Best ab workouts?

  1. Best ab workouts?


    I've been getting back in the gym lately, but have been doing the same ab routines for years.. Basic crunches, weighted vertical crunches, leg raises, and isolate obliques... But I wanna mix it up with newer exercises and ideas. Can anyone help me? All ideas and styles welcome. Also id like a little more help on my lower abs, the infamously hard to get bastards.


  2. How 'bout trying
    Planks
    Ab roll outs
    Hanging from chin bar/ knees to chest and side to side moves

  3. Hanging Toe to Bar Raises.

    Hang from a chin up bar, and without swinging or using momentum bring your toes up to the bar and try to touch your fingers, all while keeping your legs straight.
    •   
       


  4. weighted planks
    Current Log-Olympus labs Stenadrol- http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/247378-olympus-labs-stenadrol.html#post4430422

  5. Hanging knee raises are great if you have proper form minus the swinging.

    I feel side bends,cable crunches,wood chops and ab wheel combined in one routine is where the magic happens. Atleast for me.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/

  6. Alright guys thanks for the info, I'll look into all these tonight at the gym. Anymore info or opinions are welcome

  7. there are also fork putdowns and table pushaways, yoke walks, farmers, nearly anything overhead, squats, deadlifts, etc.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

  8. Definitely Ab wheel
    Turkish get-ups are apparently brutal and put a lot of stress on your entire core
    Weighted side bends. Just hold a heavy dumbbell or plate (although if you're into a V-taper look, this really builds up obliques and makes you look wider)
    Of course, good old deadlift

  9. Quote Originally Posted by DevonG View Post
    Definitely Ab wheel Turkish get-ups are apparently brutal and put a lot of stress on your entire core Weighted side bends. Just hold a heavy dumbbell or plate (although if you're into a V-taper look, this really builds up obliques and makes you look wider) Of course, good old deadlift
    so weighted side bends are good for v cut?

  10. Best ab exercises are heavy compound movements like deadlifts, squats, barbell bent over rows, OHP's etc

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Best ab exercises are heavy compound movements like deadlifts, squats, barbell bent over rows, OHP's etc
    so basically not isolated exercises like crunches and 6ins

  12. Ab rollouts on knees in multiple directions ie left angled, straight out and right angled. As you improve then move to from the standing position.

  13. Your abs are a muscle group, treat them as such. If you train them for strength you'll see results. Do leg raises on a captains chair with your legs out straight, and when you legs are at their highest point try to lift your hips off of the back pad. It's a lot harder than it sounds. If you can do 10 with prefect form then you don't need ab exercises, you need a leaner diet.
    Strong Supplement Shop
    - Board Rep -
    Check out our deals at strongsupplementshop.com

  14. Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    How 'bout trying
    Planks
    Ab roll outs
    Hanging from chin bar/ knees to chest and side to side moves
    X2 planks are the best. If they are too easy put your feet on an inflatable fitness ball and do side planks. If that is too easy do the same but raise one leg as high as you can.

  15. I'm gonna second the compound movements. Squats and deads man!! I rarely train abs directly, but if you feel the need, planks and L-sits

  16. Get a steady girl. Problem solved.


    Also deadlift more.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  17. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Get a steady girl. Problem solved.

    Also deadlift more.
    My wife loves me at 20% bodyfat
    Luckiest guy in the world
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/

  18. Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

    My wife loves me at 20% bodyfat
    Luckiest guy in the world
    Haha I bet!

    Body fat has no bearing on size or quality of the muscle underneath we're talking about abs here not how well you can see them right? Haha.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  19. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post

    Haha I bet!

    Body fat has no bearing on size or quality of the muscle underneath we're talking about abs here not how well you can see them right? Haha.
    Buhaha. You can see my top 2 at 20%.

    I was just stating a fact.


    I already made suggestions lol
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/

  20. Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
    Buhaha. You can see my top 2 at 20%.

    I was just stating a fact.


    I already made suggestions lol
    I know I got ya man, no doubt. I was just point out people always ask about working their abs but people rarely treat them as what they are, a muscle. Most people care about how big they LOOK not how big/strong they really are.

    I've never been up to 20, but at around 14 I can see 4-6.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  21. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post

    I know I got ya man, no doubt. I was just point out people always ask about working their abs but people rarely treat them as what they are, a muscle. Most people care about how big they LOOK not how big/strong they really are.

    I've never been up to 20, but at around 14 I can see 4-6.
    I have been from 27% to 6 % hoping to get from 16 to 5% this 24 week cut with anabolic help.

    I can say I have good abs. My obliques are lacking however I brought them up big time. I credit my development to side bends,cable crunches and weighted leg lifts.

    I can say most peoole dont think about lats when they think of abs. I believe scooby off of youtube and others have mentioned how getting big lats means better abs via skin tightness.*may be bro science*

    I also credit my abs to my lat training.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/

  22. I would say overall having a big back/strong core all kind of goes together. More muscle through skin tightness definitely would help make them look bigger. Big serratus muscles along with obliques and abdominals all together make for a more impressive looking stomach if you are into that thing.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  23. Front squats
    Back squats
    Deadlifts
    Physio ball planks
    Toes to bar
    More balanced macronutrient intake

  24. ab wheel
    cable crunches
    decline crunches (weighted)
    windshield wipers
    barbell lunges (yeah)
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best ab workouts
    By Dark horse in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM
  2. BEST pre-workout supp EVER!
    By canadian champ in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
  3. best pre-workout stack?
    By pb2xtreme1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
  4. BEST POST WORKOUT SHAKE
    By PH3 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
  5. Best Pre-workout energy supp?
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Log in
Log in