Best ab workouts?

dustyboi808

dustyboi808

Awards
I've been getting back in the gym lately, but have been doing the same ab routines for years.. Basic crunches, weighted vertical crunches, leg raises, and isolate obliques... But I wanna mix it up with newer exercises and ideas. Can anyone help me? All ideas and styles welcome. Also id like a little more help on my lower abs, the infamously hard to get bastards.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How 'bout trying
Planks
Ab roll outs
Hanging from chin bar/ knees to chest and side to side moves

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hanging Toe to Bar Raises.

Hang from a chin up bar, and without swinging or using momentum bring your toes up to the bar and try to touch your fingers, all while keeping your legs straight.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
weighted planks

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hanging knee raises are great if you have proper form minus the swinging.

I feel side bends,cable crunches,wood chops and ab wheel combined in one routine is where the magic happens. Atleast for me.

dustyboi808

dustyboi808

Awards
Alright guys thanks for the info, I'll look into all these tonight at the gym. Anymore info or opinions are welcome

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
there are also fork putdowns and table pushaways, yoke walks, farmers, nearly anything overhead, squats, deadlifts, etc.

DevonG

DevonG

Awards
Definitely Ab wheel
Turkish get-ups are apparently brutal and put a lot of stress on your entire core
Weighted side bends. Just hold a heavy dumbbell or plate (although if you're into a V-taper look, this really builds up obliques and makes you look wider)
Of course, good old deadlift :)

dustyboi808

dustyboi808

Awards
Definitely Ab wheel Turkish get-ups are apparently brutal and put a lot of stress on your entire core Weighted side bends. Just hold a heavy dumbbell or plate (although if you're into a V-taper look, this really builds up obliques and makes you look wider) Of course, good old deadlift :)
so weighted side bends are good for v cut?

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Best ab exercises are heavy compound movements like deadlifts, squats, barbell bent over rows, OHP's etc

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ab rollouts on knees in multiple directions ie left angled, straight out and right angled. As you improve then move to from the standing position.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your abs are a muscle group, treat them as such. If you train them for strength you'll see results. Do leg raises on a captains chair with your legs out straight, and when you legs are at their highest point try to lift your hips off of the back pad. It's a lot harder than it sounds. If you can do 10 with prefect form then you don't need ab exercises, you need a leaner diet.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
How 'bout trying
Planks
Ab roll outs
Hanging from chin bar/ knees to chest and side to side moves
X2 planks are the best. If they are too easy put your feet on an inflatable fitness ball and do side planks. If that is too easy do the same but raise one leg as high as you can.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'm gonna second the compound movements. Squats and deads man!! I rarely train abs directly, but if you feel the need, planks and L-sits

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get a steady girl. Problem solved.

Also deadlift more.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My wife loves me at 20% bodyfat :)
Luckiest guy in the world :)
Haha I bet!

Body fat has no bearing on size or quality of the muscle underneath ;) we're talking about abs here not how well you can see them right? Haha.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha I bet!

Body fat has no bearing on size or quality of the muscle underneath ;) we're talking about abs here not how well you can see them right? Haha.
Buhaha. You can see my top 2 at 20%.

I was just stating a fact.

I already made suggestions lol

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Buhaha. You can see my top 2 at 20%.

I was just stating a fact.

I already made suggestions lol
I know I got ya man, no doubt. I was just point out people always ask about working their abs but people rarely treat them as what they are, a muscle. Most people care about how big they LOOK not how big/strong they really are.

I've never been up to 20, but at around 14 I can see 4-6.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know I got ya man, no doubt. I was just point out people always ask about working their abs but people rarely treat them as what they are, a muscle. Most people care about how big they LOOK not how big/strong they really are.

I've never been up to 20, but at around 14 I can see 4-6.
I have been from 27% to 6 % hoping to get from 16 to 5% this 24 week cut with anabolic help.

I can say I have good abs. My obliques are lacking however I brought them up big time. I credit my development to side bends,cable crunches and weighted leg lifts.

I can say most peoole dont think about lats when they think of abs. I believe scooby off of youtube and others have mentioned how getting big lats means better abs via skin tightness.*may be bro science*

I also credit my abs to my lat training.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say overall having a big back/strong core all kind of goes together. More muscle through skin tightness definitely would help make them look bigger. Big serratus muscles along with obliques and abdominals all together make for a more impressive looking stomach if you are into that thing.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Front squats
Back squats
Deadlifts
Physio ball planks
Toes to bar
More balanced macronutrient intake

Nick527