Icarian T-bar Row useless?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I was reading an article on useless gym equipment and machines and came across the T-bar row. Look like this: Icarian T Bar Row | CSMFinessGeorgia.com

Article here: Bodybuilding.com - A Critical Look At Machines if you scroll down a bit. I do not use the other examples but do T-bar and wondering if I am wasting my time and this info is legitimate.

As always I come here to find the good,bad and ugly about things.

I did a search under T-bar in Training but the results were in training logs not TF threads per say.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
we have one of those things at my gym, I hate it. If I put more than a plate on it, I can barely breath when doing it.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I was reading an article on useless gym equipment and machines and came across the T-bar row. Look like this: Icarian T Bar Row | CSMFinessGeorgia.com

Article here: Bodybuilding.com - A Critical Look At Machines if you scroll down a bit. I do not use the other examples but do T-bar and wondering if I am wasting my time and this info is legitimate.

As always I come here to find the good,bad and ugly about things.

I did a search under T-bar in Training but the results were in training logs not TF threads per say.
Like Geek said, it's hard to get a good, solid, heavy rep due to the pressure of the weight on your abdomen. But supersetting the t bar with reverse flies or shrugs first is a great way to get some decent trap developement. You could probably do face pulls before/after t bar rows for a good superset as well.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. That was my next question what to replace it with. Thank you gentlemen.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks. That was my next question what to replace it with. Thank you gentlemen.
Lots of stuff. Most machines can have reasons to avoid or at least keep other options in the tool box.

Reg bent BB rows
Single DB bench rows
Yates Rows
Low cable rows
Chins
Pull Ups
Pull Dwns
Bench Rows
Kroc Rows

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do these currently:
Low cable rows
Pull Ups
Pull Dwns

I would do regular bentover bb rows but there are space availability issues during the week. Even the T-bar I mentioned sees traffic.

I do not know what Yates or Croc rows are have to look those up.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The original T-bar row is: Stuff a barbell in a corner, put a dumbbell on one end and a bunch of 25# plates on the other end, take the parallel V-handle and rep hard. Extremely effective thickness builder. It really hits the low middle lats. Now that it's out there, those might have to go back in the toolbox.

Just make sure you're not using too much weight. I got stretched forward once and the barbell came out from under the dumbbell and hit me square in the a$$hole. No BS, it really happened.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Meadows rows is another good exercise

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FYI, the article was stating that the old school Tbar machines were useless, not the chest supported tbar row machine. I'd agree but not for the reasons they state - mostly for the reason that the range of motion is so stupid short why bother.

I dont like most chest supported tbar row machines because of the way the handles are fixed. Not all TBar row machines are like this, but the ones that are are pretty unsound to use as the closer the weight gets to you the less you use the back muscles and the more it loads the shoulders, which is totally stupid.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It seemed too, he was coming from a point of lower back straining, which the one I had used, did not have an adjustable stand plate, so it was hard to keep some knee bend, which I think is essential in rowing and the lower back. Bending the knees slightly takes the extension of the low back out of the move some, and puts the emphasis on the lats.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FYI, the article was stating that the old school Tbar machines were useless, not the chest supported tbar row machine. I'd agree but not for the reasons they state - mostly for the reason that the range of motion is so stupid short why bother.

I dont like most chest supported tbar row machines because of the way the handles are fixed. Not all TBar row machines are like this, but the ones that are are pretty unsound to use as the closer the weight gets to you the less you use the back muscles and the more it loads the shoulders, which is totally stupid.
I see your point the image provided in the article is one of the chest supported ones.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see your point the image provided in the article is one of the chest supported ones.
The way to tell if the chest supported machine that you use will be good for you is to monitor how much elbow flexion occurs during the row. If the closest your elbows get to your forearms are a 90 degree angle then it's ok. If your forearms make a smaller angle with the forearm then it's probably not worth it.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We have one of those too.....if I stand with my feet on the ground and don't use the foot stands I don't get as much pressure like everyone has talked about. Also when using an underhand grip I feel like I can get more of a "rowing" motion instead of a pulling motion cause there is a difference....

Oh and they are very useful on Meadows Rows so not totally useless :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We have one of those too.....if I stand with my feet on the ground and don't use the foot stands I don't get as much pressure like everyone has talked about.
I get a good back W/O if I just face down on a reg. incline bench @ maybe 45 deg. and straddle it. I use a heavy curl bar for a slight arm/grip angle advantage.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get a good back W/O if I just face down on a reg. incline bench @ maybe 45 deg. and straddle it. I use a heavy curl bar for a slight arm/grip angle advantage.
Good ideas. I never use this machine anymore really. Free weights are just way more my style.