Doug Miller.. Massive PR on Deadlifts....

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
[video=youtube;T7ATmqbWFIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ATmqbWFIY[/video]
[youtube]T7ATmqbWFIY[/youtube]

This is just unreal....

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Love how he attacks the bar.

Good stuff.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If only he completed just one rep completely...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
With grip assistance, yes, but I don't pull with wrist straps.
Doug does not use a belt either which makes it damn impressive
Doug is a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, so if he uses straps or not does not make a difference, his main goal is not strength its how he looks on a stage.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
He doesn't lock out a single rep! I don't care if he uses straps, but lock out one freaking rep.
I am sure by him "not locking out a rep" it has really hurt his physique and how strong he truly is.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am sure by him "not locking out a rep" it has really hurt his physique and how strong he truly is.
Is red herring for dinner? If he's so strong, then why didn't he complete a single rep?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Is red herring for dinner? If he's so strong, then why didn't he complete a single rep?
Why dont you ask him
he has an email address and a website

again, if i could deadlift my entire life and never complete a rep yet become a pro. i would do the same.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why dont you ask him
he has an email address and a website

again, if i could deadlift my entire life and never complete a rep yet become a pro. i would do the same.
Posts video claiming impressive deadlift, then changes the topic once said lift is never completed.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Posts video claiming impressive deadlift, then changes the topic once said lift is never completed.
Lets see your 635 x 3 then.
Ill be waiting for your video upload

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lets see your 635 x 3 then.
Ill be waiting for your video upload
I'm still waiting to see the guy in the video do a 580 x 1.....

Why are you so offended by someone pointing out that those aren't full reps? Is that how you DL as well and thats why it's offensive?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What will that prove? It still wouldn't make his reps complete. His technique sucks; plain and simple.
Your sitting here trying to tell a pro how to deadlift. I guess his sucky form really reflects his physique and how much it has aided his progress over the years.

Carry on.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your sitting here trying to tell a pro how to deadlift. I guess his sucky form really reflects his physique and how much it has aided his progress over the years.

Carry on.
FFS, I'm a damn good deadlifter and a highly technical one at that. Again, is red herring for dinner?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Carry on.
What does his physique have to do with locking out deadlifts? Nothing?

It's a very black and white matter man, the legs are either locked or they aren't. His weren't.

If I did that at my next meet I would get three red lights, plain and simple.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What does his physique have to do with locking out deadlifts? Nothing?

It's a very black and white matter man, the legs are either locked or they aren't. His weren't.

If I did that at my next meet I would get three red lights, plain and simple.
And doug is a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, i have already written that. Does it matter to doug being a bodybuilder? again, i am sure his physique is really lacking from his deadlifting, maybe if more people half assed their deadlifts they would make so much progress. It goes to show you that lifting is not so black and white, you dont have to complete a lift 100% of the way to make gains and see progress in the gym.

Lifting is not all about powerlifting, and lifting is not all about bodybuilding, its finding what works for you and what is optimal. Clearly doug is doing something right if he is making progress in his physique and strength.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And doug is a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, i have already written that. Does it matter to doug being a bodybuilder? again, i am sure his physique is really lacking from his deadlifting, maybe if more people half assed their deadlifts they would make so much progress. It goes to show you that lifting is not so black and white, you dont have to complete a lift 100% of the way to make gains and see progress in the gym.

Lifting is not all about powerlifting, and lifting is not all about bodybuilding, its finding what works for you and what is optimal. Clearly doug is doing something right if he is making progress in his physique and strength.
But that has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't a locked out deadlift. A deadlift is lifting a weight from the floor to an upright, locked out position.

He might have a great physique, which is his goal. But don't post this in the training forum (there is a bodybuilding forum) expecting people to praise halfway completed deadlifts.

Lots of pro BBers have awful form with damn near every lift, it might help with the extra volume for growth but it isn't impressive when someone uses back and hip momentum to do BB curls, and in that way it's not impressive to do half deadlifts.

Or half squats with heavy weight, or anything else that is done halfway complete.

Sure, his physique might be plenty impressive. But his deadlifting isn't.

This, is what impressive deadlifting looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnljVWmpMtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Look at how those legs are locked out, that's a deadlift.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And doug is a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, i have already written that. Does it matter to doug being a bodybuilder? again, i am sure his physique is really lacking from his deadlifting, maybe if more people half assed their deadlifts they would make so much progress. It goes to show you that lifting is not so black and white, you dont have to complete a lift 100% of the way to make gains and see progress in the gym.Lifting is not all about powerlifting, and lifting is not all about bodybuilding, its finding what works for you and what is optimal. Clearly doug is doing something right if he is making progress in his physique and strength.
Dude, you're talking in circles and grasping at straws. If you post a video claiming some impressive deadlifts, then they should be done properly and completed.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
But that has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't a locked out deadlift. A deadlift is lifting a weight from the floor to an upright, locked out position.

