Best 3 day mass split?

dazzvxr

dazzvxr

Awards
Looking for some advice/opinions I currently train 5 days a week splitting bidy parts like chest one day back another then arms etc.. but im looking for an effective 3 day split as my circumstances have changed recently and 5 days a week is a bit much, done a bit of googling but id prefer to hear from people who have tried and tested 3 day splits

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Upper/lower/abs accessory work

Upper:incline bench to row superset,incline flys,over head press,chins or 21s,dips.

Lower:squat ,calve raises,good mornings,walking lunges.

Abs:10 minute ab circuit,reverse flys to side raises superset skull crushers and either a compound movement or cardio.

dazzvxr

dazzvxr

Awards
Thanks for the input, how many sets and reps would you recommend with that split?

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Looking for some advice/opinions I currently train 5 days a week splitting bidy parts like chest one day back another then arms etc.. but im looking for an effective 3 day split as my circumstances have changed recently and 5 days a week is a bit much, done a bit of googling but id prefer to hear from people who have tried and tested 3 day splits
I would strongly consider a push/pull/legs/rest split. There is really no need to have a whole day for accessory and abs work IMO. You will get all the ab work you need from the big lifts of any of the 3 days.

Either would work... a 3 day split really isnt going to vary much so there is almost no "right" answer.

Just make sure you are doing bench and overhead press/deads/squats on the appropriate days. I got serious results with this and I just started it up again as a matter of fact.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the input, how many sets and reps would you recommend with that split?
What are your goals? Mass with strenght or that puffy look?

dazzvxr

dazzvxr

Awards
My goal is mass and strength.. want to stay as lean as possible (hate looking puffy) I like the sound of push, pull, legs... dont suppose you guys know f any good sites that list a god routine for this split do you? Want to make the most of it not just pick one at random off some sight, cheers

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
My goal is mass and strength.. want to stay as lean as possible (hate looking puffy) I like the sound of push, pull, legs... dont suppose you guys know f any good sites that list a god routine for this split do you? Want to make the most of it not just pick one at random off some sight, cheers
Just Google "3 day push pull legs split".

If I had more time Id write out an example If it can wait until tomorrow I can do that.

These guys are all knowledgeable though and they should be able to help you too. I would just start out beginning each workout with one of the "three big lifts" (bench, deads and squats) each day, followed by at least two compound movements and then some accessory work and iso stuff. If your goal is to get lean then I would definitely keep your rest times in between 30 seconds in a minute long at the most and try to incorporate "giant sets" or circuit training into your routine to maximize your heart rate and intensity during your workouts. Like I said before, the two main things you need to be focused on are metabolic stress and metabolic intensity. Those two primary factors are what is going to entice your body to "signal" the right hormone production.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am switching to a 3 times a week full body routine.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm gonna be running push/legs/pull/rest for the first time. Kinda excited. Gonna do 4 weeks hypertrophy, 4 weeks low rep, 4 weeks high rep

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I am switching to a 3 times a week full body routine.
Bro I'm doing the same thing with HIT but only got two workouts in this week. I'm all natural and I've never done a full body workout. It shocked the living hell out of my muscles. Soreness beyond belief. Anyway both workouts went well just trying to force some adaptation

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro I'm doing the same thing with HIT but only got two workouts in this week. I'm all natural and I've never done a full body workout. It shocked the living hell out of my muscles. Soreness beyond belief. Anyway both workouts went well just trying to force some adaptation
Haha different thread.

