Best combinations for workout routine

ege96

ege96

Awards
Hi folks,

Just want to learn which body parts can be combined together in a workout ? What kind of combinations would you suggest. For 2-3 weeks I have been trying to find the best combinations but it seems they are not too efficient.

Thanks.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Well first of all, even if your program was awesome 2-3 weeks wouldn't tell you much. Going into the you need to understand that it will take months to see decent improvements.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a full body workout 3 times a week. Make sure to incorporate the 3 big lifts (squats, deadlifts and bench). You may want to alternate intensity on deadlift and squats though, as it can be taxing to hit both of those lifts hard in the same day.

Try a Mon, Wed, Fri plan and make sure your diet is aimed towards your goals. If you want to gain, dont gain more than 1lbs a week or it will mostly be fat and vice versa for fat loss. Dont lose more than a pound a week or it will be muscle too. This is a very general thing to say but for the sake of simplicity...

Hope this helps

ege96

ege96

Awards
Thanks for your response!

You're right,I also think same. 2-3 weeks can't make such a difference. Problem is about my planning, I am working out 4 days a week but not in a plan , morely with "feelings".
It's not a good habit when you eat well,sleep well to gain muscle.Training gotta meet dedication.
I love deadlifting and bench-pressing a lot and benefit from major lifts like you said.

Doing a full body workout really needs time -thing that I should spend with real caution- so doing 2 part for 4 day in a week with one day rest interval seems best for me.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lower-Focus on Deads
Upper-Focus on Bench/horizontal plane
Lower-Focus on Squats
Upper-Focus on Overhead press/vertical plane

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Lower-Focus on Deads
Lower-Focus on Squats
This is good suggestion

or catergorize your days into lifts and accesorry lifts

e.g. deadlift and than accessory lifts

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Yup, if you want to do a 4 day, upper/lower/upper/lower is the they way to go for a beginner. Make sure there is a rest day after day two and four. I wouldnt work out more than 3 days straight until you are more trained.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lower-Focus on Deads
Lower-Focus on Squats
I'll rejoice to the moon when I see noobz do legs 2x/week.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Lower-Focus on Deads
Lower-Focus on Squats
lol 5/3/1 style

op, this is pretty much the best split

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Best is the one you believe in. Dont worry about majoring on the minors. Even a bad program will get results with enough intensity, enough food, and enough sleep.

I do believe nearly everyone would benefit from focusing on what mankind has focused on for centuries to get big; squats, bench, overhead, deads, etc and supplement to fix your weak links. Which can change over time. And by time I mean over a span of months and years.

Full body works great if you follow the above recommendations. Most people that only know splits think you need like 15 or more exercises for a full body work out. You can do full body with squats and dips for example. 2 exercises.

Its much easier and simpler to design a program around a few major movements instead of body parts. Fewer movements can work more muscles than just working muscles.

ege96

ege96

Awards
Man, I don't believe in full body workouts. I've been doing 2 parts workout for a long time and I admit I benefited a lot from this method.

Currently I'm doing chest and legs, arms and abs,shoulder, and on shoulder on another day.

I'm focused on major lifts like deadlift/bench press/squats/overhead presses. And LOVE doing them. You suggest my plan ?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, there is nothing wrong with at least a stint (6 weeks maybe) of doing full body workouts on a handful of the 5-7 compounds. It teaches some good work ethic and learning to get uncomfortable while getting some overall systemic training. See 5x5 training

*** All that said... Sean's original post is pretty much the holy grail, if one is interested in full body transformation in power, mass and strength of the large(st) structures of the body.

ege96

ege96

Awards
Man could you give me an example routine (movements) ?? Including your upper/lower strategy. (For 4 days)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Man, I don't believe in full body workouts. I've been doing 2 parts workout for a long time and I admit I benefited a lot from this method.

Currently I'm doing chest and legs, arms and abs,shoulder, and on shoulder on another day.

I'm focused on major lifts like deadlift/bench press/squats/overhead presses. And LOVE doing them. You suggest my plan ?
your lack of belief is why you would not get optimal results from a full body program.

here is a way to get a full body workout with a movement based program.

start with the 4 days you listed, the main lift and then accessory work for those lifts. now take that accessory work and shift it over 1 day. if you have the days as squat, bench, deadlift, overhead, that would give you a upper and lower body, ie full body, workout everyday. plus it would allow you to be more fresh for more work and therefore have a higher overall intensity with the same frequency and possibly higher volume.

does that make sense?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man could you give me an example routine (movements) ?? Including your upper/lower strategy. (For 4 days)
Bench
Squat
Deadlift
OHP

There are your movements. Supplement however you want to, or however your points of failure dictate you need to.

ege96

ege96

Awards
Doing these four movements four times a week,will it be sufficient bro ?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. More doesn't always equal better.

Day 1- Bench Press, another chest movement, horizontal row, tri/rear delt
Day 2- Deadlift, lunges, good mornings
Day 3- Overhead pressing, another pressing movement if you want, vertical pull movement, bi/rear delt
Day 4- Squat, front squat, Romanian deadlift

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I don't really think many understood your question. These are the four movements that you would base each of the days off of. That's not to say that you were going to perform all 4 of these movements 4 times a week. You can rotate them.

So an example is:
Monday- hitting bench then completing the rest of a decent upper body workout including pulling motions like bent rows. Bench is that days staple though.

Tues: Base a lower day around Squats then leg accessory work.

Thurs: Dead lifts and then the rest of an upper day (this is also the day I throw in overhead press)

Friday: Back to legs so maybe front squats or back squats in a different rep range or intensity. Throw in a different stance of leg press to alternate you two lower day.

