Better Traps

flamini

flamini

Awards
I need better traps anyone have any suggestions , I can't lift shoulders due to an injury and can only do moderate weight on shrug variations , I feel like traps are like calves in a sense can I hit them more often ?

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ever try 6 ways? Or horizontal shoulder presses?
Those are money.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rack pulls, shrugs (lolz) , any dead lift and all the rowing you do for back usually hits traps as well

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
2 that have already been mentioned, snatch grip deads and facepulls. another awesome 1, farmers.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried different variations of shrugs? Or different tempo?

Using a little less weight but holding the shrug for a three count at contraction makes using heavier weights unnecessary. Shrugging 150's for twenty with a slight pause doesn't even hold a candle to shrugging 90's for twelve with a three second contraction.

My new favorite is using db's and holding them behind my back instead of at my sides. Ohhhhh boy. Talk about squeeze.

anonymous_bur

anonymous_bur

Awards
besides what's already been said, more explosive lifts like cleans, high pulls, etc blow up your traps.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel like traps are like calves in a sense can I hit them more often ?
Traps can be trained with a very short movement ie: a shrug and or statically, like a DL.
The thing to remember that is most important IMO, (just like any other muscle) is that the more focus or effort you give it, the more it will most likely respond and or grow.
Traps are one of those groups, that get hit at the end of a W/O after one is kinda burnt upp from the session and they just mail in a few half arsed sets. If one puts in the effort on the stuff mentioned, they should respond.
Some guys have luck with higher reps 20-30+ and I know guys who do power shrugs with very low reps ie; 3-5. They all seem to work, depending on focus and determination, which will be key.
Since say a shrug is a very short ROM move, it seems it can be trained 2-3 times per week too.

overworked

Awards
I do super shrugs. 5 reps of Deadlift 60-70% of 1rm and shrug 5 reps each lift. 3-4 sets. I do this after my back workout before i start shoulders. It works well for me.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
Heavy ass deadlifts. Powershrugs (use more weight than your max deadlift and straps). Farmers walks with heavy ass dumbbells. Really heavy rack pulls. I sense a theme here...

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Barbell shrugs in the front and behind the back.. Get on a cable machine meant for shoulders, stand up and do drop set shrugs untill you do the entire stack... Press a barbell above your head like a shoulder press once you are at the top hold it and shrug until you are exhausted... also upright rows

All of these are some of favorite trap exercises.

flamini

flamini

Awards
Thanks everyone ! I'm going to give all these alternative techniques a try !

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Suitcase rows burn out my traps at the end of a back day like crazy.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carries/walks
Deads
Reeves variation DL
Cage presses

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
http://youtu.be/cM9dNHVco8o

Sorry for the intro. These hit the middle traps real nice he has some other nice variations in his other videos.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
Behind / front barbell shrugs. Frying the traps with farmer walks sit them up too. The 3 that have worked for me.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
For everyone that put behind the back shrugs? Wtf? Seriously. How do you even think that a movement that is not natural and trying to work a muscle not going with its grain of movement is effective.

The traps don't just pull the shoulders up, they also hold the shoulder blades in places and can squeeze them together.

IMO, shrugs are the smith machine of trap exercises. Drop them for more efficient ones. Farmers, frame carries are even better. Snatch grip deeds especially from blocks. High pulls. Muscle hang power snatch. Face pulls. All far superior to shrug.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For everyone that put behind the back shrugs? Wtf? Seriously. How do you even think that a movement that is not natural and trying to work a muscle not going with its grain of movement is effective.

The traps don't just pull the shoulders up, they also hold the shoulder blades in places and can squeeze them together.

IMO, shrugs are the smith machine of trap exercises. Drop them for more efficient ones. Farmers, frame carries are even better. Snatch grip deeds especially from blocks. High pulls. Muscle hang power snatch. Face pulls. All far superior to shrug.
And most type of overhand grip rows have decent trap activation as well.