He might have a great physique, which is his goal. But don't post this in the training forum (there is a bodybuilding forum) expecting people to praise halfway completed deadlifts.

Lots of pro BBers have awful form with damn near every lift, it might help with the extra volume for growth but it isn't impressive when someone uses back and hip momentum to do BB curls, and in that way it's not impressive to do half deadlifts.

Or half squats with heavy weight, or anything else that is done halfway complete.

Sure, his physique might be plenty impressive. But his deadlifting isn't.

This, is what impressive deadlifting looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnljVWmpMtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Look at how those legs are locked out, that's a deadlift.
Powerlifting and Bodybuilding both require to "Train" or "Workout"
So yes he is "Training"

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still waiting on your impressive 635 x 3
I'm still waiting on Doug Miller's, although I'm glad you can try to make this personal when someone points out poor form of someone you've probably never met in your life.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm still waiting on Doug Miller's, although I'm glad you can try to make this personal when someone points out poor form of someone you've probably never met in your life.
Ive met doug
Ill be watching for your videos.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ive met doug
Ill be watching for your videos.
I post videos of all of my training, and competitions.

And guess what? When someone tells me I have a soft lockout on a deadlift, I fix it, because it's an incomplete lift otherwise.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
What does his physique have to do with locking out deadlifts? Nothing? It's a very black and white matter man, the legs are either locked or they aren't. His weren't. If I did that at my next meet I would get three red lights, plain and simple.

I guess it's a good thing he's not at a meet huh?

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Anytime someone tries to discredit something that someone else has done needs to look in the mirror first.

He may not have locked out but none the less he's put in some work to even get 635 off the ground.

And don't tell me your guys are commenting on his form and strictly pointing out that he didn't lock his knees.

Your personal bias oozes through your messages.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anytime someone tries to discredit something that someone else has done needs to look in the mirror first.

He may not have locked out but none the less he's put in some work to even get 635 off the ground.

And don't tell me your guys are commenting on his form and strictly pointing out that he didn't lock his knees.

Personal bias? What would that be?

I'm just not impressed by halfway completed deadlifts. I've seen tons of guys get heavy weight above their knees and not lock it out, and it's still an incomplete DL.

Locking out 635 x 3 would've been impressive, but getting it to the knees and calling it a completed deadlift isn't.

Hell, a couple of locked out 500lb deadlifts would've been more impressive (it would be more than 2x BW for him, yeah) than not completing the ones he "did".

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Since when is an aversion to non-completed reps a bias? If I really wanted to be a stickler, I could also point out that his lumbar rounds and that he bounces his reps as well. For some reason, all technique critiques now are perceived to be jealousy when in reality this is just bad technique. I don't count incomplete reps and I sure as hell wouldn't count them as a PR.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
When did I say he's not?

I didn't say you did. I asked if you thought he was not strong based on your comments that if he "was so strong why didn't he complete a single rep."

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I'll rephrase:

Do you think he is strong?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now that the thread has been turned by two people that suck at logical arguments, the fact still remains that not a single rep was completed at either weight that was shown.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you need to be stronger than someone in order to critique their form...So I don't get the whole "show your videos then" thing.

Pretty sure we all have the right to say it wasn't a properly completed deadlift....which is fact..so what's the big deal with people saying his reps weren't locked out?

That's what happens when you post a video. Not everyone has to be impressed with it. I think the 180lb guy pulling 585x5 with flawless form is more impressive.

Yes. The dude is strong. Why get so butt hurt when someone says the dude isn't perfect with his reps?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think you need to be stronger than someone in order to critique their form...So I don't get the whole "show your videos then" thing.

Pretty sure we all have the right to say it wasn't a properly completed deadlift....which is fact..so what's the big deal with people saying his reps weren't locked out?

That's what happens when you post a video. Not everyone has to be impressed with it. I think the 180lb guy pulling 585x5 with flawless form is more impressive.

Yes. The dude is strong. Why get butt hurt when someone says the dude isn't perfect with his reps?
Inb4 Bob takes only "the dude is strong" from this entire post and uses it to prove his point to Rodja.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Now that the thread has been turned by two people that suck at logical arguments, the fact still remains that not a single rep was completed at either weight that was shown.

I wasn't arguing with you or not about if a complete rep was done or not.... Not once did I say that his form was perfect and he completed a single complete rep with strict form did I?

I'll ask again. Do you think he is strong?

That seems to be a fairly logical question.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
If only he completed just one rep completely...

This was your first post rodja.

Let me help walk you through my logic since it's tough for you. I hope you can keep up.

1.Logically you made this statement in a sarcastic manner.
2. Logically your sarcasm is in an attempt to discredit what he did.

Hence my logic to question why you would discredit him?

Also hence my logic to ask if you think he is strong.

Hope that helps you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wasn't arguing with you or not about if a complete rep was done or not.... Not once did I say that his form was perfect and he completed a single complete rep with strict form did I?

I'll ask again. Do you think he is strong?

