Help!

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.17%

Help!

Right here's the lowdown. I'm a 31 yo firefighter 5'10 180lbs 18 BF. At the minute I do a split routine 5 days a week and finish with 20-30 mins HIIT. But I want to be BIGGER! Should I start 5x5? If I do that programme should I also do some separate ISO exercises? And cut down the cardio?? All suggestions welcome

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

5x5 sounds good. But all in all it's about eating more man. Cardio is fine as long as your eating enough calories to compensate for the loss.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.17%

I'm guessing most if my calories should be protein and good carbs ie rice oatmeal??
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%

That entirely depends on your goals, but in general it's about moderation, some lasagna here or some ice cream there definitely won't ruin anything, especially if your trying To gain. Protein intake should be monitored though, in your situation I'd aim for at least 200 grams a day.

If your trying to get into bodybuilding or fitness modeling or something, then you'd probably need to get a bit more neurotic about it. But just watch yourself, if your gaining too much fat or your health is declining in any way, then clean up and reduce the calories a bit and up the cardio. Find a good balance and focus on training heavy.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.17%

Brilliant dude cheers. Should I try to get the BF down first to keep my body more anobolic first or just hope that comes with the extra work?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%

Hard to say really. That's more of a personal preference, I pretty much stay between 13-17% bodyfat all the time, but it's not my goal to be crazy lean. When I start looking a bit out of shape I just cut back on calories for a few weeks and throw some conditioning in. You could just try eating at maintenance and working hard on Bill Starr's 5x5. Should be able to make progress that way, but it's hard to say exactly how you'll react. 18% isn't lean but I wouldn't say it's terrible, If I was in your shoes I would focus on eatin at maintenance and getting stronger every week. I wouldn't over complicate it too much. Just train hard and eat some quality food.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%

Quote Originally Posted by gordi4738 View Post
    At the minute I do a split routine 5 days a week
    What does this look like exactly?
    I mean, the real concentration (if one is to get as big and strong as humanly possible) is to put great focus, determination and effort, on the big body muscle groups and the 5-7 big compound exercises, adding weight when possible and as PH says, to eat enough to elicit the growth of those large muscle structures and systemic demands.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%

There ya go gordi ^

I gave you some basics, but if you really wanna learn a thing or two, take notes from Mr. PaulBlack.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.17%

Hey Paul black, Roughly my split is chest/tri. Back. Shoulders. Bis then legs. Also doing at least 4 HIIT sessions a week. I'm not trying to get as big ass humanly possible but want to add some good quality mass. I'll take in board all your suggestions go hard and increase good food for 12 weeks and report back. Really appreciate it guys.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%

I would definitely do the 5x5 like you were saying. Sounds like a better fit for you right now.

Hope it works out for you!
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%

Quote Originally Posted by gordi4738 View Post
    Hey Paul black, Roughly my split is chest/tri. Back. Shoulders. Bis then legs. Also doing at least 4 HIIT sessions a week. I'm not trying to get as big ass humanly possible but want to add some good quality mass. I'll take in board all your suggestions go hard and increase good food for 12 weeks and report back. Really appreciate it guys.
    I will just throw out a few things from my experiences over the 25 or so years and you can pick and choose...

Training the largest body structures with compounds will elicit the most overall growth of the entire system, as it has to do with the support of the entire skeleton if you are lifting say loads in the BW, 1x, 2x as much.
    example: Growing the lats or hamstrings and all the muscles in between that support them, will put forth more growth factors in your system, than say doing a killer arm workout, but only attacking 20% of the body's mass.

Compound work ties the body together and is usually associated with weight bearing on the spine and all structural support of the said muscles.

I one time years ago found nearly all my exercises I was doing, I was either laying or sitting. Nothing really wrong with that maybe, but I seem more fit now and the majority of my work, is done standing or loading the torso/spine some.

Remember too, slimming (if you are after a certain look) can make a body appear larger, even though it may in fact be smaller, because you are now adding more symmetry and or cuts if you will. A heavy uncut 18" arm will actually appear smaller than a ripped 16". Just sayin' so depending on your goals!?

I am also of the school, that one can train the body (and the big exercises) 2 plus times per week. ie: Squatting switched up with deads say, then say rowing or heavy back work in there, OHP's and BP's can be hit as much as 3x per week for periods then hit your arms and abs at the end of the sessions.

Eat clean too not just any empty calories (3 sprigs of broccoli, chicken breast, and brown rice or yams) are going to be healthier, than hitting the drive thru at Burger Castle just to get in cals. But I am sure you know that stuff. Keep that for the weekends and or treats instead of staples.

You do not have to focus on strength really or single maxes, but working to add weight to the big moves, keeps the body growing over time and it can be mid range to lower reps (most averages focus on them like Prilipin's say) and try to get in multiple sets of say 75%-80% or your RM areas.
    Adding thickness the the chest and upper back, will have your arms growing some to keep up and you do not have to do 30-45 mins of just iso arm work. (I know I used to do that and it made very little difference actually.) My arms are as big or bigger now, focusing on heavy back and chest (BP/dips) over the years.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.17%

Mr Paul Black......I'm on it! Thanks dude.

Big exercises big weights and don't be scared to work them hard/often and increase.
    Eat big and clean and throw in some ISOs for extra work??
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.88%

Minimal if any ISO work. But I would jump on madcow or bill starr jut like you said. Do one of those programs exactly as written.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%

Yeah 5x5's 3x times per can certainly work
    Or even a 4 day split can work well...

Upper: Chest/shoulders/Triceps/Abs/arms

Lower: Legs/Squats/Assistance/Rows or Chins/grip/forearm

Off day:

Upper: Shoulders/Chest/abs/arms

Lower: Legs/(low back hams) Deads /assistance/Pull dwns or Horz pull/grip/foreman

2 off days:

I have always put lat work (upper pulling/back) in with my squats or deads. You can sort it out lots of ways and split up lots of ways.
    I just think the real aim, is to keep the big compound work up front and the big focus , then work towards the smaller groups like arms and iso work like abs, grip or forearms etc. etc. etc.
    This way you are hitting the body pretty well 2x per with long enough recovery time for the average person and big exercises.

Similar Forum Threads

1. maybe this will help BDC, creatine info.
    By ralph4u2c in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
  2. Need Help: I got Sore Nipples!
    By Big Masa in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 01:31 AM
  3. Help Asap
    By shanesurfs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2002, 06:31 PM
  4. Need some help with tight hamstrings