Low Intensity Cardio: Effective?

foreverdown92

Awards
I am ending a cycle in which I used M14ADD for 4 weeks and SD for only one week, along with 1-T the whole time. I am now on my first day of PCT with 40mg Nolva and Lean Extreme, and am wondering how effective is low cardio really... I mean, I just performed an hour session on the elliptical keeping my HR at ~70% of my max HR and I didn't really feel it like I thought I would.. The machine said that I burned ~850 calories.

I am also using VPX Clenbutrx and SAN Tight PreWkout. What are your opinions, should I keep up the cardio as planned, or switch to something else?? :think:

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
70% of MAXHR for 1 hour is not low-intensity cardio!

Yes, low-intensity cardio has its place.
What are your current goals?

foreverdown92

Awards
I am trying to lose a little BF. BTW, my Heart Rate was at like 145 the whole time, which isn't that high.

hornedfrogsAT

Awards
Lower intensity cardio actually burns a higher percentage of fat than higher intensity cardio....only thing is that you actually burn a lower overall amount of calories. You've just gotta decide what's best for you.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
The lower the intensity the more fat is being used as fuel in relation to carbs. Here's a fun fact for ya,

Whens the only time your body uses 100% fat for fuel? anybody.......

Answer: At rest

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to lose a little BF. BTW, my Heart Rate was at like 145 the whole time, which isn't that high.
Low intensity cardio is done at 60% to 65% intensity with at your age would put your THR between 118 and 128 BPM. You're training at 75%.

foreverdown92

Awards
My HR gets above that too easily. Would doing 1HR of cardio with keeping my HR at 140-150 be ok?

Mind you, I do this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
My HR gets above that too easily. Would doing 1HR of cardio with keeping my HR at 140-150 be ok?

Mind you, I do this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
It would help to know what type of equipment you use. I would say 140 should be the abselute max if you're trying to do low intensity. Any higher and you start to burn more glycogen witch doesn't aid fat loss. Any "glycogen" calories burned during the workout will just be replenished as soon as you eat.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure the ephedra is not helping the heartrate. If it gets above that too easily then drop the stims.

foreverdown92

Awards
It would help to know what type of equipment you use. I would say 140 should be the abselute max if you're trying to do low intensity. Any higher and you start to burn more glycogen witch doesn't aid fat loss. Any "glycogen" calories burned during the workout will just be replenished as soon as you eat.
the equipment being used is the elliptical machine. Should I use the treadmill instead?

About the ephedrine situation, how should I adjust my cardio to fit? Because I would still like to use it for it's fat burning effects.. I may cycle clen for 2-3 weeks with GXR and Lean Extreme as well.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
the equipment being used is the elliptical machine. Should I use the treadmill instead?

About the ephedrine situation, how should I adjust my cardio to fit? Because I would still like to use it for it's fat burning effects.. I may cycle clen for 2-3 weeks with GXR and Lean Extreme as well.
You just gotta slow down.Set the elliptical at a lower level. Treadmill is one of the best ways when perfomed correctly. Set the speed at 2mph and incline on max. Start there. Walk with your hands at your sides holding on to nothing. Check HR periodicly. If needed increase the speed.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
If it were me id wait till pct is done for fear of loosing new mass gains.

But if your at 65%mx hrt rate you shouldnt see a problem

expect to drop about 2-3 pounds of fat per week if your loosing more then back it down some because more likely then not your burning mass as well.

this of course if your not on clen or trimax.

foreverdown92

Awards
I was thinking of cycling Clen, to help with Fat burning and muscle mass retention.
About cardio, would it be ok to do 1 hour first thing in the morning keeping my HR at about 140-145, then lift in the afternoon?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The lower the intensity the more fat is being used as fuel in relation to carbs. Here's a fun fact for ya,

Whens the only time your body uses 100% fat for fuel? anybody.......

