No spot for the bench ? - AnabolicMinds.com

No spot for the bench ?

  1. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    No spot for the bench ?


    Have no spot for benching

    Should I go to dumbbell press for my strength chest exercise instead of barbell?

    Bench in the cage? Will I still get the strength/mass benefits from this?

    Don't like interrupting people during there workout for a spot! I find it quite annoying when people do it on me, ruins intensity...

    Any personal experience help would be great

  2. BLaQz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,209
    Rep Power
    143151

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Bench in the cage or dumbbells...
  3. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    interupt people. i hate doing it too, mostly because of a couple past experiences where some cawk sucker spots like a douche. but lately ive been stuck in your situation and have to ask

    you can also borrow a trainer from the front or while they walk by. theyll gladly spot you rather than sit on their asses waiting for a call or client.
    •   
       

  4. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    Bench in the cage or dumbbells...
    Short and sweet, cheers
  5. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    interupt people. i hate doing it too, mostly because of a couple past experiences where some cawk sucker spots like a douche. but lately ive been stuck in your situation and have to ask you can also borrow a trainer from the front or while they walk by. theyll gladly spot you rather than sit on their asses waiting for a call or client.
    I hate asking the same "cawk suckers" might just bench in the cage, f*** that ****T, thanks anyway
  6. BLaQz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,209
    Rep Power
    143151

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    You can also borrow a trainer from the front or while they walk by. theyll gladly spot you rather than sit on their asses waiting for a call or client.
    This is true...
  7. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    This is true...
    I would but the trainers are douche bags! Haha, cage it is .. Also they always beat around the bush trying to get you for a session! **** that ****
  8. BLaQz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,209
    Rep Power
    143151

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman722 View Post
    I would but the trainers are douche bags! Haha, cage it is .. Also they always beat around the bush trying to get you for a session! **** that ****
    I like the cage because I generally don't like to talk to anybody...
  9. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,194
    Rep Power
    6705999

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    You sure like to **** a lot of ****.


    Just ask for a spot, sounds like you're more dead set on not bench pressing more than finding a way to do it.

    I bench with no spot all the time, it's really not that complicated.
  10. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz View Post
    I like the cage because I generally don't like to talk to anybody...
    Same here, infact I purposely put my earphones In and loud just so I have an excuse to ignore people! I have no time for the typical gym ***s..
  11. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    You sure like to **** a lot of ****. Just ask for a spot, sounds like you're more dead set on not bench pressing more than finding a way to do it. I bench with no spot all the time, it's really not that complicated.
    Hahahaa well said, and nope not at all, I just want to no would it affect me without a spotter ? Realistically your not pushing the weight when your getting a hand. But I don't care my minds made up, I can't be bothered talking to people, ruins intensity, thanks for your response
  12. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman722 View Post

    Hahahaa well said, and nope not at all, I just want to no would it affect me without a spotter ? Realistically your not pushing the weight when your getting a hand. But I don't care my minds made up, I can't be bothered talking to people, ruins intensity, thanks for your response
    i just tell people "dont worry about touching the bar unless it starts going back down." give them that word for word. they wont spot like a doucher.

    + it sounds nice. compared to "dont touch the fukin bar"
  13. Hondaman722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    12881

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    i just tell people "dont worry about touching the bar unless it starts going back down." give them that word for word. they wont spot like a doucher. + it sounds nice. compared to "dont touch the fukin bar"
    Good idea, smooth operator lol, thanks
  14. dds
    dds's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    2347

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman722 View Post
    Don't like interrupting people during there workout for a spot! I find it quite annoying when people do it on me, ruins intensity...
    get to know some of the fulltimers there and let them know if they need a spot you will be there to help them and vise versa....nothing wrong with asking for a spot it means your lifting smart. or get in a cage set the safety bars and press till you can press anymore
  15. hernmari1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    36

    Reputation

    I know lifting heavy is good but I have a friend( kind of) thats asks me to spot him. He goes so heavy to where hes oly doin 1 or 2 reps maybe 3 and hell tell me to spot its annoying. I just lift my self n never go that heavy
  16. McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,252
    Rep Power
    2105716

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hernmari1 View Post
    I know lifting heavy is good but I have a friend( kind of) thats asks me to spot him. He goes so heavy to where hes oly doin 1 or 2 reps maybe 3 and hell tell me to spot its annoying. I just lift my self n never go that heavy
    how is your friends form when he is going that heavy?
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  17. BLaQz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,209
    Rep Power
    143151

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hernmari1 View Post
    I know lifting heavy is good but I have a friend( kind of) thats asks me to spot him. He goes so heavy to where hes oly doin 1 or 2 reps maybe 3 and hell tell me to spot its annoying. I just lift my self n never go that heavy
    Ok, you should get in a cage too...
  18. GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Rep Power
    234818

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    just ask the gym employee, that's what I do when no one is around
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  19. Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    136235

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    just ask the gym employee, that's what I do when no one is around
    do you say "I AM GEEKPOOP....YOU SPOT ME NOW!!"
    That shiz would be epic!!
  20. GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Rep Power
    234818

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    do you say "I AM GEEKPOOP....YOU SPOT ME NOW!!"
    That shiz would be epic!!
    haha this my house!

    no I'm pretty polite and quiet in the gym IRL. Usually just have my headphones in and go bout my business :P
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  21. UCSMiami's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2093

    Reputation

    Bench in the bench. If you are like me you can do one full rep-set of your target weight without issues. Next set do your repset less one or what you feel is needed. Next set deduct from the previous. repeat as needed.

