whats some good mass building alternatives for flat bench?

  1. whats some good mass building alternatives for flat bench?


    My right shoulder will just not hold up to flat bench anymore, dumbbell or barbell. I need some good stuff to substitute for some size, any ideas?


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Rush8780 View Post
    My right shoulder will just not hold up to flat bench anymore, dumbbell or barbell. I need some good stuff to substitute for some size, any ideas?
    Can you do dips?

  3. How does it feel on incline/decline?
    •   
       


  4. First thing that comes to mind is recover your shoulder

  5. You could always focus on incline bench at various angles. My lower pecs grow considerably faster than my upper. I had the same issue and resorted to this and rehab work and I'm pleased with results thus far.

  6. As far as recovery goes. I'm currently deployed an I took almost a month off to heal and spend with my family. The week I started back up I started right back. I can literally do every other angle. Even dips. Just flat bench kills my rotator cuff

  7. Are you asking solely based on chest development? Cuz honestly weighted push-ups and ring flyes did more for my chest size than flat benching ever did

  8. Man do be honest with u I'm up for anything that I can do with my shoulder the way it is. If it doesn't hurt il def give it a go

  9. Dude, IMO, if you can do everything else as far as chest goes, I think you'll be just fine

  10. Yea, kinda weird that you have no pain with any other movement as there's some similarities there. But if that's all you can't do you should be fine. I would still get that shoulder checked out if you can. May be an easy fix.
    Board Rep for PHWSupplements
    Use Coupon code NICK10 for 10% off any order!
    www.phwsupplements.com/

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rush8780 View Post
    As far as recovery goes. I'm currently deployed an I took almost a month off to heal and spend with my family. The week I started back up I started right back. I can literally do every other angle. Even dips. Just flat bench kills my rotator cuff
    When I hurt my shoulder flat BPing, lying L-flyes with a #5 plate only, really got me back to pressing again in about 6 weeks.
    Might be worth some rehab work to strengthen those little exterior cuff muscles.

  12. Yeah I usually take a 5or a 10 plTe and do rotator cuff movements but usually just one set prolly need to do it more

  13. Before pressing I'll warm up with several sets of standing rear delt flys with a band to really pump blood into the shoulders and traps. I've read a number of articles indicating the benefit of performing posterior shoulder/trap movements as a precursor to pressing movements. It took a few week but now I have minimal discomfort when pressing. Also, I'll slide a 10 lb plate under the foot area of the flat bench to give it a slight decline. That, too seems to help.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Before pressing I'll warm up with several sets of standing rear delt flys with a band to really pump blood into the shoulders and traps. I've read a number of articles indicating the benefit of performing posterior shoulder/trap movements as a precursor to pressing movements. It took a few week but now I have minimal discomfort when pressing. Also, I'll slide a 10 lb plate under the foot area of the flat bench to give it a slight decline. That, too seems to help.
    This is good advice. Doing a little assistance work to pump the shoulders/traps could definitely help stabilize the pressing movements.

    Also, have you trying a joint supp like Cissus? I couldn't bench for a while after benching at too high of a frequency and Cissus really blew my mind how fast I was able to heal. I really thought i would have to work around flat bench from then on but i was back at it in 2 weeks!

  15. I almost never do flat bench anymore, at least not conventional stuff. Since my shoulder surgery in 09', I have stopped doing them. I also do rotator cuff exercises before EVERY workout, and still achieve good chest development doing other movements. Just have to work around the injury and do your best.
    Remember why you started.

  16. Thanks for the advice guys

  17. Push-up different angles and movements

    Seated hammer strength machines

  18. The seated chest press does work well for me, you can really feel the pec isolation
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
  3. need a good mass building work out
    By ChrisDono in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:21 AM
  4. Whats some good pre work out supps?
    By ChrisDono in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM
  5. What a good diet can do for a powerlifter
    By ktw in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Log in
Log in