Ya I decided to start from the very beginning. Might not be the best idea but worth a shot. It is taking some getting used to being so low volume.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
there are plenty of proven programs that are 3 days a week. look up some 5x5 programs. and try madcow, stronglifts, and 5/3/1 even has a 3 day version.

pick one you believe in, work hard, sleep hard, eat hard and enjoy your results.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-triumvirate/

Also there are numerous 3-Day splits if you find the ebook 5/3/1 Beyond

Examples:
Week 1
OHP/Squat/Bench
Week 2
Deadlift/OHP/Squat
Week 3
Bench/Deadlift/OHP

and continue rotating

Or a full body 3-Day
Week 1
-Light Squat, Heavy Bench, Rows
-Heavy squat, DB Bench, Rows
-Light Squat, OHP, Deadlift
Week 2
-Light Squat, Heavy Bench, Light Deadlift
-Heavy Squat, Light Bench, Light Deadlift
-Light Squat, Heavy Bench, Heavy deadlift

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Push/Pull/Legs can be awesome.

I've been doing the power muscle burn 3 day split lately and love it.

B

bel1

Awards
my P/P/L template looks like this

D1
1) Bench press (moderately wide grip),
2) incline bench press (or ohp, shoulder press)
3) cable crossovers (or dumbbell flyes),
4) wide grip upright rows (cable or barbell),
5) side lateral raises (cable or dumbbell),
6) tricep pressdowns (whatever attachment feels most comfortable),
7) overhead/incline tricep extensions

D2
1) Chin-ups (shoulder width supinated/neutral grip),
2) pull-ups (moderately wide pronated/neutral grip),
3) seated rows (moderately wide pronated grip, 45 degree angle between torso and upper arms),
4) face pulls
5) rear delt rows (wide grip, pull bar to neck, 90 degree angle between torso and upper arms),
6) bicep curls
7) hammer curls

D3
1) Romanian deadlifts,
2) front squats/back squats
3) leg curls (or glute-ham raises),
4) leg extensions (or leg press, hack squats, walking lunges etc, just pick a quad dominant exercise),
5) barbell hip thrusts (or cable pull-throughs),
6) standing calf raises,
7) seated calf raises

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is mine. Just started it this week

Push

Flat bench 5x5
Db incline 4x8
Cable Flys 2x15
BB shoulder press 5x5
Shoulder press down 4x8
Close grip bench 5x5
reverse grip bench 4x8

Pull
Deadlift 5x5
T bar row 4x8
Wide grip pull ups 2 sets to failure (body weight)
BB curl 5x5
Db incline curl 4x8

Legs
Squats 5x5
Front squats 4x8
Leg press 2x15
Standing calf raises 2x20

I'm going to do this for 4 weeks then keep the same routine but change what movements I do and rep ranges

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
my P/P/L template looks like this

D1
1) Bench press (moderately wide grip),
2) incline bench press (low incline, slightly wider than shoulder width grip),
3) cable crossovers (or dumbbell flyes),
4) wide grip upright rows (cable or barbell),
5) side lateral raises (cable or dumbbell),

6) tricep pressdowns (whatever attachment feels most comfortable),
7) overhead/incline tricep extensions

D2
1) Chin-ups (shoulder width supinated/neutral grip),

2) pull-ups (moderately wide pronated/neutral grip),

3) seated rows (moderately wide pronated grip, 45 degree angle between torso and upper arms),

4) face pulls

5) rear delt rows (wide grip, pull bar to neck, 90 degree angle between torso and upper arms),

6) bicep curls

7) hammer curls

D3
1) Romanian deadlifts,
2) front squats/back squats
3) leg curls (or glute-ham raises),
4) leg extensions (or leg press, hack squats, walking lunges etc, just pick a quad dominant exercise),
5) barbell hip thrusts (or cable pull-throughs),

6) standing calf raises,

7) seated calf raises
Is there a reason why you do not have any OHP's in that layout?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I'm gonna be running push/legs/pull/rest for the first time. Kinda excited. Gonna do 4 weeks hypertrophy, 4 weeks low rep, 4 weeks high rep
That's cuz you a BALLA!