    I do not have a spotter and work this way. Also, when done with the above a load a bit more weight and do half presses(not all the way to the chest) to see if I can handle this heavier load on the next session for rep-set #1.

    BTW, at the gym I go to, an LA Fitness in Miami, the staff are not allowed to spot or provide any assistance to clients unless you contract for a personal trainer.
  22. Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    136235

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    ^^your gym sucks, and that advice had nothing to do with anything. If you never lift to the point of someday needing a spot, IMO, you are not meeting your potential.
  23. UCSMiami's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2093

    Reputation

    That is ok we all have opinions.
  24. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    your gym blows dik. if the staff actually follows that stupid rule, then they are *******s and dont deserve clients

    trainers usually get clients by walking the floor and doing shet like that. not sitting on their ass at the door waiting for someone to ask for help
  25. mtinsideout's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Power
    440550

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    If you don't lift like a jackass I think you can get by just fine without a spotter. How often are you really trying to go for your 1 rep max?
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html
  26. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    If you don't lift like a jackass I think you can get by just fine without a spotter. How often are you really trying to go for your 1 rep max?
    its usually that fifth rep of the fiver that gets me. but i know when to call it quits at 4 lol
  27. UCSMiami's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2093

    Reputation

    I have asked/recommended to some of the better trainers why no weight lifting class or similar to engage/enroll people and of course teach safety. Answer always- No. nothing for free.

    They offer zumba, step-abs, spinning, etc for at no additional charge. Mostly female attendees.

    During the spring and summer there was cardio boot camp and iron man/triathalon training which I did. But eventually management stopped the classes. Too many freebies.

    Well my spotter advice was intuitive based on a person can do at least half of their routine without a spotter.(and my experiences in the past two years) I looked up what was recommended in Stronglifts and it echoes what I wrote.
  28. Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    136235

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    If you don't lift like a jackass I think you can get by just fine without a spotter. How often are you really trying to go for your 1 rep max?
    so if you lift with a spotter your a jackass now?? Like OK said, it's usually when your going into deep heavy sets, a spotter is good to have. I think a gym where the "trainers" act more like salesmen is just lame and I would not spend a dime there
  29. UCSMiami's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Age
    50
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    2093

    Reputation

    You know he did not say that. He wrote so long as you do not lift like a jackass... not that one is a jackass if they use a spotter.
  30. nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,169
    Rep Power
    1435623

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    its usually that fifth rep of the fiver that gets me. but i know when to call it quits at 4 lol
    This, so this! I lift early in the morning by myself so there isn't any staff at the gym anyways. So you just learn to adapt, you can still push yourself. Just gotta know how to do it safely.
  31. Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    136235

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nicksox15 View Post
    This, so this! I lift early in the morning by myself so there isn't any staff at the gym anyways. So you just learn to adapt, you can still push yourself. Just gotta know how to do it safely.
    dont get me wrong, I completely agree! My only point was that if you are at a gym and there is a staff member that says no, it's pretty lame IMO. And also that there are the occasions when, at least anyone I know, could use a spotter. Most of the time, I am just fine without one, but sometimes it's necessary
  32. JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I have no problem spotting anybody at the gym. Better to be safe then sorry. If you end up with weight crashing down on you you're going to be wishing you asked for that spot. However you definitely dont need to go to failure on bench. Feel free to leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank
  33. nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,169
    Rep Power
    1435623

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    dont get me wrong, I completely agree! My only point was that if you are at a gym and there is a staff member that says no, it's pretty lame IMO. And also that there are the occasions when, at least anyone I know, could use a spotter. Most of the time, I am just fine without one, but sometimes it's necessary
    Oh I agree with that too! Very lame of a staff member to turn you down for that. You;d think they'd rather do that than most of the crap they have to do at a gym.
  34. mtinsideout's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Power
    440550

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I'm definitely not trying to say if you have a spotter your a jackass but you shouldn't rely on one every time you're in the gym. Also ever think about what happens when you fail on that last rep and your spotter doesn't catch it soon enough?? You need to learn when to hang up the weights is all I'm getting at.
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. looking for the best pump w/nos ether and hemodraulix
    By bdpeck in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 03:06 PM
  2. Jon Lester throws a no-hitter for the red sox!!!
    By Trauma1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
  3. Maybe no SERM for the next one
    By Brian5225 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
  4. its official no more T.O. for the eagles
    By BMW in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in