Is bodybuilding fit?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.97%

Is bodybuilding fit?

Everyone assumes he can run a marathon so he is fit?

What about those training for strength or bodybuilding naturally?

Are they fit or un-fit?

Share your opinions

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Fit is kind of a relative term. Like "strong". You can be strong doing a 1RM or strong doing 100 reps or say a farmers walk.
    If you compare BBing fitness to say a spin class fitness, you have a little different outcomes, as one leans more towards a cardio respiratory or aerobic (using oxygen) and the other more anaerobic or tissue building.
    I think maybe Louie/WSB was one of the reasons we started to coin the term GPP or general physical preparedness and or work capacity or being able to go for a while before getting gassed out.
    I think too, most BB'ers/lifters might be more fit than say a couch potato, but not as overall fit as say, a pro football running back.
    Maybe a good comparison is how WSM guys might be more fit than say some PL'ers. Since their sport (WSM) involves strength, but also using some cardio and longer stretches of intensive work too.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

first defining fit is important. this is the dictionary definition:
    adjective
    adjective: fit; comparative adjective: fitter; superlative adjective: fittest

(of a thing) of a suitable quality, standard, or type to meet the required purpose.
    "the meat is fit for human consumption"
    synonyms: suitable, good enough; More
    relevant, pertinent, apt, appropriate, suited, apposite, fitting;
    archaicmeet
    "fit for human habitation"

in good health, esp. because of regular physical exercise.
    "I swim regularly to keep fit"
    synonyms: healthy, well, in good health, in (good) shape, in (good) trim, in good condition, fighting fit, as fit as a fiddle; More
    athletic, muscular, well-built, strong, robust, hale and hearty, in the pink

bodybuilding in its early understanding of the definition of the word, yes. they are fit. but then it literally meant, to build the body. nowadays bodybuilders will use any drug, any exercise, any food, any supplement, anything to look a certain way irrelevant of health, or fitness. its all a beauty pageant and health and fitness be damned. that is why they only maintain this for a short period of time. they cant and be healthy or fit.

this includes any sport as well. fit is relative. those that do GPP are likely more fit. those that crosstrain are likely more fit. to me fit is an overall betterment of the body. so unfortunately, at least by written decree, crossfit tries to make you more fit. now in practice they fail miserably but that is a discussion for another time.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.3%

more fit than aproximately 66% of this obese country
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    bodybuilding in its early understanding of the definition of the word, yes. they are fit. but then it literally meant, to build the body. nowadays bodybuilders will use any drug, any exercise, any food, any supplement, anything to look a certain way irrelevant of health, or fitness. its all a beauty pageant and health and fitness be damned. that is why they only maintain this for a short period of time. they cant and be healthy or fit.
    Right, good post
    In fact I think early BB contests out in SoCal had guys actually performing feats as well as posing.

I must admit however, I do not do this for specific health reasons or to be fit per se. That might be a byproduct, but the way I eat at times and push myself, is not exactly what I might call "healthy" or searching out longevity. You (meaning some of us) just wanna push far enough, then be able to parachute out, before it gets too hairy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Controlled Labs Ultimate Bodybuilding/Fitness Dictionary
    By pu12en12g in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
  2. AMAZING program for bodybuilders/fitness enthuasiasts
    By The Doberman in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. for overall health and fitness, is it bad to do cardio after lifting?
    By Grifty McGrift in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
  4. IGF-1 is being used by bodybuilders on TV
    By x_muscle in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:36 AM
  5. What got you into fitness/bodybuilding??
    By Blazer88 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 05:53 PM