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Mine was:

Push

Flat Bench 3x3 (Or weighted dips 5x5, 3x3 never felt effective for dips, even weighted)
Incline DB Bench 5x5
Pec Dec 3x10

Overhead Press 3x3
Arnold Press 3x8
Lateral Raise 3x10

Close Grip BP 3x8 (or skull crushers)
Reverse Grip Cable Pushdown 3x10

Pull

Deadlift 3x3
Weighted Chin Ups 5x5
Bent Over BB Row 5x5
Cable High Row 3x8
Shrugs 3x12

BB curls 3x12
Reverse Grip Cable Curls 3x12

Legs

Squats 3x3
Straight Leg DL 3x8
Hack Squat (machine) 3x8
Double Leg Hamstring Curl 3x8
Single Leg Hamstring Curl 3x8
Calf Press 3x12
Calf Raise (machine) burn out

Weighted back extension 3x12
Abs, exercises and reps always varied.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think bc we're the only two who gave/give it a true, 100% run and saw how awesome it can be.
I gave it a 100% run. Got good results but I like high volume+pause explode+ heavy ass weight+bodypart splits. Idk what kind of training you call that but dc did get results. Just like my style more.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think bc we're the only two who gave/give it a true, 100% run and saw how awesome it can be.
Yeah many people stop around week 6 lol I admit I've done it before but I've ran it full a few times and love it

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gave it a 100% run. Got good results but I like high volume+pause explode+ heavy ass weight+bodypart splits. Idk what kind of training you call that but dc did get results. Just like my style more.
Everybody prefers different stuff for sure. DC isn't my main routine, but I use it once or twice a year as a change of pace routine to shock my body. Plus it's my only routine I incorporate rest pause in so I really get good results from it.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's what a lot of people have a hard time with, the volume.

I'm not saying you're a liar or anything like that, I respect your opinion, but most ppl don't go balls to the wall with DC. I know I have nothing in the tank after a DC workout and more sore than when using higher volume stuff. I think it's mostly bc it's harder to 100% in 20 sets VS. Everything you've got for 1.

Like R1 said, it's not for everyone.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I gave it a go and just grew too much haha. Weight gain was just crazy.

That's what a lot of people have a hard time with, the volume.

I'm not saying you're a liar or anything like that, I respect your opinion, but most ppl don't go balls to the wall with DC. I know I have nothing in the tank after a DC workout and more sore than when using higher volume stuff. I think it's mostly bc it's harder to 100% in 20 sets VS. Everything you've got for 1.

Like R1 said, it's not for everyone.
I am doing HIT right now which is similar to DC as far as volume goes. I do 12 exercises but only 1 set for each. If you don't give 100% then you miss out. Harder to do than say.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gave it a go and just grew too much haha. Weight gain was just crazy.

I am doing HIT right now which is similar to DC as far as volume goes. I do 12 exercises but only 1 set for each. If you don't give 100% then you miss out. Harder to do than say.
See, I can't do, let's say, full body workouts. I don't feel warmed up until after my first few sets lol. One reason why I like DC is it incorporates a few solid heavy warmups before you get into the rest pause sets

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
See, I can't do, let's say, full body workouts. I don't feel warmed up until after my first few sets lol. One reason why I like DC is it incorporates a few solid heavy warmups before you get into the rest pause sets
I do some calisthenics to warm up. Then it is basically go time. I do slow deliberate movements.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always plan to try DC but I know that I can't do a cArb cut off of 4 hours pre bed.. I follow IF so I need those calories at all meals.

I can't bring myself to run a program that requires a specific diet. Therefore I wouldn't want to waste my time and not get the desired results.

I would imagine the carb cut off is due to the low volume aspect of DC.

For mass/strength in "off season" / not beach season lol I typically turn to full body splits like most have suggested here. 5x5 and 3x3 work great for the big lifts.. 5/3/1 as well. And the appropriate accessory work you can't go wrong.

Incorporate various sled pulls, pushes, etc as well.

I also really like using the advanced GVT by poliquin.

Rather than 10x10 (light weight)
You use 10x5, then progress 5-8% in weight for the next workout and move to 10x4, then 10x3
It really gets a huge strength increase and the volume is just right to grow as well with good nutrition.

