What to do when joints hurt but your muscles aren't tired?

JohnGafnea

Awards
This is obviously interfering with my workout because like today for example I had to use less weight and even then I could barely finish my routine.

PS- What's karma on these boards used for?

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Experiment with different exercises. Maybe you will find one that is easier on the joints. Also, listen to your body if an exercise brings pain stop.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Go lighter for a month or two on a GVT system.

Start taking some Glucosamine, Chondritin, and MSM

Make sure you from is perfect.

If it happens with barbells switch to dumbells for awhile.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There was a special sale on products for people with high karma, or over a certain amount, but I don't see it anymore.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
What does your diet look like? Bizump to Windwords and glucosamine/chondriotin/MSM, and am gonna add another suggestion: more fats! Basically the reason why I asked about your diet, but I've incorporated more fats (FLAAAAX! more flax! :D ) and this can have an effect I believe... will try to find studies to support it, but my joints feel much better on higher fat/lower carb diets.

here's a basic one, seen it floating around, will try to grab more specifics:
-----
Omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease and in growth and development.

Simopoulos AP.

Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009.

Several sources of information suggest that man evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids of approximately 1 whereas today this ratio is approximately 10:1 to 20-25:1, indicating that Western diets are deficient in omega 3 fatty acids compared with the diet on which humans evolved and their genetic patterns were established. Omega-3 fatty acids increase bleeding time; decrease platelet aggregation, blood viscosity, and fibrinogen; and increase erythrocyte deformability, thus decreasing the tendency to thrombus formation. In no clinical trial, including coronary artery graft surgery, has there been any evidence of increased blood loss due to ingestion of omega 3 fatty acids. Many studies show that the effects of omega 3 fatty acids on serum lipids depend on the type of patient and whether the amount of saturated fatty acids in the diet is held constant. In patients with hyperlipidemia, omega 3 fatty acids decrease low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol if the saturated fatty acid content is decreased, otherwise there is a slight increase, but at high doses (32 g) they lower LDL cholesterol; furthermore, they consistently lower serum triglycerides in normal subjects and in patients with hypertriglyceridemia whereas the effect on high-density lipoprotein (HDL) varies from no effect to slight increases. The discrepancies between animal and human studies most likely are due to differences between animal and human metabolism. In clinical trials eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in the form of fish oils along with antirheumatic drugs improve joint pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis; have a beneficial effect in patients with ulcerative colitis; and in combination with drugs, improve the skin lesions, lower the hyperlipidemia from etretinates, and decrease the toxicity of cyclosporin in patients with psoriasis. In various animal models omega 3 fatty acids decrease the number and size of tumors and increase the time elapsed before appearance of tumors. Studies with nonhuman primates and human newborns indicate that DHA is essential for the normal functional development of the retina and brain, particularly in premature infants. Because omega 3 fatty acids are essential in growth and development throughout the life cycle, they should be included in the diets of all humans. Omega-3 and omega 6 fatty acids are not interconvertible in the human body and are important components of practically all cell membranes. Whereas cellular proteins are genetically determined, the polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) composition of cell membranes is to a great extent dependent on the dietary intake.
--------------

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and skeletal health.

Watkins BA, Li Y, Lippman HE, Seifert MF.

Department of Food Science, Lipid Chemistry and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA. [email protected]

This minireview on skeletal biology describes the actions of prostaglandins and cytokines involved in the local regulation of bone metabolism, it documents the role of lipids in bone biology, and it presents relationships between fatty acids and other factors that impact skeletal metabolism. The data presented herein show consistent and reproducible beneficial effects of omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids on bone metabolism and bone/joint diseases. Polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate eicosanoid biosynthesis in numerous tissues and cell types, alter signal transduction, and influence gene expression. These effects have not been explored in the skeletal system.
Future research on n-3 fatty acids in bone biology should focus on the following two aspects. First, the further elucidation of how n-3 fatty acids alter biochemical and molecular processes involved in bone modeling and bone cell differentiation, and second, the evaluation of the potential pharmaceutical applications of these nutraceutical fatty acids in maintaining bone mineral status and controlling inflammatory bone/joint diseases.
---------

Rather hard to find specific data as there aren't many studies on the fatty acid/bone-joint health aspect but I think it's promising, and again offer my individual opinion above (have taken 5-7 tbs of flax daily before, again, skin cleared up, flexibility increased to a mild degree, and joint pain under heavy 5-6 rep sets decreased to nothing :) ). Also found a glucosamine/chond. study on horses that seems to support it's use (at least in an equine capacity ;) ), only skimmed through it though, would be happy to post it as well if desired.

Last edited: