uneven pecs to the max

gokusaying4

Awards
so my left pec is well-rounded where as my right pec is flat. i bench 225 and i have gained 30lbs over the year but left side of chest is still noticeably bigger... especially the upper pec. I am not sure if it is because my right front delt is a bigger than left...so it takes stress off my right pec.

anyway i can fix this? my upper right pec is like non existent

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stop doing barbell bench press as you are more than likely under-recruitting the pectoral muscle in question due to over-recruiting your triceps on that same side.

gokusaying4

Awards
would it be good to do some 1 armed isolated exercsies after bench/chest press? such as 1 arm cable flyes or 1 arm cable press

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dumbbell presses should help you even out.

gokusaying4

Awards
problem is, its equal in strength...like i can push same weight no problem.

but i think its my right front delt thats overpowering my right pec lol

gokusaying4

Awards
i might drop the weight or switch to dumbell (with lower weight) for better form. if i continue with lower weight will i gain muscle still?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stop doing barbell bench press as you are more than likely under-recruitting the pectoral muscle in question due to over-recruiting your triceps on that same side.
Very nice information. I've always liked dumbbells better anyway. Then you get the scumbag who asks how much you bench lol

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
i can see where you are going with this, but wouldn't you be able to tell more about uneven work loads and imbalances using a barbell as opposed to dumb bells? Ex: if one side is stronger or weaker, wouldn't you think your press would be crooked?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i can see where you are going with this, but wouldn't you be able to tell more about uneven work loads and imbalances using a barbell as opposed to dumb bells? Ex: if one side is stronger or weaker, wouldn't you think your press would be crooked?
Barbells provide unequal compensation, in other words: a stronger side can compensate for a weaker side. Dumbbells require almost unilateral like muscle recruitment so one side can't compensate for the other. Using Dumbbells he should be able to fix his imbalance. That's how I fixed my arm imbalance from holding my 1 year old son all the time. My right arm was smaller compared to my left from all the endurance work it was doing holding him constantly. So I really focused on carrying him with my left side, but using dumbbells helped me correct the size and strength difference vs. using barbells. And there was certainly a difference when I switched.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents:
I think the first reaction would be, to just think it might be a, "train this more, or this less", situation, because of say size comparison, but have you got any pics?
Not to go into too much detail but, if it is a situation where you may have more than one muscle group or upper shoulder/back/chest imbalance, it might be a combination of some exercises (rehab types and stretching) to counter or balance up the sides. So without an actual evaluation of the cause in the first place, it might be hard to say exactly how to proceed with the best, fastest and most reliable approach to aid the differences. ie: The upper back, also involves postural muscles etc. so to draw conclusions and thus exercises from just a one or so muscle size standpoint, might be premature IMO.