You really just want to use one of those for exercises to base an individual workout day on. That's not to say that you can't do more than one on the same day, you are just going to have to judge how you feel. You may feel like you're able to to conquer all of the upper body motions in one day and then all of the leg motions the next but id still vary the mon/ thurs and the tues/ fri routine somewhat. Doing two of those big motions (or more) in one day can be taxing.

Good luck

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't really think many understood your question. These are the four movements that you would base each of the days off of. That's not to say that you were going to perform all 4 of these movements 4 times a week. You can rotate them.

So an example is:
Monday- hitting bench then completing the rest of a decent upper body workout including pulling motions like bent rows. Bench is that days staple though.

Tues: Base a lower day around Squats then leg accessory work.

Thurs: Dead lifts and then the rest of an upper day (this is also the day I throw in overhead press)

Friday: Back to legs so maybe front squats or back squats in a different rep range or intensity. Throw in a different stance of leg press to alternate you two lower day.

You really just want to use one of those for exercises to base an individual workout day on. That's not to say that you can't do more than one on the same day, you are just going to have to judge how you feel. You may feel like you're able to to conquer all of the upper body motions in one day and then all of the leg motions the next but id still vary the mon/ thurs and the tues/ fri routine somewhat. Doing two of those big motions (or more) in one day can be taxing.

Good luck
Deadlifts are legs.

Monday-Squat
Wednesday-Bench
Friday-Deadlift
Saturday-OHP

"Legs"
Press
"Legs"
Press

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Deadlifts are almost everything.

I wouldn't label it, man. But yea, like I said.... pick one a day and rotate. Deadlifts work great for a pulling motion of an upper day as well as just "legs"... you don't have to force them into a leg day.

As a matter of fact I find it better sometimes for deads to not be part of a leg day. I squat heavy multiple times a week and doing deadlifts on the same day as heavy squats is rough on my CNS. Doing deads on the same day as OHP on the other hand is much easier for me to have a higher intensity

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see how people say Deads are for the back since the erectors are so heavily involved, but not so much for hypertrophy purposes. Wrecking your posterior chain Thursday, followed by squats Friday-would thoroughly suck donkey balls.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Yes. More doesn't always equal better. Day 1- Bench Press, another chest movement, horizontal row, tri/rear delt Day 2- Deadlift, lunges, good mornings Day 3- Overhead pressing, another pressing movement if you want, vertical pull movement, bi/rear delt Day 4- Squat, front squat, Romanian deadlift
^^ this! I stayed on a routine that pretty much mirrored this for a few month, and numbers shot up! I'm still pretty similar, but am doubling up lifts, then throwing in full body/compound/Oly lifts on my other days. To "not believe" in full body work, IMO, is kinda nuts...but that's just me

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deadlifts are almost everything.

I wouldn't label it, man. But yea, like I said.... pick one a day and rotate. Deadlifts work great for a pulling motion of an upper day as well as just "legs"... you don't have to force them into a leg day.

As a matter of fact I find it better sometimes for deads to not be part of a leg day. I squat heavy multiple times a week and doing deadlifts on the same day as heavy squats is rough on my CNS. Doing deads on the same day as OHP on the other hand is much easier for me to have a higher intensity
I hate the term "leg days", but DL are done along with PC or lower accessory work, including things like OLY squats, front squats, etc. Therefore, for people like me, deadlifts are not considered an upper body exercise (if one has to separate into upper/lower or whatever).

Deads + squats 2x/week, all on separate days, seems like poor programming. Real deads, not some mid-thigh rack pull into a shrug bullshyt.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate the term "leg days", but DL are done along with PC or lower accessory work, including things like OLY squats, front squats, etc. Therefore, for people like me, deadlifts are not considered an upper body exercise (if one has to separate into upper/lower or whatever).

Deads + squats 2x/week, all on separate days, seems like poor programming. Real deads, not some mid-thigh rack pull into a shrug bullshyt.
Agreed. I never penned DL's as an "only part" of the body lift. This is a huge main overall body lift and depending on how one's build is (ie: made for pulling) then good heavy time spent on this lift, makes huge transformations in the entire body's mass and power from head to toes. Rows or chins et al. are more "upper only"

I used this years ago and liked the layout, write up and simplicity...
And no, you do not have to use singles or really lower reps. (adjust the percents) You can do say 5x5's with a little tinker on a med/light/heavy set up and still get great over all mass and strength gains.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-triumvirate/

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
*goes to cry in the corner*

Haha I do a pull push leg split usually so yeah, I use them on my pull day. Wasn't always like that, just got the best results and was able to lift the hardest DL on days I'm not squatting too.

Rack pulls/shrug bs .... lol. I appreciate your assumptions.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
*goes to cry in the corner*

Haha I do a pull push leg split usually so yeah, I use them on my pull day. Wasn't always like that, just got the best results and was able to lift the hardest DL on days I'm not squatting too.

Rack pulls/shrug bs .... lol. I appreciate your assumptions.
I wasn't making any assumptions about you, I was speaking in generalities.

Dry thine eyes, youngster. ;)

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Haha yea no sweat bud. "Generally" I can agree with you guys.

Jackriddle

Awards
I think combination of weight training with cardio exercise is the right choice if you are looking for a combination. There are various types of combinations that you can choose for your workout sessions. You can ask your instructor for full body workout plan or split workout plan according to the body requirement. I used to take pre-workout supplements so that I can get energy and can do the workout for a longer time. My trainer suggested me to use USPlabs Jack3d supplement which taste amazing.

As, I used to do full body workout I also do cardio exercise when I am off to gym. I go to gym for 3 times in a week. This also helps in recovering my muscles. You can opt for overhead shoulder press with a dumbbells stationary lunge or front squat with bench press exercise. Moreover, the best combination is one that suits you and you can judge it by doing various exercise as every person has a different physique.