How to wrap a broken toe

hokiebird

hokiebird

Awards
I broke or sprained my big toe a little over a week ago. The color is back to normal but it's still swollen a bit and I still can't bend it. I skipped my last leg day just because i wasn't feeling comfortable about training on it, but I'd like to go ahead and do my leg routine today. Squats will be my main lift and if I do them properly, it shouldn't put any pressure on my toe, but I also like to do Deadlifts and usually add calf raises and maybe a few lunges.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to wrap or protect a big toe that was injured?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I have busted my toes a bunch from years of soccer, and haven't found any real decent ways. Taping them together feels weird as hell, and then just wrapping tape around that 1 toe doesn't do much. I asked my Dr about it and that was all the options he gave me. All those lifts should be fine, minus the calf raise though.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I broke a few over the years. (big one and little one) One in fact was a DB that came apart and a tenner crashed right on it from overhead. I think the wax flew out of my ears when that one hit and broke...! I never lifted in bare feet after that.
I never wrapped them either. I didn't even know you could!?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I broke a few toes after a bunk of 4x4's rolled on me. Snapped the big toe completely in 2 and had to get some stitches. They never wrapped it or anything, just gave me this annoying boot that was a b1tch to squat in.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Popsicle stick taped over and under and avoid toeoff for a bit until a doc sees it. taping to another toe isnt a terrible idea either as Ive done that for an athlete before just still hurts like hell. Calf raises as mentioned shouldnt be done though the pressure will only hinder everything. Best option would be the first and cheapest imo

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I broke a few toes after a bunk of 4x4's rolled on me. Snapped the big toe completely in 2 and had to get some stitches. They never wrapped it or anything, just gave me this annoying boot that was a b1tch to squat in.
Boot 4TW lol

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah right, I hated that thing. Rubbed my foot raw. Not very aesthetic either, lol.
2 this day, I have yet to see someone rig up one to actually be comfortable

napalm

napalm

Awards
2 this day, I have yet to see someone rig up one to actually be comfortable
^^^

This, can't be done, just tape it to the one next to it and deal with it.

<-----6 yrs of Tae Kwan Do, it's happened to me a dozen times...

hokiebird

hokiebird

Awards
I ended up just going the no tape or wrap route. I skipped the calf raises but didn't really have any trouble with my other lifts. I had originally planned to go a bit lighter on my squats, but I felt really good those and did my normal routine.

I guess the main thing is just to stay focused while you're there and don't do anything stupid.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
If you get pain in your toe when you squat, it's just a good indicator that you're doing it wrong, as your weight should be on your heels.