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Definitely don't run DC on and IF diet, it isn't for nancies.
I always plan to try DC but I know that I can't do a cArb cut off of 4 hours pre bed.. I follow IF so I need those calories at all meals.

I can't bring myself to run a program that requires a specific diet. Therefore I wouldn't want to waste my time and not get the desired results.

I would imagine the carb cut off is due to the low volume aspect of DC.

For mass/strength in "off season" / not beach season lol I typically turn to full body splits like most have suggested here. 5x5 and 3x3 work great for the big lifts.. 5/3/1 as well. And the appropriate accessory work you can't go wrong.

Incorporate various sled pulls, pushes, etc as well.

I also really like using the advanced GVT by poliquin.

Rather than 10x10 (light weight)
You use 10x5, then progress 5-8% in weight for the next workout and move to 10x4, then 10x3
It really gets a huge strength increase and the volume is just right to grow as well with good nutrition.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I suppose, unless you're leaving it all in the gym. ;)
Just saying bc DC prescribes LISS. Weight programs shouldn't prescribe cardio!! And LISS takes too damn long to be "effective"

So for the sake of mass programs DC is kinda oxymoronic imo. I see the results in people, but I just feel like there's less strict routes to those results

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just saying bc DC prescribes LISS. Weight programs shouldn't prescribe cardio!! And LISS takes too damn long to be "effective" So for the sake of mass programs DC is kinda oxymoronic imo. I see the results in people, but I just feel like there's less strict routes to those results
It's LISS cardio 3 days a week, 20-40min fasted. This may seem difficult if you've never been in a serious prep but if you have, ****s a walk in the park bro

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's LISS cardio 3 days a week, 20-40min fasted. This may seem difficult if you've never been in a serious prep but if you have, ****s a walk in the park bro
Well no that's nothing lol. Guess I read an incorrect source

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well no that's nothing lol. Guess I read an incorrect source
Yeah man, sadly there's a lot of Mia information out there about DC. True protein dot com had a DVD. If you're serious about DC is advise it and subscribing to intense muscle dot com

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To all those interested in DC, it appears I'll be starting a full DC off season right after Christmas. This will be the real McCoy, diet, training, cardio & supplements.....

I'll keep you guys posted on the exact start date (I return from cancun dec 26). My last show for the year is this upcoming Saturday. I'll need some time to recover before htting it balls to the wall with DC then it's hardcore to time until I begin prep, more than likely.

T

TexasGuy

Awards
I know, and I'm saying that DC training doesn't leave enough in the tank for much more than LISS.

Looser routes can still work but I find conversations in general always circle back to best practice.

If you can do HIIT or what have you concurrently with DC, you're doing DC wrong. It's a chore to walk for a while if you're hitting DC correctly. I'm not interested in comparing DC to another routine, or debating the effectiveness of a singular training tool over another when DC is a comprehensive training program leading to the results you acknowledge.

I've gone outside DC boundaries with success, with DC as the root, but when I stick to the routine, like any routine, it gives me best results. Routines are designed a certain way for a reason.

Just saying bc DC prescribes LISS. Weight programs shouldn't prescribe cardio!! And LISS takes too damn long to be "effective"

So for the sake of mass programs DC is kinda oxymoronic imo. I see the results in people, but I just feel like there's less strict routes to those results

T

TexasGuy

Awards
To all those interested in DC, it appears I'll be starting a full DC off season right after Christmas. This will be the real McCoy, diet, training, cardio & supplements.....

I'll keep you guys posted on the exact start date (I return from cancun dec 26). My last show for the year is this upcoming Saturday. I'll need some time to recover before htting it balls to the wall with DC then it's hardcore to time until I begin prep, more than likely.
Have you run it before? You're in for some gains. ****ing major. Don't let it win, brother! You'll understand.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you run it before? You're in for some gains. ****ing major. Don't let it win, brother! You'll understand.
Yes but with playing college baseball it was hard to do a full go. I did do a 12 week run of it a few winters back and got big & strong (diet wasn't on point) but I got up to about 232 and 18" arms (body fat closer to 18-20%)

I had another 8 week run back in 08 and my results were amazing, everything was on point.

