699

Awards
Awesome to see.more people chiming in I appreciate that guys...like I said I have been doing a lot more band stretching and rotator warm ups with bands since this happen and it seems to help some ...what exact movements should I do ?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While doing certain mobility and RC strengthening movements are a fantastic idea, the problem will continue to manifest unless the OP adjusts his bench technique. I'm going to guess his elbows are wide and not enough scapula retraction to stabilize the humerus and the surrounding musculature and connective tissue.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While doing certain mobility and RC strengthening movements are a fantastic idea, the problem will continue to manifest unless the OP adjusts his bench technique. I'm going to guess his elbows are wide and not enough scapula retraction to stabilize the humerus and the surrounding musculature and connective tissue.
Thats a fine point to make. Come to think of it, my shoulder pains didnt subside until I made those exact adjustments, particularly the scapular retraction.

OP, come in with the grip alittle bit, pinch the scapula like ur trying to hold something in between the shoulder blades and arch the back just alittle. I dont personally aim for excessive arching but a little seems to help keep my shoulders on the bench.

That sound right, Rodja?

Touey

Touey

Awards
go to the physical therapist learn the strengthen exercise "for you" it is such the individual thing and everyone is different the shoulder it is an very delicate area this is not throw the darts at the chart to hope one may stick and may make worse nothing substitute for personal examine for what you need

P

powerking699

Awards
What is the best way to post a video ?? I will do that ASAP and let the critics finally begin ..long overdue

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you have a youtube or anything? that's how I like to post videos.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats a fine point to make. Come to think of it, my shoulder pains didnt subside until I made those exact adjustments, particularly the scapular retraction. OP, come in with the grip alittle bit, pinch the scapula like ur trying to hold something in between the shoulder blades and arch the back just alittle. I dont personally aim for excessive arching but a little seems to help keep my shoulders on the bench. That sound right, Rodja?
Depending on where his grip is, bringing it in may make it worse on the biceps tendon. I personally think you should get as much of an arch as possible as it is one of the best ways to protect the shoulders and increase the amount of weight you can press as well.

A

AnthroLats

Awards
For what its worth, I've had to stop doing any barbell bench exercise for the past year due to a nagging shoulder pain.

At the same time, doing dumbbells is not a problem at all. I've been breaking PRs left and right on dumbbells (Runnin out of weights too) but I can't bench 135 without my shoulder hurting.

I should mention that the shoulder pain is the result of an injury, not just random pain.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Try closegriping! If that makes it hurt worse than you have some inflammation of your long head bicipital tendon. RICE would treat this injury. And avoid overhead work for a while!!

K

kck

Awards
Awesome information on this thread. I have had similar issues in the past and it's rearing it's ugly head again.

I'm taking a few weeks off for this reason and hoping to see a doctor this week or next.

My question: When do you know you've done serious damage? I feel numbness and tingling in my arm sometimes. I can also feel dull pain in bicep and traps.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've read flat barbell benching is just not a natural movement. Using dumbbells is much more natural, and a better exercise. Nothing wrong with using dumbbells.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've read flat barbell benching is just not a natural movement. Using dumbbells is much more natural, and a better exercise. Nothing wrong with using dumbbells.
This. I have eliminated shoulder stress from benching by switching to dumbbells, with good form you really activate chest muscle better this way anyways I find, I have improved since switching.

And if you're really ripping chest you can superset with fly's with no rest between :p

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried bench pressing at a 30 degree incline? That's helped me a lot. Also, I do not allow my elbows to move lower than my chest; this was suggested by my physical therapist I had. I have long forearms, which makes lowering the bar difficult. I probably look like I'm doing partial reps when I bench, but if I bring my elbows any lower than my chest I feel like I'll tear my pec again. I do not flare my elbows out.