building muscle while low bf% vs high bf%?? - AnabolicMinds.com

building muscle while low bf% vs high bf%??

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

building muscle while low bf% vs high bf%??

I'm assuming it's easier to build muscle while in a higher bf% but what is the science behind it. Probably a stupid question but does anyone have any input on this?

Reason for my question is this: I just finished a bulk and I'm sitting at 14%bf. I could do an aggressive cut and be down around 9% in 6 weeks give or take. But would I be limiting myself by doing so. Goal is to be 7-8%bf by April so I have plenty of time. but I don't want to cut myself short on possible gains. Love to hear a scientific answer

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

nothing too scientific, but it's generally easier to cut when you don't have too much bf to drop
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Intermittent fasting protocol will give you some lean muscle and help you drop some body fat.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  187 lbs.

The advantage of bulking while at a higher bf% is that you get better leverage on most lifts and can lift more weight which may lead to better gains(Which is why a lot of powerlifters tend to have a higher bf%). On the flip side I think your hormones aren't optimized the best at a higher bf% if I recall correctly.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Greek and fl3x thanks for the reply. My original post was worded poorly. I dont have a problem cutting. My question: is it better to build muscle with a higher bf% or low bf%? Example: all things being equal(diet, training, etc) will I build more muscle at 14%bf or 9%bf? And why?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanall View Post
    The advantage of bulking while at a higher bf% is that you get better leverage on most lifts and can lift more weight which may lead to better gains(Which is why a lot of powerlifters tend to have a higher bf%). On the flip side I think your hormones aren't optimized the best at a higher bf% if I recall correctly.
    Thanks
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by rphash49 View Post
    Greek and fl3x thanks for the reply. My original post was worded poorly. I dont have a problem cutting. My question: is it better to build muscle with a higher bf% or low bf%? Example: all things being equal(diet, training, etc) will I build more muscle at 14%bf or 9%bf? And why?
    I would hypothesize that you would see more gains overall just because you're eating more. But the thing is, what happens when you cut? You're going to lose some gains.

That's why I would try intermittent fasting.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I vaguely recall not just anecdotal reports but also at least 1 scientific study that supported the notion that the optimal bf% for building muscle is 12-14%. As someone mentioned at higher bodyfat you have the issue of higher estrogen to deal with, whereas at lower bodyfat percentages you might not taking in enough food to grow and you might have to deal with low thyroid or high cortisol levels, especially as you approach very low bodyfat levels.

Obviously this is more of a sliding scale and would depend on your bodytype (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph), if you're on super supplements (steroids), along with other factors.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I vaguely recall not just anecdotal reports but also at least 1 scientific study that supported the notion that the optimal bf% for building muscle is 12-14%. As someone mentioned at higher bodyfat you have the issue of higher estrogen to deal with, whereas at lower bodyfat percentages you're not taking in enough food to grow and you might have to deal with low thyroid or high cortisol levels, especially as you approach very low bodyfat levels. Obviously this is more of a sliding scale and would depend on your bodytype (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph), along with other factors.
    Great info thanks
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post

I would hypothesize that you would see more gains overall just because you're eating more. But the thing is, what happens when you cut? You're going to lose some gains.

That's why I would try intermittent fasting.
    Ok got it thanks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best way to build muscle while lifting?
    By ninja636 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 11:45 PM
  2. Building muscle while burning fat
    By ljc100 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 01:47 AM
  3. Possible to Reduce BF and Build Muscle At Same Time?
    By Dynasty90 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
  5. Low dose vs. high dose
    By DmitryWI in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 05:36 PM