That seems to be a fairly logical question.
I'm sure he is, but you and his fanboy can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that his "reps" were lame. Again, there's a host of issues with it beyond the soft reps and it's even more lame to count that as a PR.

This was your first post rodja.
Let me help walk you through my logic since it's tough for you. I hope you can keep up.

1.Logically you made this statement in a sarcastic manner.
2. Logically your sarcasm is in an attempt to discredit what he did.

Hence my logic to question why you would discredit him?

Also hence my logic to ask if you think he is strong.

Hope that helps you.

Let me walk you through the lockout on a deadlift since you appear to have no ****ing clue how it's properly done; the reps do not count until the knees and hips are locked out at the top. My comment is from a judging perspective by powerlifting standards.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I'm sure he is, but you and his fanboy can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that his "reps" were lame. Again, there's a host of issues with it beyond the soft reps and it's even more lame to count that as a PR.

Haha I never commented on his form either way. I agree with you. I don't think his form is perfect. But I also don't think it's anyone's place to talk s%it about anyone that is obviously working hard.

You offered zero helpful advice, or what he was doing wrong, or how he could improve. Nothing you posted was helpful for anyone.

I mean did he do anything right? Was his effort good? Was it impressive that he was attempting maybe something he's never done?

I'm completely finished with this conversation because logically you have trouble with following along.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha I never commented on his form either way. I agree with you. I don't think his form is perfect. But I also don't think it's anyone's place to talk s%it about anyone that is obviously working hard.

You offered zero helpful advice, or what he was doing wrong, or how he could improve. Nothing you posted was helpful for anyone.

I mean did he do anything right? Was his effort good? Was it impressive that he was attempting maybe something he's never done?

I'm completely finished with this conversation because logically you have trouble with following along.
In your opinion, what could he have posted that would've helped the guy deadlifting?

Especially considering he isn't a member of this forum so he wouldn't see it, hes a professional BBer so he would most likely disregard it anyway (probably give the same argument that Bob did), and obviously no one in this thread is looking for advice on deadlifting.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Isn't it ironic that you condemn **** talking yet are also talking ****? His knees were never locked out; that has been established. It just doesn't make any sense for you two to jizz in your pants over non-complete reps and then steer the conversation off with red herring over and over. This is the training forum and my comment is completely training related. I critique others and I have zero problem with anyone critiquing me.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I'm sure he is, but you and his fanboy can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that his "reps" were lame. Again, there's a host of issues with it beyond the soft reps and it's even more lame to count that as a PR. Let me walk you through the lockout on a deadlift since you appear to have no ****ing clue how it's properly done; the reps do not count until the knees and hips are locked out at the top. My comment is from a judging perspective by powerlifting standards.

Really? When have you ever heard a judge say and I quote "only if he would have completed just one rep?"

Who are you trying to convince.

Jesus I wasn't arguing the validity of your argument about his form! And I know how to use correct form. I dead lifted over 600lbs in college, and yes I locked out.

Once again in case you don't understand I WAS NOT debating his form with you

You just keep saying the same thing about his from. I didn't comment on his form once! I never said he locked out his knees or that a completed dead lift doesn't have to be Locked out.

DID I???

Jesus. You want to talk about logic. This is like having a conversation with a 8 year old.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? When have you ever heard a judge say and I quote "only if he would have completed just one rep?"

Who are you trying to convince.

Jesus I wasn't arguing the validity of your argument about his form! And I know how to use correct form. I dead lifted over 600lbs in college, and yes I locked out.

Once again in case you don't understand I WAS NOT debating his form with you

You just keep saying the same thing about his from. I didn't comment on his form once! I never said he locked out his knees or that a completed dead lift doesn't have to be Locked out.

DID I???

Jesus. You want to talk about logic. This is like having a conversation with a 8 year old.
The judge wouldn't have to say anything. The red light alone would say everything that needs to be said. What's the point that you're trying to prove? That he put in a good effort? That he's training hard? Either way, it belies the fact that his form sucks. What's even worse is that someone that claims to know about deadlifting is impressed with soft reps.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
The judge wouldn't have to say anything. The red light alone would say everything that needs to be said. What's the point that you're trying to prove? That he put in a good effort? That he's training hard? Either way, it belies the fact that his form sucks. What's even worse is that someone that claims to know about deadlifting is impressed with soft reps.

I'm impressed that he made an effort to pull 500+ pounds. You and I both know that very few people have earned the right to even think they can pull that kind of weight.

I wasn't impressed with his form. To be completely honest I didn't take any notice on his form. I did take notice of how he approached the bar with intensity and focus.

Hence my original post about liking how he "attacked" the weight.

I wouldn't argue with you about form because from the posts I have read you seem very knowledgable. I've actually adjusted my form based on some of your previous posts.

But I will state again that I assumed your posts were discrediting his effort.

That I do not agree with. That was my whole point in this debate.

I will be going to sleep now because I need to grow physically, mentally, and financially.

Have a good night.