Increase 1RM Fast

hmatthews50

Awards
My friend recently paced me up with his bench press max. I couldn't get a good lift in during football season , but I can now. Does anyone know a good workout to increase my 1RM ASAP?

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
There was actually an article that said the solution to this was too bench literally every day. Not heavy every day, but basically just keep doing it and getting a workout in that area.

I have no idea how credible that advice is, though, so follow it at your own risk.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There was actually an article that said the solution to this was too bench literally every day. Not heavy every day, but basically just keep doing it and getting a workout in that area.

I have no idea how credible that advice is, though, so follow it at your own risk.
This is a stupid idea IMO. Bench no more than 2-3 times a week. Eat like a horse and gain weight. The bigger you are the stronger you'll be.
S

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does anyone know a good workout to increase my 1RM ASAP?
2 cents:
Sounds a little impatient, unless you have an actual comp coming up!?
Usually and for the vast majority, the best way to hit heavy singles, is by slowly working up to them over a little time by working into lower rep multi sets, (say 5x5's then 6 sets of 3, then maybe doubles and singles in your 90% range) This acclimates the body/CNS to recruit more fibers quickly, to get and build the tendons and ligs to be able to hit heavy(er) singles and does not rush one into an injury perhaps.

I also might not disagree with the above poster with quite a bit of frequency and volume (for say a stint of 4 or so weeks, since you can go stale if it is overdone) hitting perhaps a higher state of supercompensation.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Google Smolov program. It was designed for squats, squatting 4 or 5 times a week depending on which version you use, but it can be adatped to benching, shoulder pressing, deadlifts, what ever. I used it for jump training for volleyball, and when all was said and done I added 55 lbs. to my squat in 4 weeks, also 4.5" to my vertical. Since it worked so well for squatting I tried it for benching for 2 weeks and it works just as well. Make sure you follow it strictly though. Following this program and trying to work hard on other body parts/exercises will lead to serious over training and you will lose progress instead.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Google Smolov program. It was designed for squats, squatting 4 or 5 times a week depending on which version you use, but it can be adatped to benching, shoulder pressing, deadlifts, what ever. I used it for jump training for volleyball, and when all was said and done I added 55 lbs. to my squat in 4 weeks, also 4.5" to my vertical. Since it worked so well for squatting I tried it for benching for 2 weeks and it works just as well. Make sure you follow it strictly though. Following this program and trying to work hard on other body parts/exercises will lead to serious over training and you will lose progress instead.
god that would be a nightmare in the bench......but it does sound fun :saevil:

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
god that would be a nightmare in the bench......but it does sound fun :saevil:
Haha, no, he mentioned the "nightmare", it is squatting that much in a week, or 10 days even. You have to screw your head on pretty tight for that s**t and have your food slid under the door, since a social life during those stints is kinda out of the question. ;-)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha, no, he mentioned the "nightmare", it is squatting that much in a week, or 10 days even. You have to screw your head on pretty tight for that s**t and have your food slid under the door, since a social life during those stints is kinda out of the question. ;-)
The first week WAS a nightmare. But you'd be amazed at the speed of the workouts and how fast you adapt. Try it, you may like it. I do it twice a year now.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually did a Smolov type with my deads and have worked the Russian % cycle with BP's quite a few times. So yeah, I have a little experience with that kind of volume and frequency.
It does teach some good work ethic too.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt. Drives home the importance of form for sure.