No spot for the bench ?

Hondaman722

Awards
Have no spot for benching

Should I go to dumbbell press for my strength chest exercise instead of barbell?

Bench in the cage? Will I still get the strength/mass benefits from this?

Don't like interrupting people during there workout for a spot! I find it quite annoying when people do it on me, ruins intensity...

Any personal experience help would be great :)

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
interupt people. i hate doing it too, mostly because of a couple past experiences where some cawk sucker spots like a douche. but lately ive been stuck in your situation and have to ask

you can also borrow a trainer from the front or while they walk by. theyll gladly spot you rather than sit on their asses waiting for a call or client.

Hondaman722

Awards
interupt people. i hate doing it too, mostly because of a couple past experiences where some cawk sucker spots like a douche. but lately ive been stuck in your situation and have to ask you can also borrow a trainer from the front or while they walk by. theyll gladly spot you rather than sit on their asses waiting for a call or client.
I hate asking the same "cawk suckers" might just bench in the cage, f*** that ****T, thanks anyway

Hondaman722

Awards
This is true...
I would but the trainers are douche bags! Haha, cage it is .. Also they always beat around the bush trying to get you for a session! **** that ****

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I would but the trainers are douche bags! Haha, cage it is .. Also they always beat around the bush trying to get you for a session! **** that ****
I like the cage because I generally don't like to talk to anybody...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You sure like to **** a lot of ****.

Just ask for a spot, sounds like you're more dead set on not bench pressing more than finding a way to do it.

I bench with no spot all the time, it's really not that complicated.

Hondaman722

Awards
I like the cage because I generally don't like to talk to anybody...
Same here, infact I purposely put my earphones In and loud just so I have an excuse to ignore people! I have no time for the typical gym ***s..

Hondaman722

Awards
You sure like to **** a lot of ****. Just ask for a spot, sounds like you're more dead set on not bench pressing more than finding a way to do it. I bench with no spot all the time, it's really not that complicated.
Hahahaa well said, and nope not at all, I just want to no would it affect me without a spotter ? Realistically your not pushing the weight when your getting a hand. But I don't care my minds made up, I can't be bothered talking to people, ruins intensity, thanks for your response

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Hahahaa well said, and nope not at all, I just want to no would it affect me without a spotter ? Realistically your not pushing the weight when your getting a hand. But I don't care my minds made up, I can't be bothered talking to people, ruins intensity, thanks for your response
i just tell people "dont worry about touching the bar unless it starts going back down." give them that word for word. they wont spot like a doucher.

+ it sounds nice. compared to "dont touch the fukin bar"

Hondaman722

Awards
i just tell people "dont worry about touching the bar unless it starts going back down." give them that word for word. they wont spot like a doucher. + it sounds nice. compared to "dont touch the fukin bar"
Good idea, smooth operator lol, thanks

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Don't like interrupting people during there workout for a spot! I find it quite annoying when people do it on me, ruins intensity...
get to know some of the fulltimers there and let them know if they need a spot you will be there to help them and vise versa....nothing wrong with asking for a spot it means your lifting smart. or get in a cage set the safety bars and press till you can press anymore

hernmari1

Awards
I know lifting heavy is good but I have a friend( kind of) thats asks me to spot him. He goes so heavy to where hes oly doin 1 or 2 reps maybe 3 and hell tell me to spot its annoying. I just lift my self n never go that heavy

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I know lifting heavy is good but I have a friend( kind of) thats asks me to spot him. He goes so heavy to where hes oly doin 1 or 2 reps maybe 3 and hell tell me to spot its annoying. I just lift my self n never go that heavy
how is your friends form when he is going that heavy?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Ok, you should get in a cage too...

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
just ask the gym employee, that's what I do when no one is around

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
do you say "I AM GEEKPOOP....YOU SPOT ME NOW!!"
That shiz would be epic!!
haha this my house!

no I'm pretty polite and quiet in the gym IRL. Usually just have my headphones in and go bout my business :p

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bench in the bench. If you are like me you can do one full rep-set of your target weight without issues. Next set do your repset less one or what you feel is needed. Next set deduct from the previous. repeat as needed.

I do not have a spotter and work this way. Also, when done with the above a load a bit more weight and do half presses(not all the way to the chest) to see if I can handle this heavier load on the next session for rep-set #1.

BTW, at the gym I go to, an LA Fitness in Miami, the staff are not allowed to spot or provide any assistance to clients unless you contract for a personal trainer.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
^^your gym sucks, and that advice had nothing to do with anything. If you never lift to the point of someday needing a spot, IMO, you are not meeting your potential.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
your gym blows dik. if the staff actually follows that stupid rule, then they are *******s and dont deserve clients

trainers usually get clients by walking the floor and doing shet like that. not sitting on their ass at the door waiting for someone to ask for help

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
If you don't lift like a jackass I think you can get by just fine without a spotter. How often are you really trying to go for your 1 rep max?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If you don't lift like a jackass I think you can get by just fine without a spotter. How often are you really trying to go for your 1 rep max?
its usually that fifth rep of the fiver that gets me. but i know when to call it quits at 4 lol

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have asked/recommended to some of the better trainers why no weight lifting class or similar to engage/enroll people and of course teach safety. Answer always- No. nothing for free.

They offer zumba, step-abs, spinning, etc for at no additional charge. Mostly female attendees.

During the spring and summer there was cardio boot camp and iron man/triathalon training which I did. But eventually management stopped the classes. Too many freebies.

Well my spotter advice was intuitive based on a person can do at least half of their routine without a spotter.(and my experiences in the past two years) I looked up what was recommended in Stronglifts and it echoes what I wrote.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
so if you lift with a spotter your a jackass now?? Like OK said, it's usually when your going into deep heavy sets, a spotter is good to have. I think a gym where the "trainers" act more like salesmen is just lame and I would not spend a dime there

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You know he did not say that. He wrote so long as you do not lift like a jackass... not that one is a jackass if they use a spotter.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its usually that fifth rep of the fiver that gets me. but i know when to call it quits at 4 lol
This, so this! I lift early in the morning by myself so there isn't any staff at the gym anyways. So you just learn to adapt, you can still push yourself. Just gotta know how to do it safely.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
This, so this! I lift early in the morning by myself so there isn't any staff at the gym anyways. So you just learn to adapt, you can still push yourself. Just gotta know how to do it safely.
dont get me wrong, I completely agree! My only point was that if you are at a gym and there is a staff member that says no, it's pretty lame IMO. And also that there are the occasions when, at least anyone I know, could use a spotter. Most of the time, I am just fine without one, but sometimes it's necessary

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I have no problem spotting anybody at the gym. Better to be safe then sorry. If you end up with weight crashing down on you you're going to be wishing you asked for that spot. However you definitely dont need to go to failure on bench. Feel free to leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
dont get me wrong, I completely agree! My only point was that if you are at a gym and there is a staff member that says no, it's pretty lame IMO. And also that there are the occasions when, at least anyone I know, could use a spotter. Most of the time, I am just fine without one, but sometimes it's necessary
Oh I agree with that too! Very lame of a staff member to turn you down for that. You;d think they'd rather do that than most of the crap they have to do at a gym.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely not trying to say if you have a spotter your a jackass but you shouldn't rely on one every time you're in the gym. Also ever think about what happens when you fail on that last rep and your spotter doesn't catch it soon enough?? You need to learn when to hang up the weights is all I'm getting at.