Now siting at 180 and 5% body fat with total diet/training control (out of school with a real job and a GF who supports me 100% & is a national level bikini competitor) I can only imagine the gains that are a bout to come.

I added about 10lbs to my frame back in 08' with minimal body fat with only 50/50 cardio. Now I have a tredmil in my complex (just a few hundred feet away)

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Yes but with playing college baseball it was hard to do a full go. I did do a 12 week run of it a few winters back and got big & strong (diet wasn't on point) but I got up to about 232 and 18" arms (body fat closer to 18-20%)

I had another 8 week run back in 08 and my results were amazing, everything was on point.

Now siting at 180 and 5% body fat with total diet/training control (out of school with a real job and a GF who supports me 100% & is a national level bikini competitor) I can only imagine the gains that are a bout to come.

I added about 10lbs to my frame back in 08' with minimal body fat with only 50/50 cardio. Now I have a tredmil in my complex (just a few hundred feet away)
I'm excited for you.

I don't know if this goes against the grain and don't want to create tension but I would love to see you run DC and then run it with USP Labs supplements.

I'm not a huge supplement guy but I'm happy to see a represented company running a hardcore program and outside of the IF trend.

A genuine question I have is what supplements you will be using, how you expect them to help and why?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm excited for you. I don't know if this goes against the grain and don't want to create tension but I would love to see you run DC and then run it with USP Labs supplements. I'm not a huge supplement guy but I'm happy to see a represented company running a hardcore program and outside of the IF trend. A genuine question I have is what supplements you will be using, how you expect them to help and why?
Bro....IF.....please lol. I'm pretty old school myself man. I implement a few new things here and there but I'm in the best shape of my life using old school tactics.

I'm not 100% on the run down but I KNOW it will include the following....

AP (carb uptake/greater insulin utilization)
Cissus (joint health is crucial when your inclining 315 for reps)
Powerful (sleep and GH production)

Outside of that, I'm not 100% of what I'll be running. Probably old school jack3d. I need a rush of energy, no pump products plus added creatine and beta-alanine ;-)

T

TexasGuy

Awards
Bro....IF.....please lol. I'm pretty old school myself man. I implement a few new things here and there but I'm in the best shape of my life using old school tactics.

I'm not 100% on the run down but I KNOW it will include the following....

AP (carb uptake/greater insulin utilization)
Cissus (joint health is crucial when your inclining 315 for reps)
Powerful (sleep and GH production)

Outside of that, I'm not 100% of what I'll be running. Probably old school jack3d. I need a rush of energy, no pump products plus added creatine and beta-alanine ;-)
I'll be reading.

If you could leave a link in this thread directing me to the log it would be greatly appreciated.

I must say I'm skeptical of the supplement industry in general, I use creatine, protein powder, a vitamin and fish oil on a consistent basis but I would be curious to see what you think about cissus for joint support. Heavy weight isn't easy on the body.

I really hope people peel away from IF. At a basic level, if someone can fit ALL of their macros in to such a limited window, they probably aren't carrying the muscle I appreciate. Good luck to you, be big!

Your GH product, do you have to be fasted for a number of hours before intake for it to be effective?

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll be reading.

If you could leave a link in this thread directing me to the log it would be greatly appreciated.

I must say I'm skeptical of the supplement industry in general, I use creatine, protein powder, a vitamin and fish oil on a consistent basis but I would be curious to see what you think about cissus for joint support. Heavy weight isn't easy on the body.

I really hope people peel away from IF. At a basic level, if someone can fit ALL of their macros in to such a limited window, they probably aren't carrying the muscle I appreciate. Good luck to you, be big!

Your GH product, do you have to be fasted for a number of hours before intake for it to be effective?
1-2 hours max for powerfull to be most effective