Has anyone used the 5-3-1 method

MEGATRONIC

MEGATRONIC

Awards
So I'm going to start a new program to gain strength basically for bench, squat, overhead press, and deadlifts. Week 1 is 75% 80% & 85% 5 reps of 1 rep max. Week 2 80% 85% 90 % 3 reps. Week 3 75% x 5. 85% x3. 95% x 1. Week 4 Deload 60% 65% 70% 5 reps. I was just wondering If anyone's tried this and has had any significant strength gains.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I've been doing one variation or another of 531 for 2 yrs now.

It works, start light and do the program as written.

Let me say that again: do the program as written...

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
ive used it and love it..............ill be going with this program for a few years since Beyond 5/3/1 has come out with different styles of it

MEGATRONIC

MEGATRONIC

Awards
I've been doing one variation or another of 531 for 2 yrs now.

It works, start light and do the program as written.

Let me say that again: do the program as written...
Nice I'm excited to get started and see improvement in my strength

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Using it now and love it

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best most simple program for pure strength. No bullshi@ just follow the program exactly and gains will come.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Search the site. I'd venture to say there are no fewer than five logs of people using 5/3/1 (in just the title), and many more using it after having tried another method.

I'll admit that I'm a full-on Wendler fanboy, but I still am of the opinion there's not another intermediate to advanced (and beyond) program that bridges the gap between simplicity and effectiveness the way 5/3/1 does.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. You'll have significant strength gains (permitting rest and diet as well..) I built a hefty squat off of 5/3/1.

Also, in your original post, you said those percentage are based off of your 1RM. That's false. You take your 1RM, subtract 10% from it, and base all percentages off of that number. The next cycle, increase 10lbs (lower) and 5lbs (upper) to that training max.

I'd recommend looking at the Periodization Bible that Wendler laid out for assistance work. Throw in crap like shrugs and curls wherever you see fit.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, just to reiterate what you've most likely read already-the final set each day should be as many reps as possible.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
New thread title should be who HASN'T used 531. ;)

It is a great program and tons of people have used it on here (and it is quite popular even off the forums). I don't think you will be disappointed if you give it a go and actually follow it the way Wendler lays it out.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Best program I've used.. I'm on it right now in my 4th cycle and am having great results! I'd recommend it to anyone looking to get stronger.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Currently using it and love it. Simple yet effective and a great structure for those of us who need it. If I don't follow a well laid out plan that forces you to progress, then i just bob in the water not really getting anywhere.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ahem.... Ahem...

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I used this for a year or two when I got into PLing. It's pretty awesome, good starting point at least. I than did WSC for 5 years after