Answer: At rest

Thats not true dude. Although diet plays a role, it is usually closer to 60/40 at rest. I do RER tests in the lab at my university. Remember: all energy systems are working all the time.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of cycling Clen, to help with Fat burning and muscle mass retention.
About cardio, would it be ok to do 1 hour first thing in the morning keeping my HR at about 140-145, then lift in the afternoon?
Doesn't matter as long as you do it.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Thats not true dude. Although diet plays a role, it is usually closer to 60/40 at rest. I do RER tests in the lab at my university. Remember: all energy systems are working all the time.
At complete rest RER of 0.71 100% of calories are derived from fats and CHO. With 0% from Carbs. :thumbsup:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I have never been able to do low intensity Cardio on a machine, it drives me nuts with boredom. The solution to boredom is music, and then I start flying to the beat and forget low intensity.

My solution is to do high intensity incline stepper at the gym for the cardio and nuerochemical benefits and take 45 to 75 minute walk/hikes in the woods almost every day for the slow fat burn effect.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
At complete rest RER of 0.71 100% of calories are derived from fats and CHO. With 0% from Carbs. :thumbsup:
Yes an RER of .71 is 100% fats, but have you ever seen that? Just because the scale starts at .71, doesn't mean that your resting RER automatically starts there. As I've said above, at rest it is generally 60/40 or 65/35. I'm sure you realize that diet and environmental conditions play a HUGE ROLE.

Read the second line.

Modulation of carbohydrate and fat utilization by diet, exercise and environment
A.E. Jeukendrup1

Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, U.K.
Key words: carbohydrate, diet, exercise, fat, metabolism, substrate utilization.

1e-mail [email protected]

Abstract

At rest and during exercise carbohydrate and fat are the predominant substrates. They are oxidized simultaneously but the relative contribution of these two substrates is dependent on a variety of factors including the exercise intensity and duration, diet, environmental conditions and training status. Changes in carbohydrate metabolism during the transition from rest to exercise and from low- to high-intensity exercise are mainly due to allosteric regulation. The factors that up-regulate fat metabolism in the transition to moderate-intensity exercise and the factors that result in a down-regulation of fat metabolism at higher intensities are incompletely understood. Substrate use is further modulated by the endocrine milieu (e.g. catecholamines, insulin, cortisol) and possibly cytokines (e.g. interleukin-6). With increasing duration of exercise there are marked increases in fat metabolism and decreases in carbohydrate metabolism and this has been ascribed mainly to substrate availability. Both acute food intake and chronic diets also have profound effects on substrate utilization. An increase in carbohydrate intake will rapidly suppress fat metabolism and increase carbohydrate metabolism whereas such an adaptation to a high-fat diet may take several days. The environmental conditions can also alter substrate use; high ambient temperatures can increase glycogen breakdown as a result of increased body core temperature and increased circulation catecholamines. Low temperatures can also increase carbohydrate metabolism, especially when shivering. In addition to these factors adaptation to training, in particular endurance training, will reduce the reliance on carbohydrate metabolism and increase fat oxidation, especially from intramuscular triacylglycerol stores.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As I said, I've done a lot of resting metabolism tests (just had mine done), and I've never seen an RER of .71. I've seen .76 and .78, but never lower than this. Again, there are so many factors to take into consideration.

foreverdown92, sorry to jack your thread. I'll leave it alone now.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
As I said, I've done a lot of resting metabolism tests (just had mine done), and I've never seen an RER of .71. I've seen .76 and .78, but never lower than this. Again, there are so many factors to take into consideration.

foreverdown92, sorry to jack your thread. I'll leave it alone now.
I understand what your saying DieTrying and I'm fully aware that your body uses a combination of both when resting and when in exercise. I was just trying to emphasize the point that lower intensity cardio will burn more fat. I didn't feel like posting the entrie RER chart so I just threw that up there so foreverdown could see more fat will be used at a lower heart rate. I guess I should of made it more clear.

I love that if all the facts aren't brought out another member will pick up the slack. LOL My oh my do we have the smartest members around, Dietrying :thumbsup:

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I am going on the low intensity cardio kick myself. I started yesterday, for an hour. HR was around 130-140. 140 was only for a second, once i noticed i slowed down. Yesterday I took some clen when i woke up, got to the gym at about 6:00 pm (12 hrs later) and the precor said my hr was 127 already..

I'm thinking of dropping the stims as suggested above.

I was thinking of doing a fasted state jump roping routine in the morning, only for about 3-5 minutes monday - friday, and also do the low intensity for an hour Tues and thursday on my non-lifting days. thoughts?

h19