Want to start training twice a day.

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
Ok I was working construction and was burning a lot of calories while at work and then I would come home and work out. I really did not think sitting around at home instead of working would effect me that much, but I have pry put on about 10-12 lbs not working. So I decided I need to get more active and want to hit the gym and pull more doubles. Does anyone have some tips on where to get started with setting up a routine. I know my body isn't getting beat up from work, but I still figure it is possible to overtrain though. I mean do you for arm day say biceps in the morning and triceps in the afternoon. Do you lift lighter so you can hit muscle groups several times a week? Any tips would be apreciated

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
CT Fletcher says, "Overtraining is for ***** ass Bon-Bon eating mother ****ers who sit on the couch with their slippers on makin excuses."

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
haha ct is the man! just when I go im always pushing it, i.e extra rep or even adding 5lbs to the bar, just always trying to improve. Should I not do that or just hit the gym as had as I can as often as I can

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
I'm anxious to hear how some people split double workouts. I'm currently out of work and am anxious to get the most out of my day. I'd love to start a morning and evening lift program. Sorry, I'm not really helping your post, just glad you brought this up!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some time ago, I trained 4-6 days per with double splits. In the mid afternoons or morns, (on weekends) I would do my compound work, say BP's, OHP's or Rows etc. then do iso work or arms abs at night. I did not train legs, hips much back then. (pretty dumb I know since this is some of the best body and systemic changing work on those big muscle groups)

After I got into heavy squatting and deadlifting along with my other compounds, I never wanted to train 2x per day, since the leg hip and back work beat me up pretty good so recovery for the next day or so, was always an issue to get ready to hit it again with the big stuff.

Now, I understand your goals are your goals, but from my experience and if you just want to be bigger and stronger than you are now, I am not so sure 2x per day is the absolute best approach, especially if you are natural. Sure nothing wrong with a few sets of arms at night or blowing by a chin bar has you knocking out a few reps, okay I see that. I did and still do that on occasion.

Neither, am I one to go around being afraid of overtraining since I do think that word is strewn about sometimes haphazardly, but truthfully, when I trained 5-6 days per week 2x per day plus worked 40+ hours per week, I had more sore throats and frequent colds and was never any farther ahead on my lifts than when I started doing heavy 3-4 days per week on the 5-7 compounds and working into putting as much weight on the bar as I could on those exercises.
It can be done, but pay attention to your overall recovery and how your feel system wise. It may help in the longer run.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
if you train rigt, you wont have to or want to train doubles. try do 5 sets of 5 rep squats as heavy as you can control form. then move over to 5 sets of 10 rep leg presses. let me know if you can come back later that day and do legs again

training doubles as a natural lifter means youre just a gigantic isolation puss-c that doesnt do compound lifts

using gear changes the scenario a little

btw op. if the goal is to improve, whats the point in lifting lighter so you still have energy to lift later on in the week or day?

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Once a day gets my vote. You could always do aerobic stuff in the am and weights in the pm. A nice decent paced walk in the morning or night works wonders for weight management and mood elevation for me.

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
That all makes sense. I ho hard with 6-8 sets and low reps. I was curious as how my body would handle a dbl day but like you said, what's the point in doing a double day if you have to hold off to reserve energy for later? Thanks for advice guys

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
btw op. if the goal is to improve, whats the point in lifting lighter so you still have energy to lift later on in the week or day?
I think this is an important and valid point ^

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I did doubles for a while, but only twice a week. One workout was always full body/high intensity while the other was iso. It worked ok, but now I prefer to just get 1 workout in and really make it count.

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
Ya I think I might just add doubles like once or twice a week or maybe do a cardio in the morning and weights at night. Its not so much for training benefits its more of the not working a high impact job anymore and Im starting to pack on some pounds not in a good way. I know its the diet but lets say I burned 600 calories working, I am sure thats low but now I am just sitting at home those 8-10 hours and my metabolism is going on rest mode. I think I am just going to have to tweak my diet more.

napalm

napalm

Awards
if you train rigt, you wont have to or want to train doubles. try do 5 sets of 5 rep squats as heavy as you can control form. then move over to 5 sets of 10 rep leg presses. let me know if you can come back later that day and do legs again

training doubles as a natural lifter means youre just a gigantic isolation puss-c that doesnt do compound lifts

using gear changes the scenario a little

in his usual point blank style, onion has it right once again...

banksy2020

banksy2020

Awards
I think onion missed the point of my thread, it is not really for building muscle or getting stronger, it is more for a bigger calorie deficit and to lose the weight I have gained from not working. I have tweaked my diet, but still wanted to know about going to the gym for doubles because I am just not a fan of cardio.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I think onion missed the point of my thread, it is not really for building muscle or getting stronger, it is more for a bigger calorie deficit and to lose the weight I have gained from not working. I have tweaked my diet, but still wanted to know about going to the gym for doubles because I am just not a fan of cardio.
re-read his post, nothing changes.

fix your fck'd up diet, bust ass 4 times a week w big compound movements and only good things will happen...

/thread...

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
dont doubt the onion. itll make you cry

haha ct is the man! just when I go im always pushing it, i.e extra rep or even adding 5lbs to the bar, just always trying to improve. Should I not do that or just hit the gym as had as I can as often as I can
then

u sure you didnt miss the point of your own thread?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Train harder not more. Use the extra time to rest and do something productive.