Is bodybuilding fit?

Hondaman722

Awards
Everyone assumes he can run a marathon so he is fit?

What about those training for strength or bodybuilding naturally?

Are they fit or un-fit?

Share your opinions

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Fit is kind of a relative term. Like "strong". You can be strong doing a 1RM or strong doing 100 reps or say a farmers walk.
If you compare BBing fitness to say a spin class fitness, you have a little different outcomes, as one leans more towards a cardio respiratory or aerobic (using oxygen) and the other more anaerobic or tissue building.
I think maybe Louie/WSB was one of the reasons we started to coin the term GPP or general physical preparedness and or work capacity or being able to go for a while before getting gassed out.
I think too, most BB'ers/lifters might be more fit than say a couch potato, but not as overall fit as say, a pro football running back.
Maybe a good comparison is how WSM guys might be more fit than say some PL'ers. Since their sport (WSM) involves strength, but also using some cardio and longer stretches of intensive work too.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
first defining fit is important. this is the dictionary definition:
adjective
adjective: fit; comparative adjective: fitter; superlative adjective: fittest

(of a thing) of a suitable quality, standard, or type to meet the required purpose.
"the meat is fit for human consumption"
synonyms: suitable, good enough; More
relevant, pertinent, apt, appropriate, suited, apposite, fitting;
archaicmeet
"fit for human habitation"

in good health, esp. because of regular physical exercise.
"I swim regularly to keep fit"
synonyms: healthy, well, in good health, in (good) shape, in (good) trim, in good condition, fighting fit, as fit as a fiddle; More
athletic, muscular, well-built, strong, robust, hale and hearty, in the pink

bodybuilding in its early understanding of the definition of the word, yes. they are fit. but then it literally meant, to build the body. nowadays bodybuilders will use any drug, any exercise, any food, any supplement, anything to look a certain way irrelevant of health, or fitness. its all a beauty pageant and health and fitness be damned. that is why they only maintain this for a short period of time. they cant and be healthy or fit.

this includes any sport as well. fit is relative. those that do GPP are likely more fit. those that crosstrain are likely more fit. to me fit is an overall betterment of the body. so unfortunately, at least by written decree, crossfit tries to make you more fit. now in practice they fail miserably but that is a discussion for another time.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
more fit than aproximately 66% of this obese country

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
bodybuilding in its early understanding of the definition of the word, yes. they are fit. but then it literally meant, to build the body. nowadays bodybuilders will use any drug, any exercise, any food, any supplement, anything to look a certain way irrelevant of health, or fitness. its all a beauty pageant and health and fitness be damned. that is why they only maintain this for a short period of time. they cant and be healthy or fit.
Right, good post
In fact I think early BB contests out in SoCal had guys actually performing feats as well as posing.

I must admit however, I do not do this for specific health reasons or to be fit per se. That might be a byproduct, but the way I eat at times and push myself, is not exactly what I might call "healthy" or searching out longevity. You (meaning some of us) just wanna push far enough, then be able to parachute out, before it gets too hairy.